Feedback Forum

• Creator
    Topic
    David Goldberg
    Edge Studio Staff

The Edge Studio Feedback Forum is the best place for you to post a recording and get feedback from the community! Record in your home studio, upload the file, and see what people think. This is a great place to get some advice on your technique, on your home studio, or to ask for people’s opinion on your reads. Remember, that this is a community forum, so please remain positive and encourage your peers in helpful ways. If Edge Studio feels that a user is too negative, or antagonizing other members of the community, they will have their posts deleted, and risk being banned from further communication. 

Stay positive, listen to each other, and have fun!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
    JustJohn
    Participant

Building reads for a demo. What I already know about this read: I recorded it in a live-sounding room; there are a few mouth-clicks; the need for a pop filter is evident. Feedback about any other aspect of this read is welcome. Thanks!
    The Script:
    CAMPSITE SAFETY
    Campsite safety is a critical outdoor survival skill. Setting up a camp safely is something every backpacker must learn, even if you typically stay at established campgrounds most of the time. You never know where the trail will take you, and some of the best camping spots are located away from designated areas with shelters, fire pits, and bathroom facilities. Identifying and preparing a safe campsite is not complicated if you follow the ten tips in this video.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
      SuperLuke
      Participant

I like the “live” feel. Pop filter aside, I think you’re doing very good with this performance.

drammymammy
    Participant

Hello!
    I’m working on Commercial homework and here is a Diapers and Food and Bev spot. I welcome all feedback, but wanted to state that my home studio is a work-in-progress so these are recorded on my phone. Many thanks!

Attachments:
      Riquelmi
      Participant

I really like the tyson read. Your voice sounds silky and believable. I also think the sound is much better on the tyson one? did you change anything about the setting between the two different scripts?

good work
      R

drammymammy
        Participant

Thank you both for your valuable feedback. I think I was going for “intimate” on the Pampers–imagining images of hospitals, infants, new parents, etc., but I hear how much flatter/low energy it sounds vs. the Tyson! Good point about vocal fry too! Thanks again!

JustJohn
      Participant

The Tyson read is more polished than the Pampers read, which sounds comparatively choppy (at “…is put right into a quilted Pampers diaper,” for instance, each word is so individually articulated that the flow gets disrupted). Also, there’s a little bit of whisper-talking/vocal fry in the Pampers read. Those spots might sound better if read with real vocal-fold phonation. I know these are just practice recordings, but if you can record in a less noisy environment, it would give the listener a better chance to hear exactly how you sound. Right now, I’m hearing a number of of mouth-clicks, which I am also struggling to eliminate from my own reads. As I said: the Tyson read sounds more polished, more personalized, and more relatable and natural. I could imagine that read being played in a big-chain grocery store.

stacymc911
    Participant

Hello, This is homework. Please offer suggestions or comments. Thank you, Stacy

Attachments:
    John Trape
    Participant

Hi everyone,

I have been working on these three commercial scripts and would very much welcome any and all feedback.

Regards,

John

American Express
    Do you know me? Probably not. In my business, recognition is always important, but when I’m buying goods online I prefer a little privacy. With Private Payments from American Express, I get the security of a unique number created for each business transaction I make. Because my private information is my business, and American Express keeps it that way.

Nissan Pro Pilot Assist
    We’re about to show you an amazing demonstration…
    Every one of these Nissans has Pro Pilot Assist.
    Game changing tech that helps keep you centered in your lane, and adjusts your speed to help keep your distance.
    It can even help you stop, and start…without ever touching a pedal.
    Your highway commute is about to get easier.

Club Med
    Imagine for a moment … nothing. No clocks. No ringing phone. No traffic jams. No radios. No newspapers. And no crowds. Now imagine a Club Med vacation. An island village where aqua seas brush dazzling white shores. Where lush green palms line wandering paths. A place where evenings are filled with entertainment and dancing. A Club Med vacation is like none other. Ask your travel agent.

Attachments:
      carynbell
      Participant

You have a very nice sophisticated quality to your voice so I think it works well with luxury product ads. I think your voice may be too “expensive” sounding for a Nissan ad, perhaps a luxury car brand like Mercedes Benz perhaps. Also because of the quality of your voice I don’t think you have to overdo it on line like “Where lush green palms line wandering paths.”

Great work!

John Trape
        Participant

Hi Caryn,

Thank you very much for your encouraging feedback. I know exactly what you mean about overdoing lines. That particular line now seems really out of place.

Best,

John

[email protected]
    Participant

FINAL attempt before I open the sodding wine. 😉

Attachments:
      drammymammy
      Participant

It sounds very crisp, and I love your accent; it immediately grabbed my attention! In the first sentence, your inflection is higher on the first clause, which makes it sound the most important. Maybe you could try that on the second portion (“so neither have we”) instead to highlight The American Cancer Society. I really like the informative quality of the second sentence–very PSA! Hope you enjoyed your wine. 🙂

[email protected]
    Participant

Arrrgh file compression issues. :-~ Practicing PSAs for my commercial demo. How did I do?

Attachments:
    [email protected]
    Participant

Practicing PSAs for my commercial demo. How did I do?

cbehrens
    Participant

Any performance-related feedback is welcome! Thanks!

Attachments:
      [email protected]
      Participant

I liked the tone and it grabbed my attention. The room seemed to be quite bright with an echo that detracted from your performance. The pause between ‘loudest monkey’ and ‘the howler monkey’ seemed a bit too long. It made the two sections feel separated by a period rather than by a comma.

Don Sack
    Participant

American Express; late night homework zzzzzzzz; hit me!

Attachments:
      drammymammy
      Participant

Wow, you have a great voice and sound! I noticed upward inflection at the end of the phrases “Unique number” and “transaction I make” that I normally associate with asking a question.

ceciliashaw
    Participant

homework for my upcoming session. looking forward to your feedback:)

Attachments:
      Official81
      Participant

Cecelia I’m loving your voice and the fact that your audio sounds really good you can really focus on the performance. I did hear alot of sss sounds on the first one but it didn’t sound bad at all you can always use tools on your DAW to remove those. And your second recording was great a few glottal stops but you sound great.

Don Sack
      Participant

Hey C, what do I know….but…the first spot seems to have a lot of “sssss” with the words starting with s; #2 is just great in my book! My coach has me concentrating on slowing down the reads to help train my mouth to “do what my brain wants.” I swear I’ve already heard your voice on TV!!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.