Feedback Forum

• Creator
    Topic
    David Goldberg
    Edge Studio Staff

The Edge Studio Feedback Forum is the best place for you to post a recording and get feedback from the community! Record in your home studio, upload the file, and see what people think. This is a great place to get some advice on your technique, on your home studio, or to ask for people’s opinion on your reads. Remember, that this is a community forum, so please remain positive and encourage your peers in helpful ways. If Edge Studio feels that a user is too negative, or antagonizing other members of the community, they will have their posts deleted, and risk being banned from further communication. 

Stay positive, listen to each other, and have fun!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
    Alaya_R
    Participant

Hello! This is my first time posting in the feedback forum for constructive criticism. Please be gentle. Here are the scripts I used:

The Annie E. Casey Foundation
    Every child deserves to grow up with opportunities to learn and thrive. With his skills, her talents, each is a potential leader, a contributor, a productive citizen. How kids grow up will determine their success as adults. But sadly, more than one in five children in America are growing up in poor families and poor neighborhoods, where the chance to thrive is anything but a given. The Annie E. Casey Foundation is dedicated to changing that.

Gordon College
    Welcome to Gordon College!

This tour begins just outside the tunnel that goes under College Drive near the flagpole.
    We will tour East campus first, followed by West Campus, and end the tour back here at the tunnel.

Periodically, I will ask you to pause the recording so that you can walk to the next point or take a few minutes to independently tour the area.

I will always use the word “pause” when you need to pause the recording.
    And I will always use the word “stop” when you need to stop walking while I continue speaking.

This tour is intended to be listened to while walking around campus and does not include tours of any of the buildings. If you are taking this tour on a day when the buildings are open, please feel free to pause the recording and enter the buildings along the way.

As you resume listening to the tour, remember to return to the location where you were last when you pushed pause on the recording.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by Alaya_R. Reason: For feedback purposes
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
      nettipo1
      Participant

Congratulations on posting to the forum for the first time–great job! Your voice is suitable for these two reads, where the audience is young minds, college students, educational… My main suggestion is to be mindful of your pacing, as some phrases like “determine their success” and “is anything but” go really fast and could be clearer. For the Gorden College read, I think your voice has a genuine quality to it, so I would see if you can make it even more conversational. Again, great job and I hope to hear more of your posts!

suecat
    Participant

Hey,
    All critiques are good critiques! Appreciate your help!

Trendi.com
    Trendi.com. It’s the #1 shopping site for top name brands at up to 75% off. Great style, great value and everything ships free. Trendi.com. Everything you love, for less.

Revlon High Dimension Hair Color
    Funny thing being a red head…when I was a kid, I just wanted to be like everybody else, now it’s one of the things that makes me me. Get your best color. Revlon High Dimension Hair Color, so precise it takes only 10 minutes to deliver rich, dimensional color where it’s needed most. Every time. With deep conditioners that gently protect so your hair stays soft and shiny, and beautiful. I like being me.. 10 minutes to beautiful. Revlon. Be unforgettable.

Attachments:
      nettipo1
      Participant

Hello!
      Your voice seems to have a naturally effortless, easygoing, almost serene way about it, which are all great qualities – it makes it easy to listen to. But since music might be added to your VO, consider increasing your energy on both reads, and add a hint of punch or excitement behind some of the key words or phrases. For instance, on the Trendi read, I’m wondering if you might sound differently if you read “75% off” and that “everything ships free” as if you just found out about it, or if you were telling your friend about it. For the Revlon read, the energy needs to be brought up to the same vibrancy as the red hair color makes you look and feel. And again, image you are telling a friend about your hair, and even imagine running your hand through that soft hair. I think you’ll have it in you to let the excitement come out!

suecat
        Participant

Thank you so much! I will definitely work on that!

[email protected]
    Participant

Having a crack at a commercial geared towards kids. Nail or fail?

Attachments:
      nettipo1
      Participant

I agree, it is a Nail for me too! I just had a minor observation, that each sentence seemed to end in inflection in the same way, which if the copy was longer, might become a pattern to the listener. But you really have the perky energy that this kid commercial needs, and you hit the right words. Yes, definitely Nailed it!

suecat
      Participant

Loved the excitement! It’s a Nail for me!

Mdmcghee34
    Participant

Hello All! I have another narration script working on for class. Any feedback will be appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments:
      nadiaverde
      Participant

You have a lovely voice! Very easy to listen to. Good recording quality. I would say to try and vary the delivery of the words a bit to keep the listener engaged, but overall very nice and good pacing. Nice job!

Mdmcghee34
        Participant

Thank you very much for the feedback!

Jsu
      Participant

I really enjoy your pacing and the warm quality of your voice — brings together the idea of the script you’re narrating!

[email protected]
        Participant

Great read. I’d be tempted to edit out the intakes of breath.

Scott Bross
    Participant

Hello,

Trying some E-Learning scripts. Let me know what you think.

Attachments:
      suecat
      Participant

Nice voice! A tad too fast to focus on the content.

Scott Bross
        Participant

Thanks. Appreciate the feedback. I will definitely work on slowing things down.

Jsu
      Participant

I think your voice is great! Definitely caught my attention. I think it would be good to slow your pacing down a bit and focus a little more on enunciation (for example hierarchy — which also might have had to do with the speed).

Scott Bross
        Participant

Thanks for the feedback. I thought it might be a little too fast, but I wanted to make sure I wasn’t just second guessing myself. Really appreciate it.

ceciliashaw
    Participant

Hi everyone,
    My coach assigned me to upload an audition-style track with a slate at the beginning, followed by the same script performed in two different styles. Let me know what you think!

Attachments:
      nettipo1
      Participant

Hi Cecilia,
      Great job on both versions! I definitely liked the style of the second version over the first, because it sounded more conversational throughout. Your voice has an innate brightness to it!
      Janet

Mdmcghee34
      Participant

Hello Cecilia!
      Great track and great voice! I can distinguish the different styles. I like how the beginning of one style is upbeat, while the other starts more conversational. Both make me excited for ice tea.

Mdmcghee34
    Participant

Hello All! Working on narration script. I would appreciate any feedback you can give.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by Mdmcghee34.
    Attachments:
      ceciliashaw
      Participant

You have such a soothing voice. Great audio quality too! I guess if I had to nitpick I’d say to draw out the word “lows” a little less so that the thought becomes more cohesive.

Mdmcghee34
        Participant

Thank you for the feedback Ceclia!

MarkosKandilis
    Participant

Howdy! I’m currently developing my commercial chops with the aim of recording my demo in June. Feel free to have a listen to these samples and let me know what you think. Thanks!

Commercial 1: Trendi
    Trendi.com. It’s the #1 shopping site for top name brands at up to 75% off. Great style,
    great value and everything ships free. Trendi.com. Everything you love, for less.

Commercial 2: Vigoro Ultra
    Vigoro Ultra greens your lawn in 72 hours and lasts up to three months. It’s the same
    technology used to keep Arnold Palmer’s Bay Hill club in championship shape. You’ll find
    Vigoro Ultra at The Home Depot.

Attachments:
      ceciliashaw
      Participant

Hi Markos,

You’ve got great rhythm and pitch in both of these samples. In the first one I did notice a little microphone bump sound at the end so I would just be mindful of that. For the second one, I might take a half second longer between “championship shape” and “you’ll find” so that it has space to breathe and become two distinct thoughts. Sounds great otherwise. Good luck with your demo:)

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by ceciliashaw.
      Mdmcghee34
      Participant

Howdy Markos! Commercial #1 sounds amazing. Very energetic, great transition between sentences, and hitting those buzz words. Commercial #2 sounds great as well. I thought you may have loss a little breath during the second sentence.

nettipo1
    Participant

I can already tell that my voice in this recording is higher because I’m nervous. I am open to any other feedback or suggestions you can provide. Thank you!

Butterball
    Butterball brings you the joys of turkey day. Friends and family drop in to bask in the warmth of the season. Celebrate this summer with Butterball turkey on the grill. Tender, juicy, surprisingly simple. HAPPY THANKSGRILLING from Butterball.

Attachments:
      MarkosKandilis
      Participant

I love the quality of your voice, it brings such light to your read! One thing I’d recommend is to consider helping the copy along with a little faster pacing. Aim for the excitement before a Thanksgiving meal rather than the sedation after it. Great job!

nettipo1
        Participant

Thank you, I will definitely try your recommendation!

AyalC93
    Participant

Hi all! Uploading the last of my Narration Homework before I start working towards my next run of classes. Thanks!

Texicon Family
    “Hey there new employee, or should we say, new family member. As a member of the Texicon family, we want to formally introduce you to your new home, but too formal because that’s just not our style. Now you’ve already got your new uniforms and met with our incredible CEO, or head of the family as we like to call him. Now it’s time for me to bring you up to speed on what your days are going to be filled in with. Make sure you grab some of the complimentary cake you have in front of you, we love cake here so you’re going to have to get used to that, and see what the rest of your time at the Texicon household has in store for you!”

The Unveiling of the Ferrari F-12 Berlinetta

It is the fruit of a huge amount of work and passion
    and incorporates our most innovative technologies
    working with the best technological partners in the world.

This is an extraordinarily high performance car.

It’s 740 horsepower, in fact
    make it the most powerful road car Ferrari has ever built.

Aside from performance, our other focus was weight reduction.
    Using aluminum to produce a car
    that’s not only more rigid and therefore safer
    but also more compact and very, very light.

Efficiency was another area in which we concentrated
    And the result is a car that has made huge strides
    in terms of fuel consumption and emissions.

Kids Activity TV
    Every day is an adventure with Activity TV. It’s the place to be for hundreds of Awesome activities in dozens of categories! Cartooning to magic to cooking and more – ready for you day or night. This month learn some gross out magic. Watch closely as Ryan teaches you to perform the severed finger trick!

Attachments:
      nettipo1
      Participant

Hello!
      Your voice sounds nice and clear in all three reads, with a nice and pleasant tone. Of the three reads, the first sounded the most conversational. I think the third read could have been more conversational, and if the audience for the third read is kids, then perhaps that should influence your read even more, with more excitement behind “Awesome,” “gross out magic” and “severed finger trick.” On the second read, try visualizing with each line what the visuals will be, and see if that affects the pacing or spacing of your sentences as the visuals are shown with it. Great job on all three. I like the clarity of your voice.

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.