Feedback Forum

• Creator
    Topic
    David Goldberg
    Edge Studio Staff

The Edge Studio Feedback Forum is the best place for you to post a recording and get feedback from the community! Record in your home studio, upload the file, and see what people think. This is a great place to get some advice on your technique, on your home studio, or to ask for people’s opinion on your reads. Remember, that this is a community forum, so please remain positive and encourage your peers in helpful ways. If Edge Studio feels that a user is too negative, or antagonizing other members of the community, they will have their posts deleted, and risk being banned from further communication. 

Stay positive, listen to each other, and have fun!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
    acbattag
    Participant

4h chance trying to upload!! Potential demo script! Looking forward to your feedback!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by acbattag.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Toque
      Participant

I like it! My only criticism would be that the first “GNC” at the beginning of the read sounded a bit rushed, which can lead to “What did she say?” My coach has been encouraging me (when the company’s name is, or contains, initials) to be a bit more deliberate in articulating each. Toque

Andrea
    Participant

Hi everyone,

This is my first homework assignment. I would love to hear your feedback on the quality of my read and my neutral English. My studio is not fully set up yet, so the acoustics might not be great. Thanks for your help!

What exactly goes into candy to make it so sweet and yummy? Join Professor Hoody on a fantastic journey to find out how candy is really made. In Making Candy, the professor’s quantum transporter sends him to a real chocolate factory to explore the candy world. You can just taste the excitement in this candy-coated adventure.

Attachments:
    JAE Factor
    Participant

Hello All,

This is my first assignment upload and editing experience in a while. Please, let me know your thoughts. Thank you!

Attachments:
      Mitch_Crawford
      Participant

Joseph! I love the warmth of your voice!! In the first recording, the pace was good for the first half, but after :18 it seemed just the slightest bit choppy at the pauses. If that is smoothed over a bit, this is an ideal reading. The way the word “software” is spoken at :17 is veritably award-winning. In the second reading, the line “It is…for the moment…unique.” sounds a bit robotic (:17). Feel free to let your smooth voice run through that more naturally. Can’t wait to hear more!

John Trape
      Participant

Good morning, Joseph,

I very much enjoyed listening to your two recordings. I found myself relaxing as you spoke and never felt that I was being rushed. Indeed, your pace, diction, and enunciation, backed up by the warmth in your voice, made the recordings sound natural, sincere, and personal.

Thank you for sharing,

John

RYoung
    Participant

This was an audition I had done recently more like a narration or poem. Thanks for any comments.

Attachments:
      tori811
      Participant

I was able to get a sense of feeling from your tone, great job!

Mitch_Crawford
      Participant

Rich, this is amazing! Your warm, deep, rich tones are outstanding. You have a completely unique voice, but, and I hope this isn’t taken wrong, I was reminded of William Shatner for a very brief moment doing his talk-singing…perhaps it was the accompanying music? Anyway, that is meant to be a compliment. But again, I love this reading!

Bil-Bo
      Participant

Hey Rich
      Sounds great! Hope you got the gig!
      BillH

CYeschenko
    Participant

Further practice! Any comments are appreciated, especially those focused on performance. Thanks!

Energy Star Lightbulbs

The traditional lightbulb: a ground-breaking invention in 1879. It’s time we switch to longer-lasting Energy Star lightbulbs. They’re more efficient than the old bulbs — like a text message is more efficient than a carrier pigeon. And they cut down on our energy costs. Because in our own ground-breaking age, we deserve a light bulb that saves us some cash. Saving energy saves you money. Learn more at Energy Savers dot gov. Brought to you by the U.S. Department of Energy and the Ad Council.

Attachments:
      Mitch_Crawford
      Participant

C: Another great read–I love your tone changes throughout, and the way you are able to, kind of…stop a word before starting the next one. Tough to describe, but it’s really cool. If I could do a miniscule nit-pick, at :17 the word “in” disappears too much. Super picky, sorry. Great read!!

Tommy Fahrner
    Participant

Hi all,

I am on a Commercial demo track. Here are my first recordings as homework for my coaching sessions. I don’t have the proper acoustics yet, but will likely it set up next time I post. Thanks in advance for you feedback!

Spotify
    With Spotify, it’s easy to find the right music for every moment – on your phone, your computer, your tablet and more. There are millions of tracks on Spotify. So whether you’re working out, partying or relaxing, the right music is always at your fingertips. Soundtrack your life with Spotify. Subscribe or listen for free.

Kraft Macaroni & Cheese
    The Caped Crusader meets the Big Cheese. Evil, cheeseless noodles BEWARE! It’s new DC Super Heroes Macaroni &Cheese in 8 of your favorite Super Hero shapes, smothered in THE CHEESIEST cheesy KRAFT cheese sauce. Wow!

Cheers,
    Tommy

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by Tommy Fahrner.
    Attachments:
      RYoung
      Participant

In listening to your delivery, not the acoustics, there is a natural quality to your delivery however almost to natural? I would try to connect a bit more to the script to give a more realistic deliver and slow down especially in “Spotify” Thanks for sharing that!

Tommy Fahrner
      Participant

Uploaded a second time as MP3s.

Also added Amstel Light ad:
      Could be the world’s best tasting light beer? Open minds open Amstels. Brewed with all natural ingredients.

Attachments:
        JAE Factor
        Participant

Tommy, you truly have the voice for commercials. I really enjoyed your Kraft Mac and Cheese segment; it sounded like an ad kids would latch onto.

That said, I felt like your tempo on the Spotify and Kraft deliveries was a bit fast. I think if you slowed down a bit and connected with the script, these would be even more awesome! Great job overall!

John Trape
    Participant

Hello everyone,

I have these three narration scripts that I have recorded for my forthcoming coaching session and would very much appreciate any and all feedback.

Voice for the City of Toronto
    You know that term “We’re all in this together?” Well, it’s true.
    While some of us might be working in government and others not, we’re actually all in the same boat. You see, we’re citizens as well.
    We all want the same thing. A city that works for everyone. As fast and efficient and as relevant as can be. Thriving, accessible, and inclusive.

Recycling
    I don’t know about you, but I like our planet a lot! And one of the easiest ways we can help protect the Earth is by recycling. That’s where instead of throwing things like plastic in the trash, you put them in a special bin so they go to a kind of factory to be reused. You’ve probably recycled things like plastic bottles before. There might even be a recycling bin in the room you’re in right now! Recycling is important because it helps keep the Earth clean, especially from trash made of plastic.

Official Alaska Vacation Planning Video
    This Official Alaska Vacation Planning Video is filled with plenty of breathtaking scenes. But more important, it’s loaded with all the information you need for planning a trip to Alaska. Like when to go, what to wear, and what to see. So if you’ve got Alaska on your mind, you’re going to love this video. Let’s begin with snow sports. This is definitely the place. For cross-country and down-hill skiing. For snowboarding, tobogganing, and even ice fishing.

Thank you,

John

Attachments:
      Shmuel
      Participant

Hi John,
      Thanks for uploading these. A few comments, and it’s only my opinion, just a fellow VO student (albeit with acting experience):
      Your diction is clear, and I don’t hear any breathing.
      No hard P’s or S’s. You know how to record, and you’ve got the right equipment, that can be heard right off the bat. The quality of the recording is top notch.
      You have a pleasant, mellifluous voice.

In each of the samples, I would give it more energy and more interest. Some strategic pauses might help, but ask your coach. Mine said that a commercial is like a shark – it’s got to keep moving or it will die. But I felt all the pieces were in one continuation, and was lacking some vocal “movement” or something like that.
      With Toronto, I missed you feeling like you are encouraging someone to row with you in the boat, or some such. We are a team, we can do it! Something like that.
      Recycling: I didn’t quite get that you relate to the planet like it’s a treasured pet, or a best friend. I need to feel that you really like the planet. And heck, so should all of us, right? Consider adding a very slight edge (pardon the pun) to the word “plastic” as if it’s poison. Dont’ go overboard with it, though.
      Alaska: I was missing that you are truly awed by these breathtaking scenes. Note that “Alaska on your mind” is a take off on the song “Georgia on My Mind”, it would be nice to hear some sort of vocal hint that it’s similar. I would like to hear the LOVE you have of this really cool video that you are going to show us.
      Wishing you success !
      Shmuel Goldstein

John Trape
        Participant

Hi Shmuel,

Thank you very much indeed for your extremely constructive, thoughtful, and encouraging feedback. I greatly appreciate the time you took to do that. And, of course, your observations and advice are precisely what I need.

Respectfully,

John

Akingsley19
    Participant

Hello Everyone,

I recorded the Advil script from the Edge Studio Library for practice. Any feedback is welcome! And any tips as well! I admittedly ran out of breath halfway through, but I felt like this was one of my better takes.

Thanks!

Muscle aches? Nothing is proven more effective or longer lasting than Advil. For long-lasting relief of muscle aches, count on Advil. In a recent clinical study, Advil was found to work better than Tylenol in relieving the pain of sore muscles the day after exercise. No wonder doctors recommend Advil for muscle aches more than any other non-prescription brand. ADVIL — Advanced medicine for pain.

Attachments:
      CYeschenko
      Participant

Nice work- there are moments of this that really work, like the way you emphasized “the day after exercise.” For the rest I would keep working to build your breath support and as you continue working on scripts, the flow of your read will get smoother. Something that may help is focusing on a clear image of a person you are relating the info to- that way it will sound more natural/have fewer micropauses and will connect with the audience better as well. Keep it up!

monibr16
    Participant

Hello everyone,
    Here’s another practice run for my coaching sessions. I’m in my closet haha but all other feedback is welcome, thank you!

Attachments:
    monibr16
    Participant

Hello everyone,
    Here’s another practice run for my coaching sessions. I’m in my closet haha but all other feedback is welcome, thank you!
    Monique

Attachments:
Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.