Feedback Forum

• Creator
    Topic
    David Goldberg
    Edge Studio Staff

The Edge Studio Feedback Forum is the best place for you to post a recording and get feedback from the community! Record in your home studio, upload the file, and see what people think. This is a great place to get some advice on your technique, on your home studio, or to ask for people’s opinion on your reads. Remember, that this is a community forum, so please remain positive and encourage your peers in helpful ways. If Edge Studio feels that a user is too negative, or antagonizing other members of the community, they will have their posts deleted, and risk being banned from further communication. 

Stay positive, listen to each other, and have fun!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
    ShellyMadison
    Participant

Good evening!

I will take any feedback you all would like to provide, however my main focus is actually on the technical. I’m trying out my equipment and sound proofing so would love some help on that front (and still learning my DAW so I know I have a lot of work to do!)

Thank you in advance

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Keith Paul
      Participant

Hello, I listened to your recording and I could not hear anything wrong technically. I am by no means an expert on this, but based on my little experience, it seems fine to me.

ShellyMadison
        Participant

Thank you for taking the time to listen and provide me feedback. 🙂

edixon310
      Participant

Shelly, very nice. Very crisp and clear with no plosives and a quality sound booth. Your Esses were clear as well. Your DAW sounds good to me, although an actual engineer may hear things differently.
      Be sure to edit out the mouse clicks at the end.

Emily Gauthier
    Participant

Hello everyone! I’m very new to the VO world and would love to have some feedback on my work! My setup isn’t great at the moment (I’m using a blue snowball and do have an echo because of the large room) but I’m looking into investing soon.

Any and all feedback is appreciated! I pulled this script from the script library on Edge. It’s the “Making Candy” script. Thank you!

Attachments:
      Keith Paul
      Participant

Hello, the echo is most prominent. What I did with my studio pace which was very inexpensive, I used moving blankets. I bougut them from U-Haul for $10.00 each and covered my walls. I lowered my ceiling to 7 feet and covered it also with moving blankets. I have a complete padded space, that is totally dead. works fine for me.

edixon310
      Participant

Great job Emily. I like your enthusiasm and pacing. Some acoustical treatments in the room will go a long way for you.

It depends on the read, but try to be just a bit more natural sounding (like talking and not reading)

Nice first steps into the world of VO.

Toque
    Participant

Hi all. Just posting here my submission to the last script reading contest. I’ve read through all of the overall feedback provided for everyone, but am having trouble picking out where I’m going wrong. Looking for some really brutally honest feedback here as to what I can do to make this better. Thanks for your help T.

Attachments:
      Emily Gauthier
      Participant

Hi Toque!

First off, wanted to say you have a very nice voice! It sounds so professional and like it’d fit right at home with the material you worked with.

For me, it sounded a little fast and samey throughout tonal-wise. I wasn’t able to distinctly see the different products in my head before you gave us the next one, so I was a little confused on which features went with what price. I think giving each product a slight variation in tone might help set them apart easier if speed can’t be sacrificed (i’m not sure if you had a strict 15 second rule for the contest). That way it feels like you’re giving each product the attention it deserves, and ergo, you’re giving the consumer a way to separate them in their head and process the information easier.

I’m not sure if that’s the feedback you were looking for, but overall an amazing read!

Toque
        Participant

Thank you so much Emily! I really appreciate the feedback. There was a 15 second limit, but your notes about tonal variation are great, and something I will keep in mind. Also maybe mastering the art of a quick read, without sounding rushed! Thanks so much again!

suzanne dangler
    Participant

Hello! Was doing some video recording for work, and thought I’d record some VO for feedback! So here’s some snippets about my day job (or what would be my day job if Hollywood wasn’t so screwy at the moment…). Thoughts, comments, and such much appreciated! (Just on the words, not the audio quality. Just going off a Yeti in my open apartment.)

Attachments:
      Emily Gauthier
      Participant

Good Morning Suzanne!

Your enunciation is very good! There are times when you lose a T but otherwise, it’s pretty clear what words you’re saying. You also have a pleasant, friendly tone that is nice to listen to.

I would say the first five seconds of “colorist” is a bit fast, but really I think these are some good reads. Awesome job!

edixon310
    Participant

Hi all. It’s been a while. I am still working on my audiobook reads. I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

edixon310
      Participant

Sorry! file size too big.

Attachments:
        ShellyMadison
        Participant

You definitely have a knack for this style. To get nit-picky because it’s fun to have something to work on, I’d challenge you to vary your phrasing and play with combining phrases into a single breathe. It isn’t choppy but I think you have space to smooth out and elongate some sentences. Also your pronunciation of the word “hand” stuck out to me twice. I don’t have the vocabulary to tell you exactly why, maybe the vowel is brighter/more nasal than the the rest of the read? Perhaps worth paying attention to.

Keith Paul
        Participant

Hello Frank, all i can say is “Storyteller extraordinaire.”

Talia Hankin
    Participant

Hello! I am looking for feedback on these two commercial reads and would greatly appreciate any thoughts you may have. Thank you so much!

Attachments:
      latyesemca
      Participant

I like the Nissan read the most! It felt like a friend was speaking to me for sure. The Crayola read however, did feel very fast and like it was “put” together. Did you edit it that way? Overall, the clarity is nice and open.

edixon310
      Participant

Talia, great job. Very fluent and well-paced delivery. Don’t try to be too perfect, especially with the Crayola read, unless you are specifically asked to. Let your humanity shine through a little. Also, be mindful of your plosives. There’s normally an indicator of the front of your mic. Try to set it more obliquely to the direction of your speaking and, of course, use a pop shield.
      Again, great job!

debbyc
    Participant

Hi all, I’ve uploaded another practice script. I have been working on clarity and sounding more conversational rather than reading. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments:
      latyesemca
      Participant

It definitely sounds conversational! You nailed that part. I would like to agree with edixon310 with room treatment. Maybe getting closer to the mic would help? But your clarity was also done very well.

Brmassey
      Participant

Hi Debby,

I think you sounded great. Your voice is strong and commanding. Be sure to watch micro pauses that aren’t needed between phrases and the flow as well as overemphasizing words like “Lifesaving” and “Everyday” and “No.”

edixon310
      Participant

Debbyc, nicely done. You sounded very authoritative in your read, like you knew your material. My suggestion would be to check your rooms acoustics. Make sure you have as much treatment as you can to absorb the sound. It also sounds like you are standing off from your mic.

Krista Andersen
    Participant

Uploading a new practice recording. Appreciate any feedback on how it feels to you all! Thanks for your time!

Attachments:
      debbyc
      Participant

Hi Krista. I love your voice..very clear and your pronunciation of the words and your pace is great. I would work on making it conversational. Who are you talking to about New York and Hudson Yard?

Krista Andersen
        Participant

Hi Debby – I appreciate the feedback. Been on vacation since posting so first chance I’ve had to check back. Thanks again for your time!

ScottCarr
    Participant

Hi to all. Submitting two practice scripts. Any feedback will be appreciated (text included):

Leadership
    Many people quickly assume that being a good leader means you’re a good manager and vice versa. The two concepts are actually quite distinct, and understanding that distinction can help you understand what it means to be good at either or good at both.
    Leadership is setting the tone of an organization; the broad objectives and long term goals will come from the leader, and then managers need to execute on a plan to attain them. Leadership is not necessarily getting caught up in all the details, but rather setting the plan and inspiring people to follow them.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by ScottCarr.
    Attachments:
      debbyc
      Participant

Hi there, this script felt as though you were reading rather than sharing information. I do like your tone and the pace in which you read a script is wonderful.

ScottCarr
        Participant

Thank you much! Appreciate the feedback!

ScottCarr
    Participant

The Singularity
    We are the masters of our planet. And for 200,000 years our intelligence has allowed us to rule unchallenged. But those days are drawing to a close. A new intelligence is rising … Artificial Intelligence. Our greatest scientists are on the verge of creating machines capable of independent thought. With intellects that could one day surpass our own. A singular event that will dramatically change life as we know it. What would a world dominated by super intelligent machines be like for us? Paradise? Or a nightmare?! Will it mean immortality … or extinction? One thing we do know. The process has already begun. The Singularity is near. And there’s no turning back.

Attachments:
      debbyc
      Participant

ScottCarr I loved this read! Your pace was great. It was as if you were sharing this important information directly to me. Great job!

ScottCarr
        Participant

Thank you so much Debby. I do appreciate the feedback!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.