Feedback Forum

• Creator
    Topic
    David Goldberg
    Edge Studio Staff

The Edge Studio Feedback Forum is the best place for you to post a recording and get feedback from the community! Record in your home studio, upload the file, and see what people think. This is a great place to get some advice on your technique, on your home studio, or to ask for people’s opinion on your reads. Remember, that this is a community forum, so please remain positive and encourage your peers in helpful ways. If Edge Studio feels that a user is too negative, or antagonizing other members of the community, they will have their posts deleted, and risk being banned from further communication. 

Stay positive, listen to each other, and have fun!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
    JasonCawley
    Participant

Hello,

Any feedback is appreciated.

——
    Just as Einstein changed the way we understand time and space, and Freud changed the way we understand the workings of the human psyche, Charles Darwin changed forever the way we look at natural forms. The shapes of bodies, of finches’ beaks and fishes’ fins, were not fixed at some moment of creation; rather, forms evolved and were altered by circumstance. “Life On Earth” is a great collection of individual stories, natural histories that, while sounding Kiplingesque–how the snail got its shell, how the bacterium got its DNA–give us a deeper appreciation of the world and our place in it. This episode of Natural History shows how scientists continue to interpret the narratives embodied in natural forms.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Shmuel
      Participant

Sound is great, no background noise or distortion. Your voice is good, too. Diction good, enunciation good. This read needs a bit of a kick. Be excited by watching this show, it’s really cool, even if you don’t think it’s cool. I want to find out the narrative in why that praying mantis on the window sill appears the way he appears.

Querida56
    Participant

Hello All. I’m re-submitting an Edge script for feedback. (I’ve now resolved the file naming issue on my computer.) Your comments are welcome. Thank you!

Attachments:
      Toque
      Participant

Hi Querida. I’ll just comment on the recording quality. I’m hearing a steady hum in the recording. Not sure why that might be happening, but something I suggest you investigate. Toque

Jayburglar
    Participant

Here are 3 practice commercial scripts I recorded as homework for my coach. I’d appreciate any feedback/tips. Thanks!

AMERICAN TIRE SUPPLY
    Free. Now when’s the last time ya’ heard that? A while…right? Well at American Tire Supply, when you buy one all-weather radial tire, you get another one free! Plus, get a free alignment! Hey, with a deal like this, how can you NOT afford to visit. So hurry on down to your local American Tire Supply, where you can still hear the word free. Subject to dealer participation.

MOVIE GALLERY
    Have you ever noticed what happens when you put in a movie?
    It’s amazing.
    You just stick it in,
    Sit back,
    Hit play, and…
    P**f.
    The rest of the world just disappears.
    Gone.
    Suddenly, it’s just you and your family.
    You remember them. Your family. Some of them look like you.
    At Movie Gallery, we have thousands of great movies. Including your favorite holiday movies plus the latest releases. And every one of them is guaranteed to have the same magical powers.

Movie Gallery.
    Play on.

A 1 STEAK SAUCE
    With steak, you want to make every bite count. That’s why we use A-1 Steak Sauce. A-1 brings out every single bite of steak, or even hamburger. Mmmmm, delicious. For me, there’s only one steak sauce, A-1. Because A-1 has all the taste that makes every bite count

Attachments:
      Shmuel
      Participant

Hiya JB, Sound great, no noise or distortion. Voice good as well. Listened to the first one only. Recommendations: The theme here is Free. Free here is a special word. Treat it with the respect and reverence it deserves. There is also a hint to “Land of the Free and Home of the Brave”. After all, Free is also an American slogan. Be more excited.
      Also, I would ask your coach what to do about the last sentence, “”subject to dealer participation”. It seems to me that you should read that quickly with a different tone. It’s less important than the other stuff, but needs to be said. It would be interesting to hear what your coach says about that, maybe I’m way off on this. Wish you success!

RYoung
      Participant

Jay, really like your delivery very relaxed and also you’re inflections seem to be pretty spot on. I would only say that especially on the a1 sauce commercial you may want to add a little smile at the end to emphasize the product otherwise great work and thanks for sharing that.

RYoung
    Participant

This is a unique script from the library, a while back. It was written by Richurd. Thanks for listening any comments most welcome!

Where is the home of your heart?
    The machinations of man covets
    and squanders our time as though it
    were of some significant value.
    Our hearts become preoccupied
    with issues and perplexities
    that never seem to go away.
    So debilitating are it’s affects we
    long for solace.
    The heart longs for a place of respite.
    Invariably we are drawn back to the land.
    The earths constancy and tranquil
    endurance washes over us, cleansing us.
    A vast array of landscapes
    that all have the same effect.
    They take back the space that is stolen by man
    and fills your heart with a calm and pleasant reward.
    You can travel the world of man with your heart
    but it is the land that you will come home to.
    This grand earth in all it’s splendor,
    is the place we call home.
    Our fondest memories are
    bound up in the land on which we stand.
    Memories of times that are now lost to
    the machinations of man.
    A new generation can never know
    nor recover all that has been lost
    and that is now preserved only in our memory.
    A day will come that is not so far away
    when even that treasure trove will fade and disappear.
    Yet from this land we can draw strength that all will not be lost.
    For within it’s soil are the seeds of renewal.
    Therein lies the hope that mellows our souls,
    the hope that all that man has wrought
    the earth will erase.
    The earth will once again be a place
    we can call home.

Written and contributed by Richurd
    Music Bed : Susan Boyle – Mull of Kintyre – Windsor 2012

Attachments:
    adrothfield
    Participant

Hi all! Looking for feedback on performance as well as overall sound quality (my first attempt at using my DAW to make a better recording). Thanks!

Fitbit Sense “Transform Your Health”
    Smart tech is everywhere: smart fridge, smart car, smart doorbell. But FitBit makes you smart about your health. It’s more than a smartwatch; it’s a smarter way to transform your health.

Attachments:
      RYoung
      Participant

Hi, you may want to convert to mp3 so everyone can listen instead of downloading the wav file. your style seems fine for this genre, a little disjointed though and try a more relaxed approach? Good luck and hope to hear more from you!

JustJohn
      Participant

I think the use of the interrogative inflection on “smart doorbell” is a good touch. I wonder if you’re attempting to talk a little lower than your natural voice range once or twice (e.g., the word “everywhere” near the beginning). In “it’s a smarter way to transform your health,” I hear you emphasizing both “smarter” and “transform.” I wonder how it would sound if you only emphasized one of those two words. Good read overall, I think.

Wes@1972
    Participant

Bermuda
    RELAX, RECHARGE, UNWIND…You might be thinking to yourself, “What is there to do in a 21-square mile paradise? Well, you’re in for a surprise. And a pleasant one at that. Whether you seek adventure by land or by sea, you’ll find it in Bermuda. If you dream it, you can do it in Bermuda.

Attachments:
      mara_sherman
      Participant

I think you have a great voice and the right idea with this script, it just needs a little finesse. You start off nice and slow and relaxing, and then kind of speed up and take us out of the relaxation. Try keeping it at the same chill pace throughout and use pitch modification to highlight what’s relaxing about Bermuda. Look up some pictures of Bermuda beaches to get you in that mindset and try reading it at a moderately slow pace throughout and I think it will naturally come out really nicely from your voice and natural inflection.

Shmuel
      Participant

Hi Wes, great voice, sound is perfect. Agree with Adroth here that you need to map out what you are saying. Usually the third item should be a bit more special, not just a list. Like say “UNWIND” with more of a stress. You need to act it out. What is there to do in a 21 sq mile paradise Should sound like a slightly frustrated person asking a question. And the surprise should sound fun. Make sure Bermuda is stressed somehow. Bermuda is the star here. Wish you success !

adrothfield
      Participant

Hi Wes@1972,
      You’ve got a great sound, and love what you did with those three words at the beginning. From there, I didn’t get a good sense of who you were talking to. Try to map out this copy’s beginning, middle, and end. You’ve already got the beginning!

-Alex

Wes@1972
    Participant

Pioneer Speakers
    There is more out there. More to see. More to hear. More to feel. There is more beauty, excitement, wonder and adrenaline. Where everything you watch, everything you listen to, everything you experience, you experience as though for the very first time. Pioneer– seeing and hearing like never before.

Attachments:
      Shmuel
      Participant

Sound great, no noise or distortion. Voice sounds good. My $0.02 : Vary the emotion and the level. Contrast ” feel ” vs seeing and hearing. Same with ” adrenaline “. Ditto with ” the first time”. Remember, the first time you see or hear or do something, it’s special. Let’s hear that special in your voice.

JustJohn
      Participant

Good voice! You’re articulating very well, but I think sometimes the articulation comes at the cost of a natural flow. “More to see, more to hear, more to feel,” for instance, ends up sounding a bit detached. Can those words flow together a little more, as though you were simply talking to another person? “Where everything you watch, everything you listen to, everything you experience” is the best part of the read. Good variation in that three-item list, and decent flow. After that, I feel like your energy drops a little, and your pauses cause a bit of a “choppy” sound. Maybe try reading it with absolutely no punctuation, just letting everything flow together, and then start putting the punctuation back in, making the pauses fewer and shorter. I think this could be a really excellent read with just a little tinkering.

Johnwatkis
      Participant

Hi Greg,

You made some nice choices with inflection and you have a clear, resonant voice. At times it sounds as if you’re reading. I suggest a more conversational tone. This has more of a radio announcer feel.

Johnwatkis
        Participant

Not sure why I said Greg. Wes@1972

Wes@1972
    Participant

Viking River Cruises
    Come away with us on a journey to more fascinating destinations than you could ever encounter any other way. Sail the legendary waterways into the heart of the world’s greatest cities with Viking River Cruises. Elegant. Stylish. Exceptionally Comfortable. Spend less time getting there and more time being there.

Attachments:
      JustJohn
      Participant

I think the best part of your read is “Elegant, stylish, exceptionally comfortable.” It’s the most committed-sounding part of the read. At the very beginning, the “C” on the first word explodes a bit excessively. It’s clear that you’ve chosen words to emphasize. When you’re not emphasizing words, however, I think the tone sometimes falls a little flat. It sounds like you placed a comma between “waterways” and “into,” which makes it sound like you’re emphasizing the word “into.” I wonder what it would sound like if you didn’t have that little pause there. Great voice!

jessnh4
    Participant

Hi all, looking for feedback on anything, including the read and recording quality. Thank you!

Script:
    What’s that hissing noise? It’s a boa constrictor! These snakes have been known to grow up to 18 feet long. Unlike other snakes they don’t use their poison to catch their prey–instead they squeeze their victims. Oh, now that’s a hug you don’t want to experience.

Attachments:
      cbehrens
      Participant

I understood your point of view and tone throughout the read! The imagery that resulted from your read was great, too!

Bil-Bo
    Participant

Breyer’s Vienetta
    Breyer’s has created a spectacular ice cream dessert called Vienetta. But, despite its delicious premium ice cream, and its irresistible crisp, chocolatey layers — Vienetta will leave you with one small problem … VIENETTA FROM BREYER’S … one slice is never enough.

SIMPLY ORANGE “ORANGE JUICE” 30 SEC TV COMMERCIAL

(BIRDS, CRICKETS, OUTDOOR NOISE ETC. SFX)
    WELCOME. TO THE SIMPLY ORANGE TOUR.
    THIS IS OUR PLANT. (VIDEO ORANGE GROVE)
    THESE ARE OUR WORKERS. (VIDEO ORANGES)
    AND THIS…IS UPPER MANAGEMENT. (VIDEO LOOKING UP AT BEAMING SUN)
    BUT WHAT YOU WON’T FIND AROUND HERE…IS ANY FREEZING…FLAVORING…
    OR CONCENTRATING.
    WHICH BRINGS US TO OUR END PRODUCT.
    SIMPLY ORANGE. (VIDEO PITCHER OF ORANGEJUICE)
    HONESTLY SIMPLE.
    (HOOT OWL SFX) (VIDEO OWL ON TREE LIMB)
    THAT’S JUST THE NIGHT WATCHMAN.

ARNOLD BREAD 30 SEC RADIO

THE ARNOLD BREAD MAN. WHEN I WAS JUST A LITTLE KID, HE’D MAKE DELIVERIES TO OUR HOUSE EVERY DAY, JUST LIKE THE MILKMAN AND THE ICEMAN. I REMEMBER TO THIS DAY, THOSE SPECIAL TINY LOAVES HE CARRIED AND THE BIG SMILE ON HIS FACE WHEN HE GAVE ME ONE. I KNOW THE ARNOLD BREAD MAN DOESN’T DELIVER ANYMORE, BUT EVERY DAY I CAN STILL SEE A VARIETY OF ARNOLD’S BREADS ON THE GROCER’S SHELVES — SO I KNOW HE’S STILL AROUND.

Attachments:
      RYoung
      Participant

I would say very smooth deliveries! Nice work Bill.

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.