Feedback Forum

• Creator
    Topic
    David Goldberg
    Edge Studio Staff

The Edge Studio Feedback Forum is the best place for you to post a recording and get feedback from the community! Record in your home studio, upload the file, and see what people think. This is a great place to get some advice on your technique, on your home studio, or to ask for people’s opinion on your reads. Remember, that this is a community forum, so please remain positive and encourage your peers in helpful ways. If Edge Studio feels that a user is too negative, or antagonizing other members of the community, they will have their posts deleted, and risk being banned from further communication. 

Stay positive, listen to each other, and have fun!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
    Isaac M.
    Participant

Here are two versions of the same copy. Which one do you think works better? And how would you describe the tone in each version?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
      hharris
      Participant

Hi Isaac,
      The tone of the first read felt more precise and assertive like you’re guiding a paced-out presentation. Whereas the second read has more of a personal quality for me. It feels like you’re guiding a story in my mind – the tone is more serene and there’s a slight touch of awe. Makes me interested in the story to come. Both reads sound solid though…Thanks for sharing!

Isaac M.
        Participant

Thanks for the feedback!

rogue1
      Participant

Hi, Isaac. Great job on two distinct interpretations of the same script! I must say I find your second read the most appealing of the two. While both reads are very crisp and clear, your second one has a more natural, flowing quality which is very inviting to the ear. Your first read, though perhaps more authoritative in tone, has a bit of a halting, staccato quality that doesn’t sound quite as pleasing. Really well done! Keep up the great work!

Isaac M.
        Participant

very helpful feedback thanks

Jayburglar
    Participant

Starting work on my narration demo. Here’s 3 spots I did for homework with my coach. I’d appreciate any feedback!

APOLLO 16:
    The year was 1967, and the astronauts of Apollo 16 were going to the moon. This is Charlie Duke, Lunar Module Pilot on Apollo 16. This amazing little capsule went by the call-sign CASPER, and it was the heart of an immense system of rocket engineering that got the astronauts safely to the moon and back.

CONGAREE NATIONAL PARK:
    IT IS A PLACE OF CONSTANT CHANGE. OF WOOD AND WATER, SUNLIGHT AND SHADE. THIS IS CONGAREE NATIONAL PARK.

NOT FAR FROM SOUTH CAROLINA’S STATE CAPITOL, THIS MAJESTIC WILDERNESS OF TOWERING TREES IS A SANCTUARY. FOR WILDLIFE… FOR CHAMPION TREES… FOR VISITORS FROM AROUND THE WORLD.

DAY BY DAY, SEASON BY SEASON, THIS FLOODPLAIN FOREST CHANGES–SHAPED AND RESHAPED BY WATER. A NEW PLACE TO EXPLORE…EACH TIME YOU RETURN..

YELLOWSTONE:
    In the northern part of the park, large stretches of grass and sagebrush spread across the mountains and valleys. Similar to the prairies, this habitat provides an excellent home to the badger and her new family. They see light, for perhaps the first time. A strange new world for them. And they stay close to their mother at first. But growing bolder, they begin to explore on their own.

Attachments:
      rogue1
      Participant

Hello, Jay. Wow. Beautiful voice, amazing range, and very accomplished reads. (You’re hired! 🙂) My only suggestion is to perhaps soften the emotional tone on your read for Congaree National Park–infuse a bit more of a “sense of wonder” about the majestic beauty and ever-changing topography you’re describing. Seems a more natural fit (no pun intended).

taylorn.quinn
      Participant

Hi,
      I love your voice and how different you can make it sound. I only have two things that stuck out to me that you might want to check out: the first is the Apollo one sounded really loud I am talking my headphones even were pulsating. Maybe check your DAW and other systems and also see where you were in regards to the mic. The other one was a general one and that is to watch your vocal fry. While it worked for the last two, it still sometimes sounded like you were possibly losing your voice at times or running out of air.
      Other than that keep up the great work!

Isaac M.
      Participant

You’ve got an awesome voice and the quality of the recording sounds great. The execution is also captivating.

My main critique would be that, especially in the first two (Apollo/Congaree), there are parts that sound overdone. I’d tone down the performative aspect of it because the pieces start to sound like a commercial. So if this is for a trailer, then great, if it’s more of a documentary-type of thing, I’d make it a bit more neutral without all the (very impressive) fluctuations in tone, pitch, etc.

suecat
      Participant

Hey Jay- Your deep, smooth voice, is a good fit for narration. Your performance was captivating. I’m from SC, listening to you, made me want to visit Congaree Nat’l Park – AGAIN! Keep it up!

rogue1
    Participant

Happy Monday! Continuing my series of “then and now” with an early record paired with a current one. All comments are welcome—-including performance and technical. Many thanks for taking the time to listen!

FRONTLINE PLUS:

Today is gonna be the best day ever. Since my human got me Frontline Plus, we’re running more trails, sniffing more tails, and finding all new places to splash in the mud. Just a little Frontline Plus on my back kills ticks and fleas for a whole 30 days. Because there’s nothing better than getting out and feeling the wind in your fur. Vet-recommended Frontline Plus. Live Off The Leash!

Attachments:
      Isaac M.
      Participant

I like the first take in track one the most. It’s got the best balance of sounding natural with well timed pauses, changes in tone, pitch, and tempo, the words properly hit. The other two takes have great moments, but they also have some out-of-place pauses or abrupt shifts in tone or pitch. The take on the second track sounds like it might be more professional, but maybe after hearing it after the first track, I’m inclined to think that it sounds more controlled and carefully practiced, yet less natural. the way you acted out the “getting out there and…wind in your fur” is lots of fun, though, works because you’re portraying a dog haha

rogue1
        Participant

Thank you for your insightful feedback, Isaac! I find this script a bit challenging on where to land on the performance (not unlike a dog unsure of where to dart next in an open yard—-maybe I’m “method acting” 🙂). Perhaps finding a happy balance between the reads is just what the veterinarian ordered. Appreciate your taking the time to weigh in!

nettipo1
      Participant

Hello! I think I like the “now” version more than the “then” version, mainly because you gave yourself freedom to play with tempo and emphasizing different things in the second read. I can tell you were trying to capture the essence of being a dog or pet talking, so continue playing with it to see if you can bring out the excited emotion with different deliveries and pacing. I did notice that you emphasized “best day ever” and “a whole 30 days” the same in both, so try to be mindful of any patterns and break out of them by doing something different. Overall I did notice a difference between the two reads, so kudos on that!

rogue1
        Participant

Appreciate your insightful feedback, nettipo1! I have to admit that “spastic dog” is not an easy characterization to capture! 🙂 Thank you for recognizing my attempts to modulate my delivery and play with the tempo and pacing of the script. I’m notorious for repeating the same patterns in my reads and will strive to bust out of that bad habit. Thanks again for taking the time to listen!

Official81
    Participant

Hello VO friends I hope all of our father’s enjoyed their day yesterday! Please let me know how my audio sounds and the voice work as well. I added music but really want to know how I did. This was my homework assignment.

Attachments:
      TimDKietzman
      Participant

That was AMAZING. You have a beautiful and approachable voice for an e-learning script such as this. I think you may have been overemphasizing words though and the ending sounded cut off, as if you just abruptly ended the recording.

Isaac M.
      Participant

Phenomenal performance/technique and recording/production quality. Was this for an actual spot? I agree with the other commentator, the one part that doesn’t sound as convincing is the “ask your representative” because of how you draw out the word representative.

rogue1
      Participant

Hello, Official81! You have such a warm, inviting quality to your voice! I agree with nettipo1 in that you might want to dial down the music levels as it competes with your read (great choice of track, BTW). I would also hit your ending statement: ”…or as your representative” a bit more decisively rather than gently trailing off as you do now. Keep up the great work!

Official81
        Participant

Thank you very much for the feedback I am noting this for my next practice reads!

nettipo1
      Participant

Hi Official 81! I liked it. Maybe lower the music level a little bit more so that we can hear and enjoy your nice voice more. I think the only word I would change the delivery on would be “representative,” because it maybe sounded a bit more alluring than the other parts of the read before it. But all in all, it was very pleasant to listen to!

Official81
        Participant

Hello Nettipo1! Thank you very much for the feedback it is greatly appreciated and most certainly noted for smoother reads.

CatgirlMSU
    Participant

Let’s try this again. I hope the files upload properly this time. Please disregard my previous post.

Hey, everyone! Here are three recordings for my narration homework. I recorded these on my iPad so I just need feedback on my reading since the audio isn’t as flawless as studio quality. I’m a bit nervous about submitting my first homework recordings. As a side note, my southern accent shows through some, but I’m working on making it sound more neutral as part of my coaching sessions. Thank you for any feedback!

Documentary on Jazz
    It is America’s music. It is an improvised Art, making itself up as it goes along. It rewards individual expression. But demands selfless collaboration. It is forever changing. But nearly always rooted in the blues. It has a rich tradition and its own rules. But it is brand new every night.

About Horror
    Take a trip back to a time when late night creature features were all the rage and the personalities that presented them were just as popular as the movies. Beginning in the 1950s, the horror fest was a staple of regional television. From ghouls to vampires – to werewolves and crypt keepers – every host had a persona to suit their unique personalities.

A Haunting Tale
    In this world, there is real evil.
    In the darkest shadows and in the most ordinary places.
    These are the true stories of the innocent and the unimaginable.
    Between the world we see and the things we fear.
    There are doors.

Attachments:
      TimDKietzman
      Participant

I think your voice is fantastic for a narration demo and I am pleased with the words you hit. Each recording however sounds almost exactly the same and I think your tone could use a little more variety in each recording. Finally I think the tempo you’re using is too fast for narration. Remember it’s about explaining to the listener and you need to ensure they can hear and understand your instructions.

rogue1
      Participant

Welcome to the Edge Studio Forum, CatgirlMUS! As a Virginia boy, I delight in your hint of southern lilt and find it adds a nice warmth to your read (though I understand also wanting to add a more neutral sound in your repertoire). As your delivery is already wonderfully crisp and clear, I would recommend relaxing a bit and considering a more conversational approach–like you’re discussing Jazz or horror one-on-one with a friend and not reading from a script. This is something I work on all the time, and it really helps to picture who you are addressing so the read is more natural and emotional. Keep up the great work!

CatgirlMSU
        Participant

Thanks! I’m still working on neutralizing my accent a little more, but it helps that my coach says southern accents are good in voice over. I mentioned in my reply to nettipo1 that my degree is in broadcast communication with some career experience behind scenes in tv news and radio. I’m working on unlearning some of that broadcaster voice to sound more conversational. Your suggestions are a big help!

nettipo1
      Participant

Hi CatGirlMSU – Congrats on your first posting! I agree with Official81 on the pauses (I still do this) and making it sound more conversational (I’m still practicing this as well). One way that might help make it less like reading is to think of what images might be shown on a television screen, and remember your narration should support those images. For the Horror and the Haunting Tale, perhaps think of yourself telling a scary story around a campfire. The Southern accent was slightly there, but I can’t imagine that being a deterrent for listeners.

CatgirlMSU
        Participant

Thanks! I’m still working on a more neutral accent, but my coach says southern accents are also good in voiceovers. I like your suggestions about thinking of certain imagery. My degree is in broadcast communication with some career experience behind scenes in tv news and radio, so I’ve been used to broadcaster voice. Now I’m unlearning a little bit of that to sound more conversational in VO. Everyone’s suggestions here on the forum are a big help!

Official81
      Participant

Hello CatGirl! Love the name… I love your voice its very crisp and clear. You may want to apply some sound deafening to your space so that your room doesn’t sound open. And I also hear lots of pauses in your reads typically at punctuation. Try sounding more conversational. Read the script and try reading it like you are talking to a really good friend. That helped me out tremendously when I first started. Great Luck you sound great otherwise.

CatgirlMSU
        Participant

Thanks! I’m a cat person and graduated from Mississippi State University. I’m still getting my recording equipment set up, so these were recorded on my iPad just for homework purposes. My microphone was on back order and finally got here last week, so now I can work on putting all that together. Thanks for the advice on pauses. Some times I overthink pauses a bit so they end up a little short. Thanks for the advice on sounding more conversational. My background is a broadcast communication degree and some career experience behind scenes in tv news and radio, so I’m working on making my broadcasting training sound more conversational in my VO reads.

CatgirlMSU
    Participant

Edited to add that it said the files were empty on upload. I’m working to fix that now.

Hey, everyone! Here are three recordings for my narration homework. I recorded these on my iPad so I just need feedback on my reading since the audio isn’t as flawless as studio quality. I’m a bit nervous about submitting my first homework recordings. As a side note, my southern accent shows through some, but I’m working on making it sound more neutral as part of my coaching sessions. Thank you for any feedback!

Documentary on Jazz
    It is America’s music. It is an improvised Art, making itself up as it goes along. It rewards individual expression. But demands selfless collaboration. It is forever changing. But nearly always rooted in the blues. It has a rich tradition and its own rules. But it is brand new every night.

About Horror
    Take a trip back to a time when late night creature features were all the rage and the personalities that presented them were just as popular as the movies. Beginning in the 1950s, the horror fest was a staple of regional television. From ghouls to vampires – to werewolves and crypt keepers – every host had a persona to suit their unique personalities.

A Haunting Tale
    In this world, there is real evil.
    In the darkest shadows and in the most ordinary places.
    These are the true stories of the innocent and the unimaginable.
    Between the world we see and the things we fear.
    There are doors.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by CatgirlMSU.
    d_tonguet
    Participant

Hey, Looking for some feedback on this commercial read. I know the last half second got cut off. I’m still working on those editing skills.

Burt’s Bee’s
    You ask me to define myself? What should I say? I’m complicated. I am complex. I’m a boss. And beautiful. I’m all these things and a million things more. But one thing I am not? I am not synthetic. So why would I use beauty products that are? Introducing new Burt’s Bees Beauty. A full line of natural cosmetics that make you feel your beautiful best because of how they’re made, not in spite of it. Burt’s Bees.

Attachments:
      rogue1
      Participant

Great work, d_tonguet! You have really lovely quality to your voice and your read is very inviting and genuine (with just a necessary dollop of sass). Feel I might be hearing a bit of a sibilant s on “Bert’s Bees” (something I have to work on myself), but otherwise an accomplished read. Keep up the amazing work!

Official81
      Participant

Hey d_tonguet! You sound awesome girl the only thing I would do is go in and take out the pauses so that it sounds really conversational and maybe do the read just a tad bit faster. Your on fire girl!

nettipo1
    Participant

Hi VO Community, I am working on different emotions with these two reads. Thank you for any feedback you can provide!

Pampers Swaddlers
    From the moment you met, you wanted to surround them in comfort and protection.
    That’s why Pampers Swaddlers is the number one choice of hospitals,
    to wrap your baby in blanket-like softness so all they feel is love.
    Pampers Swaddlers.

Cadillac SRX V8
    As a little girl you wanted a pony.
    How about 320 horses?
    Your ride begins with a sunroof so generous, even second-row passengers can bask in the sun.
    And with a commanding V8, you and six friends are in for one feisty gallop.
    Cadillac SRX V8.

Attachments:
      taylorn.quinn
      Participant

Hi,

If I were a parent I would’ve bought Pampers based off your voice-very soothing and great read. The Cadillac one could be a hair quicker and have a bit more energy-this is a car and I felt like I wanted the pony instead. However I did like the choices you made on the line “How about 320 horses?”.
      Keep up the great work!

rogue1
      Participant

Wow, I was totally envisioning an infant lovingly cradled in its mother’s arms while listening to your pitch-perfect Pampers read. Great way to change it up on your Cadillac performance. You have a wonderful instrument and an equally wonderful range! Keep up the great work!

Official81
      Participant

I want to get some swaddlers and a that Cadillac SRX V8! Wow I really loved the Pampers read its untouchable great sound quality as well. And the Cadillac read was just as wonderful but you may want to take out a few of those pauses for a smoother read. Excellent Job!

CatgirlMSU
      Participant

The Pampers Swaddlers VO sounded good with your softer voice, and your more energetic voice sounded good on the Cadillac VO. Great reads!

rogue1
    Participant

Happy Sunday, everyone! Another “then and now” exercise where I’m posting a read I did some time back as well as a read of the same script I recorded today. All comments are encouraged, appreciate your taking the time to listen.

JIMMY JOHN’S

At Jimmy John’s, we know how much you care about freshness, quality and value. We want your sandwiches to arrive freaky fast so they’re freaky fresh. That’s why we only deliver within five minutes of our stores–and no further. If you’re in the zone or in the store, you can get a freaky fresh sandwich. Jimmy John’s, because sandwich.

Attachments:
      Official81
      Participant

Hi Rogue1 your voice is awesome! I really love how in your second read you fixed the pronunciation of “further” great job. I hear a few glottal stops and pauses that could be edited out and corrected. Other than that you give a nice performance.

rogue1
        Participant

Aw shucks, thank you, Official81! Appreciate your taking the time to listen and will be sure to take a look at those dreaded glottal stops and pauses!

CatgirlMSU
      Participant

I agree with suecat. Both reads sounded good and conversational, but the first read had a more fun quality to it. Great work!

rogue1
        Participant

Thank you, CatgirlMSU! Glad you felt both reads sounded conversational (something I’m always working on) and glad you liked the version with an extra side of sass as well. 🙂

suecat
      Participant

Hey Rogue, I thought both reads were conversational, but the first read was a little sassy, and fun to hear. Both flowed nicely. Great work – keep ’em coming!

rogue1
        Participant

Thank you so much, suecat! Glad you found both reads flow easily. I’m always one for the more fun performances–especially when the script seems to demand it. Appreciate the encouragement!

Bil-Bo
    Participant

Hey Y’all
    Thanks for listening and commenting.
    BillH

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.