Feedback Forum

• Creator
    Topic
    David Goldberg
    Edge Studio Staff

The Edge Studio Feedback Forum is the best place for you to post a recording and get feedback from the community! Record in your home studio, upload the file, and see what people think. This is a great place to get some advice on your technique, on your home studio, or to ask for people’s opinion on your reads. Remember, that this is a community forum, so please remain positive and encourage your peers in helpful ways. If Edge Studio feels that a user is too negative, or antagonizing other members of the community, they will have their posts deleted, and risk being banned from further communication. 

Stay positive, listen to each other, and have fun!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
    jmtarleton
    Participant

Hello good people! Here are a few more commercial homework files. I very much appreciate comments and feedback you may have.

I will say this space (and neighborhood) are noisy, but I am working on some better treatment for the small room I use.

Many many thanks,

John

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
      ericazetti
      Participant

Very friendly & natural voice! Great diction and pacing as well!

acbattag
    Participant

Hello All! Would lover your feedback, especially on tone and pace. I know I have a couple of hard “p” sounds in there so working on that piece. Thanks so much!
    Amber

It’s not that you’d ever find yourself removing puddles from a remote mountain trail…
    But with a full size, cordless, wet-dry vac…you could.
    Powerful,… durable…and the ability to run on two batteries for double the run time.
    The nine gallon, wet-dry vac from Rigid…
    More power, more freedom…more reasons to use it.
    Available at the Home Depot

Attachments:
      JustJohn
      Participant

Overall, I think this is quite good. I think the pace is fine, and the tone is good. You mentioned having a couple of extra-hard plosives in this read. I hear that, and I wonder if it might partly be the result of over-stressing words that don’t need to be stressed that much. “Power” and “double” sound less like you’re naturally stressing them, and more like you decided to stress them, if that makes any sense. The emphasis in “you could” seems a little bumpy as well. Again, though, there’s a lot of good stuff in this read. I think you have a good sense of the pace, and your tone overall is a natural, “relatable” one. I think you’re generally hitting the pause lengths just fine.

acbattag
        Participant

Makes complete sense. Thank you for the feedback!

danielh04
    Participant

Hello!

Few more practice reads, any feedback is welcomed!

Pedigree:
    As one of the world’s leading publishers of books and articles on dog nutrition, the makers of Pedigree can offer a lifetime of reading on the topic. But for your dog we recommend the condensed version. Healthy nuggets – with anti-oxidants and vitamins to help strengthen your dog’s immune system. Crunchy outside, soft inside – Just the way dogs like it. Healthy nuggets, found only in Pedigree.

Uber:
    It’s date night in America, and roughly 21 million people are going out. That’s great for Dave, because he’s also going for a night out. Only he’s making some extra cash by driving with Uber.

Attachments:
      mara_sherman
      Participant

Your voice sounds great and the tone is well suited on both reads, but they’re both a little fast- try slowing them down just a bit. Also maybe just add a touch more excitement into Dave’s night out. Great job!

acbattag
      Participant

Hi Daniel –
      For the Pedigree one – I really like how you said “just how dogs like it”. I got the feel that it was actually a dog trying to sell the product to their owner. I wonder if you take that approach to the tone if you’ll be able to gain more energy into the read. The read was very smooth though. I recall some of your earlier posts and can tell that you’ve been working on it. One other element is to work a bit on the diction to bring a little more clarity to your words. I am now doing a vocal warm-up before recording and this has helped me a ton. Here’s a link to what I use if you are interested.https://youtu.be/tW08injjI1M

For the Uber read – I want to be a bit more excited about Dave going out, but I do like the slight change in pitch compared to your first read.
      Good luck!
      -Amber

JTLeyba
      Participant

I like the Pedigree, as it was smooth, well paced, and accurately read. That said, I felt that the reading was a little flat, are you smiling as your reading? In the Uber one (also good) it sounded like you had more of a smile, especially when you talked about date night. But overall, good job!

Pmag
    Participant

And maybe just a 3 in one for commercial copy. Thanks again.

-M

Attachments:
      acbattag
      Participant

I love that we have one of the same reads and I’ll be interested in the contrasting feedback we will get!
      Read 1: You started out great – I felt like you were pulling me into a full-on story as opposed to a commercial. I felt like you lost that about mid-way through and got a bit into a rhythm in your read. I would recommend changing up the pace a bit so it felt like you were telling a story to your best friend instead of reading a story to an audience. Very clear and easy to listen to though – great voice.
      Read 2: Again you started out great! I think you got a bit into the iambic pentameter about halfway through and were a bit too rhythmic even as this was poetry. I really think this could be a great one for you though and would try to focus on maintaining your purpose throughout the read.
      Read3: This is our same read! Love how your first part starts off and specifically as you read the wet-dry vac line, through “you could”. I could see your audience and know your purpose. My biggest recommendation is to work on not throwing away the end. Home Depot and Rigid are both your clients here and you’ll want to carry them through to the end of the read. I have this same problem and often have to re-record the last lines a few times until I don’t through them away.

Great work! Best of luck!
      Amber

danielh04
      Participant

Overall, I thought all three reads were great, it was also nice to learn that you can have a different range and tone since it’s noticeable in the second recording. Although, for the third one, it felt like at the end of the read, you dropped the enthusiasm a little bit when mentioning “Available at the Home Depot.” I don’t know if that was intended, but just something I picked up and saw as odd. Your diction and pacing was good, but keep attention on words like restaurant, of course, we don’t want to overly-enunciate, but we also don’t want to leave off some letters.
      Hope this helps! Great read.

Pmag
    Participant

Trying out the history channel on this one.

Attachments:
    Pmag
    Participant

Playing catchup on uploads for class. Apologies up front for the bombardment.

Attachments:
      Chad4674
      Participant

awesome work! the pitch and tone was consistent. the “um delicious” line was perfect. great job!

SuperLuke
    Participant

After training with my coach, I will be recording my first demo tomorrow morning. Attached are my 8 characters. I would like feedback about my enunciation, my performances, are all my words clear enough, with and without an accent?
    Hear from you guys soon and wish me luck

Attachments:
      acbattag
      Participant

Love your energy and hope the demo recording goes well! I had some challenges understanding a few things, but wonder if this was just because you were a bit too close to the mic or if your gain was set too high? At the end when you go into the western cowboy accent, I felt like you were straying between a western cowboy and an old gothic character, so would just recommend clarifying a bit. Really enjoy how you play with the variety of pace!
      -Amber

JTLeyba
      Participant

So, I don’t do character stuff, as such feel free to take what I say with a grain of salt.
      I had some trouble understanding some of the accents, such as the first two and the dragon slaying and horse characters. In addition it felt like you lost some of the accents mid way through your performances, but maybe you did that on purpose as to show your range. For Example the “put the gun down and keep playing” guy. It sounded like he had something in his mouth (which was a nice touch) but lost it and got it back. Personally my favorites were the magician and the “weapons contracts” guys. They were clear, easy to understand. I think those two were your best out of the reel. But like I said I don’t do character stuff so take this feedback with a gain of salt.
      Good Luck recording your demo! You got this!

cbehrens
    Participant

These are scripts intended for children audiences. I would appreciate any performance-related feedback! Also, if you have a preference between the two “Lemur” options, let me know. Thanks!

Attachments:
    suecat
    Participant

Hi, I’m new so you know I need you honest feedback! Thanks

Attachments:
      acbattag
      Participant

Hi Suecat –
      Welcome to the forum! I couldn’t listen to these easily as they were exported in an .m4a vs an .mp3. I’m thinking that’s why you don’t have any feedback.
      Kashi Read: Your enunciation and tone of the read are great. When you say “must there be h**l in a heavenly…” line, I think you may want to make sure that you think about the purpose of the line and what you are trying to envoke from the person you are speaking to. Love the ending – great way to keep us interested.
      Chewy Read: Make sure to know who you are speaking to. This felt more like you were reading it to me then telling me something about Chewy. I know our coaches tell us all the time, but picture that person you are trying to talk to and let that help inform your pitch and tone.

Good luck to you! Looking forward to hearing more!
      -Amber

suecat
        Participant

Thank you soooo much for your feedback! I’ll be sure to get the correct files out! But I am so glad you could hear them.

Shmuel
    Participant

Here are two commercial reads. DryFly and Great Courses Plus. Feedback would be appreciated.
    Developed for its distinct tastes
    And its earned international acclaim
    Made with patience, that’s been honed on America’s blue ribbon trout streams
    Hand-crafted in the Pacific Northwest
    Reach for the top shelf
    Reach ….. for Dry Fly
    Available throughout the U.S.
    Go to dryflydistilling.com
    Learn something new each day
    Languages ….. Religion …. Science
    Live a better life
    Hundreds of subjects …. thousands of streaming videos
    Start your free trial today
    The Great Courses plus
    (streaming now on Amazon, Apple TV, Chromecast and Roku)

Attachments:
      [email protected]
      Participant

You sounded great for both of the reads, pro voice and sound! I really liked your enthusiasm and inflection for “Great Courses”, for “Dry Fly” maybe adding more energy to some of the key words so that its more clear about the audience its targeting, “fly fisherman”, “blue ribbon trout streams”.

Shmuel
        Participant

Thanks much

danielh04
      Participant

I was completely hooked on the first commercial, very good diction nonetheless. For the second commercial, I don’t know if the pace was the best, perhaps going fas was something you were achieving? It felt a little bit rushed for me and I was a little bit overwhelmed.

Shmuel
        Participant

Got it, daniel. thanks

Chad4674
      Participant

Hi Shmuel! I enjoyed both commercials. the first commercial I felt like I was on an open field with a lake in front of me. may sound weird but truly liked it. I also liked the second commercial. the second commercial there were some areas I though the words were stressed long (daaaay, Sciencccce) maybe that’s what you were going for so I could be wrong. overall both were great.

Shmuel
        Participant

Got it, thanks, Chad.

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.