Feedback Forum

• Creator
    Topic
    David Goldberg
    Edge Studio Staff

The Edge Studio Feedback Forum is the best place for you to post a recording and get feedback from the community! Record in your home studio, upload the file, and see what people think. This is a great place to get some advice on your technique, on your home studio, or to ask for people’s opinion on your reads. Remember, that this is a community forum, so please remain positive and encourage your peers in helpful ways. If Edge Studio feels that a user is too negative, or antagonizing other members of the community, they will have their posts deleted, and risk being banned from further communication. 

Stay positive, listen to each other, and have fun!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
    MarkosKandilis
    Participant

Howdy! I’m currently developing my commercial chops with the aim of recording my demo in June. Feel free to have a listen to these samples and let me know what you think. Thanks!

Commercial 1: Ziploc
    Only Ziploc brand bags have a unique interlocking zipper to lock in freshness in a way no
    other bag can. When it comes out this fresh, you know it went in a Ziploc bag. Ziploc. We’ve
    got a lock on freshness.

Commercial 2: Fidelity
    Powerful sector research. Education and tools. Expert insight, cutting edge ideas, and 30 years of sector fund investing experience. Fidelity Investments. Go to Fidelity Investments.com /sectors.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Lilbelle1487
      Participant

Hey There!

Ziploc and Fidelity are both great reads. I hear some hesitancy that smooths out in Ziploc read. It could be a bit more up beat as well. Very nicely done overall.

ElcysVoice
    Participant

A THIEF ACCUSED

M-me? steal the gem M’lord? laughable, really! I’ll admit, I’ve done some petty burglary in the past… But! but, I served my time for that! These preposterous accusations… do you really think I’d be capable of such a heist? P-please M’lord you must reconsider, please? You can’t be serious M’lord you must understand! No! Please, have mercy!

Hi! I’m trying my voice out on a script that is outside of my normal delivery. Please let me know what you think.

Hellokitty76
    Participant

Hey guys, I’m new to this and would like feedback please. Thank you for your support.

Attachments:
      MarkosKandilis
      Participant

Hey there, sounds like a fun read! I’m assuming it’s for some animation work, or possibly a children’s audiobook? Defining the intended use will help in directing your delivery to make sure it’s format-appropriate. You definitely sound like you have the ability to voice work aimed at a younger audience, so kudos there!

Shmuel
    Participant

Practice from the Edge Library. Merit-Andrew roadside service.

Attachments:
      ericazetti
      Participant

Great read, love the friendly/casual tone! Maybe try slowing down a little bit so I can hear the offer a bit better

Hellokitty76
      Participant

Thank you for the feedback.

MarkosKandilis
      Participant

Nice natural read! Maybe consider emphasizing the benefits, like “just $51 dollars/waive…/free…” to highlight why the listener should take action now with this offer rather than wait for another time to consider it.

Shmuel
    Participant

This is a testimonial about an investment company called IINToo, which offers people with the funds to invest, alternative methods of investing. The point with a testimonial is to sound very natural, like yourself just talking to the person recording. If it sounds acted, the listener will tune out and think it’s a fake. You folks, of course are privy to the knowledge that it’s a fake, but don’t tell anyone else – it’s our secret. Feedback is welcome.

Attachments:
    Shmuel
    Participant

I saw this and kind of fell in love with it. It’s half way between commercial and narration. Feedback is welcome.

Attachments:
      RYoung
      Participant

Shmuel, Great job on this, sounds like you have acting experience! Most reads on this sound fake but what yours stands out with is simply your honesty in talking about yourself!

Brad
    Participant

Hi Friends, Uploading some more homework. Working on clarity, pace, natural speech, connection, you know… all the things
    Happy to get feedback!

Bayer Aspirin
    Your heart isn’t just yours. Protect it, with Bayer aspirin. Be sure to talk to your doctor before you begin an aspirin regimen.

Missouri Tourism
    Take a one tank trip to Missouri. If outdoor fun is your M O, the St. Charles area is for you. Grab a bike and pedal through the heart of Missouri’s wine country. You’ll find charming towns and BnB’s along the way. Plan your one tank trip, at visit MO dot com

Tractor Supply Stores
    Out here, we know you’re ready for a fresh start in a new season. When gardeners dig into fresh ground. When land owners need a little horse power to get property looking its best and when taking care of pets and animals gives us new purpose. Out here, 42,000 of us in over 1,900 Tractor Supply stores are here to help with home grown know how and everything you need for spring and with the services that make shopping easier than ever. Tractor Supply. Everything for your life, out here.

Attachments:
      Shmuel
      Participant

Great voice in general, sound perfect. All the tech stuff you nailed.
      Bayer: like it. Good acting. Very slight hard T’s, but it’s minor.
      Missouri: I don’t know how, but I heard the smile. Good. I would up the pacing a bit more, and vary the pitch a bit.
      Tractor: Missing the feeling of “out here”. That’s the theme of this “out here”. It starts and ends with it. You need to really feel that this is seriously cool stuff. I’m not quite getting that. Wow, 42,0000 of us, that’s a lot. And in 1200 stores that a lot of stores, too. Wow, need to feel that. And when you say easier, you need to make it a bit upbeat. The final Tractor Supply should sound like this is the best thing since sliced bread. ‘Cause it supplies the wheat that makes that bread.

Lilbelle1487
        Participant

Bayer: Was very pleasant
        Missouri: I thought it ran smoothly just needed to maybe hear more than one tone. It doesn’t feel adventurous. Hope that helps.
        Tractor Supply: I really like this one. I do agree with Shmuel. It could stand to be a little more upbeat.
        Your tone overall is great! And so is the pace.

Lilbelle1487
    Participant

Sound check. I did homework a couple weeks ago that was difficult to hear. It had some other vocal flaws, but I got technical help. Here is the same clip but improved sound hopefully. All feedback is welcomed.

Attachments:
      Brad
      Participant

Great work Lilbelle, I remember your previous read. Definite improvement!
      I might add thinking about being excited as you read this… not more volume but excitement in your voice. Imagine telling about a cool thing you just did. We tell friends fun things with a different kind of animation. Just as a suggestion.
      Also it seems you may have run out of breath at the end. ‘at staying here’ sort of dropped off. Perhaps try to find other places to get your catch breath to be able to complete the line.
      again great work!

Lilbelle1487
        Participant

Thanks so much Brad for your feed back. I’m posting again today, hope you’ll follow up to see if I took the feedback correctly.

TimDKietzman
    Participant

It’s been a while since I uploaded any scripts. I have begun prepping for my next demo in Narration. Any feedback is appreciated. My main goal was to speak at a suitable tempo and perform lists in a way that’s varied and interesting. Also, I tried something new with my recording setup, whatcha think?

4H (Corporate)
    It began with the seed of an idea. In 1902, the heartland needed folks to embrace new advances in agriculture. 
But leaders with open minds, strong hearts and willing hands weren’t in abundance. 
Luckily, kids were. 
By empowering the next generation to lead, 4H took root. 
And grew. 
Grew kids who are confident and strong. 
Who are curious enough to question and capable enough to find the answer. 
Who stick to a job until the job gets done. 
Who know how to work with others. And how to lead. 
4H has kept right on growing. 
Out of the farms and into the towns. 
From the suburbs to the cities. 
Anywhere curiosity roams. 
And confidence thrives. 
Anywhere technology can be advanced. 
And achievement is valued. 
Anywhere positive change is possible. 
And giving back moves entire communities forward. 
When you think about it, it makes sense that we began with farming. 
After all, 
True leaders aren’t born. 
They’re grown. 
4H GROWS HERE

Children’s Educational Space Game (e-learning)
    Today we’re going to explore all of the planets in our solar system, and some other places as well. We’ll travel into the future when astronauts live throughout the solar system. On each world we’ll see what the weather is like, what we would wear, and what we would do to have fun! Grab your oxygen, put on your seatbelt, and let’s blast off!

California (Travel Narration)
    It’s easy to understand why the United States went to war to get California. A land full of wonders, where one man’s chance discovery triggered a mad rush for gold. And where a new generation of marijuana growers is testing the limits of the law. Full of ancient forests and volcanic forms and a valley that’s also the hottest place on earth.
    Enjoy spectacular views along the Pacific Coast Highway or soar over beaches and wine country. Explore Big Sur redwoods and cross the Golden Gate Bridge into the heart and soul of this magnificent state. It’s a region full of character, from movie stars to silicon valley giants to amazing natural wonders. Join us as we visit the Golden State of California.

Attachments:
      Brad
      Participant

Hi Tim! Good stuff here!

Solid clear reads, and I think your set up sounds good, and your lists are varied I can hear the choice making (not in a bad way)

I’m a little new to narration so please take my feedback with a grain of salt.

for 4H you appear to have a sort of either natural or added (i’m not sure) sort of up and down flow to your speech. I might try to limit the operative words picked in a sentence to help limit the up and down flow. Example ‘It BEGAN with the SEED of an IDEA’ Try just just one or two as operative. example “It BEGAN with the seed of an idea” This may help to make your flow a little smoother and allow a quicker tempo if that is what you were after

I would track this same idea for the other two, looking at where you can tone down some operatives with flow. Again just ideas. I think you obviously know your voice and copy best.

Again great work!

JNardecchia
    Participant

Hello Everyone!

I have uploaded a couple of reads (it’s my first time), I’d love to get some feedback! Thanks!!

1. INVISALIGN:
    Your smile says a lot about you. If you let it. When you’re uncomfortable about your teeth, it’s easy to hold back your smile. Invisalign’s advanced technology now lets you straighten your teeth invisibly – so you can express yourself fully. And because they’re invisible, no one has to know about it. Hundreds of thousands of people already have discovered Invisalign. Maybe it’s time you were one of them.

2. American Express:
    Do you know me? Probably not. In my business, recognition is always important, but when I’m buying goods online I prefer a little privacy. With Private Payments from American Express, I get the security of a unique number created for each business transaction I make. Because my private information is my business, and American Express keeps it that way.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by JNardecchia.
    Attachments:
      Lilbelle1487
      Participant

Hey there, Definitely agree with Brad You have a great start going. I would slow down a tad bit. Especially Amex, you seem to get winded in the last sentence and rush it to get it all out in one beat. Overall really great stuff!!

Brad
      Participant

Solid work fellow newbie 🙂
      I can totally hear the command and knowledge of what you are saying and why.

Invisalign – Keep trying to connect to another person, perhaps you are speaking to a co-worker who said hey I see you did invisalign, why did you do that. Well, your smile says alot about you…and try to think about adding variety into your conversation (which is the ad copy) to make is seem more natural rather than ‘read’

AMEX – When given question marks… ask the question, don’t make them rhetorical, or periods. (I struggle with this all the time) Also with this copy try making the person you’re talking to perhaps a person who just had identity theft occur and you are trying to console them, or you are convincing a friend why protecting privacy is important rather than just ‘read’

Again just ideas.

Congratulations on jumping in with solid work!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.