Feedback Forum

• Creator
    Topic
    David Goldberg
    Edge Studio Staff

The Edge Studio Feedback Forum is the best place for you to post a recording and get feedback from the community! Record in your home studio, upload the file, and see what people think. This is a great place to get some advice on your technique, on your home studio, or to ask for people’s opinion on your reads. Remember, that this is a community forum, so please remain positive and encourage your peers in helpful ways. If Edge Studio feels that a user is too negative, or antagonizing other members of the community, they will have their posts deleted, and risk being banned from further communication. 

Stay positive, listen to each other, and have fun!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
    jasjol71
    Participant

Hello, everyone! Hoping to get some feedback on this documentary script read for my narration demo. Thanks!

In 1980, the most violent eruption in North America in nearly a century wiped out virtually all life for 200 square miles. In recent years, scientists have detected ominous signs Mount Saint Helens is awakening. Their quest to understand one of the most complicated volcanoes in the world is revealing new mysteries deep inside the mountain.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
      tomnunes
      Participant

There are a lot of good things in this read. Great voice, great studio sound, your words are clear and the delivery was smooth with no undue pauses (except maybe before “deep inside the mountain”) As for you tone, you certainly sounded interested to me. I think what you need to work toward how to make you choices (word emphasis, etc) sound more organic, natural. It’s at risk of coming across forced and artificial. I’m not an expert in documentary, but I just happened to be listening to a narration by Peter Coyote today. He has a very smooth and even delivery to his narration. It’s a couple of notches above monotone but so engaging and draws you in. I’d checked out some of his narrations. Keep at this until the language and way of speaking feels second nature to you. If you love the genre, I think you can be great at this.

jasjol71
        Participant

Thanks, Tom. That was very helpful feedback. Peter Coyote is the gold standard in nature docs, I would say! Your observations about what makes him pleasing to listen to were super helpful, so thanks again! Jason

artyom123
        Participant

Nice work, and to your point tom I agree that he could choose which words to emphasize, and which to plow through. keep up the good work!

jasjol71
          Participant

Thanks, artyom!

SacScotty
      Participant

Hi Jas: I did not hear what Tim did relative to the tone. I liked the pace and overall delivery. I got your enthusiasm/passion for the topic and you had the right level of sincerity. This would be a good area for you.
      Best,
      Scott

jasjol71
        Participant

Thanks a lot for your feedback. I appreciate the encouragement!

TimDKietzman
      Participant

Well, I really like the words you hit and your tempo is very fitting for a narration script. I think your voice would be a good fit for a nature documentary, but I don’t really enjoy the tone you used. You sound kind of sarcastic, condescending, or even uninterested in what your explaining. If you’re not interested in the subject, I’m sure listeners wouldn’t be either. On another note, your recording setup is good and I think you’re on the right track for preparing your demo.

jasjol71
        Participant

Tim, thanks for that good constructive critique. I like what you said about being intrigued (or not) by the subject. My coach brings that up too. May be something to it! 🙂

Tina
    Participant

Hey guys! Three reads I tried. Thanks for any feedback!

Tina

Butterball brings you the joys of turkey day. Friends and family drop in to bask in the warmth of the season. Celebrate this summer with Butterball turkey on the grill. Tender, juicy, surprisingly simple. HAPPY THANKSGRILLING from Butterball.

These days, it seems as if every car insurance company needs a symbol. Things like a blanket or a hand. Well, if Geico had a symbol, it would surely be the frontal lobe of the cerebral cortex. You see…it’s here, deep within the brain, that nerve impulses figure out, “Hey…it’s smarter to buy car insurance from GEICO.” Over 10,000 drivers use Geico.

Purina One Special Formula For Cats is made with real chicken. Good news for your cat. Great news for your canary. For a complete adult diet for your cat and the real chicken he wants, give him Purina One Special Formula. Your canary will thank you for it. Purina One. Second to none.

Attachments:
      John Trape
      Participant

Hi Tina,

I very much enjoyed listening to all three reads. You just sounded so cheery throughout, but it was #2 that really caught my attention. I think that it was the way in which you interpreted this particular script that made it so, so natural and conversational. For example, your slight pause and then change of tone as you read “the frontal lobe of the cerebral cortex,” was, I thought, very effective. It made me smile, because it was unexpected. Perhaps, more importantly, that is what made the advert, and your voice, stick with me.

Regards,

John

Robert Broussard
      Participant

Tina, Those where good. I think #1 could have used a little more tone changes at end “Happy Thanksgrilling from Butterball. Good work.

Tina
        Participant

Thanks Robert!

Bil-Bo
    Participant

Motel 6 Do-over
    I’ve just been hearing about this trendy new hairstyle called a man bun. I mean….what’s next – the beehive? Well, Motel 6 recently got a new updo of sorts too. With renovations nationwide, and even with our fresh modern look, you’ll still find rooms at the lowest price of any national chain. You can save up enough money to get yourself a haircut or maybe a hat. We’ll leave the light on for ya’, at Motel6.com

Attachments:
      rahulmittal79
      Participant

In this training, we’ll explore our Crisis Management program, its structure, and how it works to protect Synopsys by effectively identifying and responding to incidents that pose a threat.Let’s start by taking a closer look at Crisis Management. mx player for pc

SacScotty
      Participant

Hi Bil-Bo: This is just cool! I agree with Tina that a little more ‘attitude’ on the man-bun might work, but this is really good. (Also, brings back many memories. I do remember when Motel 6 was actually six bucks 🙂 )

Tina
      Participant

Really nice pacing on this read. The music ties in very well too. Can’t really think of any critique other than maybe infusing your opinion into when you say “man bun”. Like how you do feel about it? Is it confusing, interesting, scary?

nice read!

aylinsings
    Participant

Hi all! Just a couple commercial practice scripts. Your feedback is appreciated!

Thanks!

U of I Community Credit Union:

It’s hard not to be a fan of a credit card that gives you more
    while saving you money every single day.
    The Illini Visa Rewards card
    Available only through U of I Community Credit Union

Glade:

No one says to wake up touch
    or see, or taste, or hear the roses
    They say to wake up and smell the roses
    Because scent makes us feel like nothing else can
    Inspired by the best feelings in the World
    Glade

Attachments:
      Tina
      Participant

Hey there!

I loved your energy on the first read. Good pacing and nice interpretation of the script.

I love the hint of the laugh I hear on the word roses in the sentence “hear the roses”. Very genuine, grounded read and I can hear the smile in your voice.

NoreenQuadir
    Participant

Hi, I made some new recordings (done via my phone just for practice) for commercial copy. Would appreciate feedback. Thanks!

Attachments:
      Tina
      Participant

Truebill- I think it would be helpful to think of a lead in line. What happened right before? Who are you talking to and why are you telling them this information? A recommendation would be to practice this one as if you are having a conversation with someone and every line is an answer to a question they are asking you. I did this on some reads and it helps it come out more natural sounding.

Pretty Litter- This one sounds like a reading. I think just taking the moment before and establishing who you are telling this to will make the world of difference.

Wix- This read was the most natural and free flowing. Really nice pacing and you sounded confident in the material.

Just a few tweaks to your reads and you’ll get there! Hope this helps!

NoreenQuadir
        Participant

Thank you! That’s very helpful. I appreciate it.

jmtarleton
    Participant

Hello kind folks! Uploading a few takes of commercial reads I’m working on. I really appreciate the time and any feedback you have.

All the best,

John

PSA ON ENVIRONMENT

A key to reducing waste is to shop wisely and purchase only what you need

You can also buy household products with less packaging

And when it comes to food opt for loose produce

So reduce, then recycle the rest

The more you know

Aspen

At the gate the everyday vanishes

Here your thoughts are a little clearer

Your appetite for life a little sharper

This mountain, as captivating under summer flowers as it is under snow

Aspen is a one-of-a-kind resort

Unhurried Carefree And cozy like an Alpine Village under a starry night

Ambien

There is a rhythm to life

We sleep at night and wake in the morning

It’s the sleep cycle that helps keep us in a healthy balance

But for millions of Americans sleep doesn’t always come easily

For them there’s AMBIEN

Attachments:
      tomnunes
      Participant

Hi, John. Some nice reads here. Words are clear. For the most part, you avoided unnecessary pauses. The energy in your read is great for the PSA. You had a similar energy or tone for Aspen and Ambient, which, in my opinion, calls for a calmer energy. Aspen feels like it calls for an easy, relaxed, dreamy, leave your troubles at the door and relax tone. If you haven’t, find a person you’re talking to. What do you want them to feel? Where are you while saying this. Paint the picture for them. The line “This mountain, as captivating…” has unique punctuation. It’s kind of like “This mountain (man-oh-man) as captivating…

For Ambien, this may be just my interpretation, but an ad that promotes sleep should sound calming and relaxing. There’s an interesting arc to the city you can play with more. 1) this is nice. 2) this is nice. 3) and this is nice. 4) this is bad, 5) but this will make it good.

If you are also looking for feedback on sound quality, the audio has a lot of echo. You’ll have to treat your recording space. Are you working with anyone to help with that?

Thanks for sharing, John.

RYoung
    Participant

This was taken from the script of a movie about Columbus. Trying or practicing narration to go along with a storyboard! Any thoughts are welcome. Oh and this is the first part thats why it ends so abruptly, Thanks.

All sit beside her. TREASURER SANCHEZ takes a document
    and starts to read aloud.

On screen the words: GRANADA – SPAIN – 1500

SANCHEZ
    Your Majesty would wish to know the true facts concerning the island of
    Hispanola, our first settlement in the New World, and the activities
    there of your servant, Christopher Columbus, Admiral of the Ocean Sea,
    Governor of that Island. You will remember with what hopes and promises
    he beguiled us — the truth is that he now presides over a state
    of chaos, degradation and madness beyond imagining.

SANCHEZ punctuates each word carefully.

SANCHEZ
    From the beginning, Columbus proved himself incapable of managing the
    affairs of the island. He appointed his brothers to important positions,
    at once injuring the pride and dignity of the nobles who had gone
    with him. He promised to build a city, the City of Isabel, named
    after Your Majesty. What he actually built was nothing but a
    collection of huts, and that in the wrong place, for all of it was
    easily swept away by rain and mud. Is that not so, Brother Buyl?

The PRIEST nods.

BROTHER BUYL
    Yes, Your Honor.

SANCHEZ
    He promised gold. Not finding the
    easy quantities he promised,
    Columbus commanded each Indian to
    pay an annual tribute. Most being
    unable to, they were barbarously
    punished, against the express wish
    of Your Christian Majesties…

Attachments:
    Jeff Guerrette
    Participant

Hello, My name is Jeff, I attached a couple of scrips I recorded for homework. Look forward to your feedback.

Thanks.

Attachments:
      eglover177
      Participant

I think you sound great i heard i flaw the way you pronounced Wall it sounded like war

NoreenQuadir
        Participant

These sound great. I would add more energy towards the end especially with the call to action.

JasonCawley
    Participant

Hey looking for some feedback. Thank you guys.

Beginner paddle boarders should choose a wider, longer and thicker board. This will offer the greatest stability to learn the paddle board basics on a flat body of water. As you gain experience, you can progress to a smaller paddle board. The most common board shape for beginners is an All-Around paddle board. However, there are a few different types and shapes of paddle boards to consider.

Attachments:
      ritadebur
      Participant

I liked the pace and clarity of the words. Very natural- the only thing I thought was the word ‘however’ was a little rushed without enough of a pause.

NoreenQuadir
        Participant

This is great – clear and easy to follow/understand!

jay.triggs
    Participant

Good Evening everyone, I wanted to get some feedback on a recording I did this week for Narration. Thanks in advance.

Cheers!

As the tide covers the dock with just an inch or two of water these Tiger Sharks are making their move. Nurse sharks can sometimes propel themselves onto docks when going after scraps of fish. It’s a learned behavior, and evidence that sharks may come on land to feed. Is that also what these sharks are attempting to do?

Attachments:
      JasonCawley
      Participant

Hello Jay,

Good stuff, I would just try to get a little more variance in the pitch to keep it engaging throughout.

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.