Feedback Forum

• Creator
    Topic
    David Goldberg
    Edge Studio Staff

The Edge Studio Feedback Forum is the best place for you to post a recording and get feedback from the community! Record in your home studio, upload the file, and see what people think. This is a great place to get some advice on your technique, on your home studio, or to ask for people’s opinion on your reads. Remember, that this is a community forum, so please remain positive and encourage your peers in helpful ways. If Edge Studio feels that a user is too negative, or antagonizing other members of the community, they will have their posts deleted, and risk being banned from further communication. 

Stay positive, listen to each other, and have fun!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
    rmel2233
    Participant

Hi Artists! Please provide feedback on my first uploads to the site. Thank you and I appreciate your honesty in advance……… I think! 🙂

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
      nettipo1
      Participant

You voice is so nice and calming, and has such gravitas at the same time! The recording quality seems perfectly clear to me. I can’t think of anything to suggest except maybe experiment with phrasing and pacing so that when you deliver the second and third sentences, they connect to or support the main thought of the first sentence (in the case of the Egypt read). I think your voice will pair really well with the images of a documentary.

rmel2233
        Participant

Thanks for the very good feedback Nettipo1.

rmel2233
    Participant

Hi Artists! Please provide feedback on my first uploads to the site. Thank you and I appreciate your honesty in advance……… I think! 🙂

Don Sack
    Participant

Greetings!
    Maui Jim script, part of tonight’s homework!

Attachments:
      MarkosKandilis
      Participant

Great tone, Don! One thing I’d consider is to bring more specificity to your read. Who are you speaking to and why are you telling them this? A quick lead-in at the start is a great trick I personally turn to to help get me into the scene as well. Keep up the good work!

L.Renee
    Participant

(SPIRIT ANIMAL)
    What if you had a spirit animal–an ally for life who brought you powers;
    made you stronger ,faster, and braver.
    Then what if a dark force appeared? And took everything away.
    A new adventure from the world of Spirit Animals: Fall of the Beasts
    Read the Books, Play the Game

(DURACELL)
    If you thought batteries were overlooked, tell that to the guy
    jammed into a box, with the sole job of preventing your house
    from burning.
    Yep, good old 9 volt, that’s the guy you trust to tell you the
    structure you’re standing in, is currently on fire.
    Duracell. That’s a power you can trust.

(IN THIS HOUSE)
    In this house
    There is no mess
    No gossiping, nothing negative, and definitely no stress
    Never mind what happened in the past
    Putting focus there only makes it last
    In this house we ONLY dream
    It’s why we make the perfect team
    Only speak of all the good to come
    Move to the beat of Our own drums
    In this house its just like me
    We practice the dreams we desire to be
    Now in this house the things you see
    Are all the dreams that were in ME.

Attachments:
      Mdmcghee34
      Participant

Hello L.Renee!
      Spirit animal is a great script for your voice and it engages the reader. I would suggest maybe slowing it down just a little. Duracell is a great read also with great tone that matches the message, good interpretation.

L.Renee
        Participant

Thank you… much apprecitaed

Bil-Bo
    Participant

Exercise in Versatility

Coyote In New York
    This is a true story. See, that’s a photograph of me, coyote, in the newspaper, after I had been shot down in Central Park. Hey, don’t worry, I wasn’t dead though. Just in for a long, soft sleep at the Bronx Zoo! Never had I seen so many animals in one place! And just exactly how did I get into this mess? Well . . . I had a dream – to go where no coyote had gone before…New York City!

Jack Daniel’s
    In Lynchburg, Tennessee, you can park in the middle of the road to talk with a neighbor about taxes or the weather. You can pick enough wild blackberries to fill a tin bucket. And you can see a distillery where Jack Daniel made whiskey way back in 1866. We still make it in a slow, deliberate fashion, much as he did. One sip, and you’ll be glad to know we don’t ever plan to stop. Jack Daniel’s … smooth sippin’ Tennessee whiskey.

Coldwell Banker
    This is what your house feels like on the new Coldwell Bankers Real Estate website. It attracts a lot of attention, so your home can be seen by thousands of buyers every day until it’s sold. On line. On the phone. Or in person. Coldwell Banker. Making real estate easy.

Attachments:
      DaniQ
      Participant

Hey Bill, Great work! You sound warm and dynamic. I listened to the Jack Daniels. I would love another pass with all your same choices that is a bit more internal. Really focus on your imaginary world. Maybe also adjust the pitch range so the pitches are a bit closer together. That will give it a current feel.

nettipo1
    Participant

Hello fellow VO artists:
    I’m just experimenting with audiobook =character voices and still fiddling around with my audio settings. Any feedback is welcome.
    Thank you!

CORALINE DISCOVERED THE DOOR a little
    while after they moved into the house.
    It was a very old house—it had an attic under
    the roof and a cellar under the ground and an
    overgrown garden with huge old trees in it.
    Coraline’s family didn’t own all of the house—it
    was too big for that. Instead they owned part of it.
    There were other people who lived in the old
    house.
    Miss Spink and Miss Forcible lived in the flat
    below Coraline’s, on the ground floor. They were
    both old and round, and they lived in their flat with
    a number of ageing Highland terriers who had
    names like Hamish and Andrew and J**k. Once
    upon a time Miss Spink and Miss Forcible had
    been actresses, as Miss Spink told Coraline the
    first time she met her.
    “You see, Caroline,” Miss Spink said, getting
    Coraline’s name wrong, “both myself and Miss
    Forcible were famous actresses, in our time. We
    trod the boards, luvvy. Oh, don’t let Hamish eat
    the fruitcake, or he’ll be up all night with his
    tummy.”
    “It’s Coraline. Not Caroline. Coraline,” said
    Coraline.

Attachments:
      SuperLuke
      Participant

I think you’re doing good

Wes@1972
    Participant

Interchange

INTERCHANGE, THE VALLEY’S LOGISTICS LEADER, IS GROWING,
    AND WE HAVE IMMEDIATE OPENINGS FOR ENTRY LEVEL FORK LIFT DRIVERS.
    YOU’LL OPERATE STATE OF THE ART EQUIPMENT WITH ALL TRAINING PROVIDED AND NO EXPERIENCE NECESSARY.
    FULL BENEFITS INCLUDE ACCESS TO OUR NEW HEALTHCARE CLINIC, EXCLUSIVELY FOR TEAM MEMBERS AND FAMILY.
    EXPAND YOUR KNOWLEDGE…ADVANCE YOUR OPPORTUNITIES…GROW YOUR CAREER…WITH INTERCHANGE!
    SCAN THE QR CODE NOW OR LOG ON TO INTERCHANGE C O dot COM.
    THAT’S INTERCHANGE C O dot COM!

Rand Paul
    As the bluegrass reaches up to the morning sun, our Kentucky values sustain us. As the winds of change blow, we need a strong voice, fighting for OUR way of life. Rand Paul lives our values.

Attachments:
      mvacc
      Participant

Interchange – Great tone, clarity and pacing. I think adding more of a smile, specifically when talking about Interchange (GROW YOUR CAREER…WITH INTERCHANGE!) may give it a little more emotion and make it more inviting.

Rand Paul – Great job! Sounds like an authentic political ad. My only suggestion would be to try to emphasize “values” more in the first sentence because it seems to be important since it repeats in the third sentence.

TimDKietzman
    Participant

Hi everyone, coaching for my Narration demo continues and I have three more recordings that I would appreciate feedback on. How was my performance? Did I do well pronouncing words? Was I talking at a good tempo and differentiate lists and sentences well? How about my tone? Was I suitable throughout each script and match the mood of the words/sentences? Lastly, is my recording setup working well? Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks.

Neuroendocrine Tumors
    Although pathologic concepts regarding squamous cell carcinoma and adenocarcinoma have remained relatively stable during the past 10 years, those regarding the class of neuroendocrine tumors have continued to undergo revision and refinement. Neuroendocrine tumors are defined as those that produce biogenic amines. Pathologically, this can be demonstrated by a positive argyrophil or argentaffin stain, the presence of neurosecretory granules by electron microscopy.

LAB 203 Anniversary Script
    There are thousands of personal stories that LapCop has been a part of from DNA testing which helps exonerate the innocent to developing drugs that can turn a disease from fatal to treatable. LapCorp has a continuing dedication to excellence felt from that first day in 1969 and still now 50 years on.

Pablo Picasso
    A woman is a woman, according to history. But to Pablo Picasso, a woman was something else again. A combination of lines, forms, and colors. Picasso changed the combination to suit his moods, and his result was seldom Eve-like. The woman may have elephant ears, crossed eyes, two noses. In the name of art, Picasso transformed natural appearances for well over half a century. People who don’t like unconventional art say he spoofed the public, and the public itself often scoffed at his works. When his chief masterpiece, Guernica, was first shown, many thought it looked like a jigsaw puzzle. But a multitude of artists now following in his footsteps believe Picasso was liberating art from age-old academic tradition.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by TimDKietzman.
    Attachments:
      nettipo1
      Participant

Your diction in all three reads is very clear, and you did a great job pronouncing all of those difficult words in the first read! I felt like the emotion and the tempo of the reads were somewhat similar and perhaps could have used a little more differentiation. I also noticed that in the first sentence of the second recording, the words “There,” “thousands,” “personal,” and “LabCorp” were emphasized. Perhaps see how it might sound by emphasizing only the key words. I did appreciate the clarity and pleasant tone of your voice in all three reads.

Isaac M.
      Participant

For the recording on tumors, I don’t really have much to say. I can totally imagine that on a recording about that topic. I think the quality of the recording could possibly be improved a little bit; there’s a subtle squeakiness that arises at times. The performance in the second one could be toned down a bit, made a little more conversational. I would say the same thing about the recording on Picasso; I’d tone it down much more in that one, make it sound more natural and conversational. I think the recording has a few minute clips here in there but otherwise sounds very professional.

ctwvoguy
    Participant

Greetings VO friends! Was hoping for some honest feedback on my new commercial demo. All self produced so hoping it’s up to s***f or at least on the right track. Thanks all!

Attachments:
      SuperLuke
      Participant

Wow, this is great for a self-produced demo. The delivery of the commercials was excellent. Are you a pro?

Isaac M.
      Participant

You must already be a pro. The sound quality and acting sound perfect. Nice going. i’d love to learn how you were able to record that from home and make it sound so professional.

TimDKietzman
      Participant

You sir have a magnificent demo under your sleave. Did you produce this demo yourself? I think any potential client would be very pleased by your authoritative sounding voice. You even made sure the music wasn’t too loud and articulated every word just right. Your strike zone would likely be gentlemanly and wise so you should emphasize that when marketing.

Andrea
    Participant

Hi everyone,

Here are a couple of homework practice scripts. I’m on a narration track and would greatly appreciate your feedback (e.g., tone, pace, connection to script, neutral English).

Thank you!

AMERICAN AIRLINES (in-flight video)

Welcome aboard American Airlines coast-to-coast service. We‘ll be happy to do everything possible to make your flight with us a most pleasurable experience. We‘ll provide you with all the information you need to know about your flight, your destination, and the equipment on which you are currently flying.

THE LAND OF EGYPT (travelogue)

Egypt has always been a land of mystery and magic. A land different from all others, difficult to understand, apart and alien, yet strangely fascinating. It was the most self-contained of all the countries of the ancient world; it lived its own life, practised its own religion, and made up its own government with hardly any outside interference either from or upon other civilizations.

Attachments:
      SuperLuke
      Participant

Good enunciation.The two recordings sound different enough. I got a feeling that you were going for an airplane commercial when I heard it. The second recording sounded more like a discovery channel documentary. You did a good job recording and performing. My only critique is that you sound less enthusiastic in the first recording. In the second I can imagine you were more excited about where you were going/ what you were talking about.

Isaac M.
      Participant

The American Airlines one sounds spot on for the type of recording you hear if you call them. Nailed it. The second one, however, I think could use a little more variation and needs to be a little more natural, not as performed.

TimDKietzman
      Participant

Wow, I do think you pulled off a satisfying pace, and pitch throughout both scripts. None of the pauses mid-sentence were long enough to sound choppy and you kept a consistant tone throughout. However, I think your overall performance sounds like a machine or as if your reading off of paper, not really interested in the subject you’re explaining. Remember, people may be listening to this so they can learn, but it helps to make your explanation interesting for them too, that’s how students learn to like teaching lectures.

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.