Feedback Forum

• Creator
    Topic
    David Goldberg
    Edge Studio Staff

The Edge Studio Feedback Forum is the best place for you to post a recording and get feedback from the community! Record in your home studio, upload the file, and see what people think. This is a great place to get some advice on your technique, on your home studio, or to ask for people’s opinion on your reads. Remember, that this is a community forum, so please remain positive and encourage your peers in helpful ways. If Edge Studio feels that a user is too negative, or antagonizing other members of the community, they will have their posts deleted, and risk being banned from further communication. 

Stay positive, listen to each other, and have fun!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
    twiegers
    Participant

Hello all! Here are some practice scripts for a couple of commercials. I’d appreciate any feedback, thanks!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
      TimDKietzman
      Participant

Your relaxed yet upbeat take on these reads was delightful. I love the words you hit and the tempo was not rushed at all. I will say this though, the tone came off as more an announcer-style and commercials are supposed to be conversational. I also think you missed the spirit of the scripts too. If you apply the spirit of the script, that will help you pull off a more convincing tone.
      To find the spirit, just imagine where you would be when speaking this script to another person and what sort of feelings you’d have in that situation. (e.g. The Pizza commercial, you’re walking into the place feeling hungry or sharing the new pizza joint with friends. That would instill an excited or anticipating tone.)

mkell755
      Participant

Hi Twiegers! Nice! The audio sounds very low on my end, I could hear it but it was just lower volume than typical, easy fix. I use Audacity and usually have to use the Normalize effect up to -3 dB and it helps a ton in increasing the overall volume.

Home Slice – good soothing tone. It seemed a little choppy in a couple of spots – “your independent” sounded like “your, independent” (unneeded pause between those 2 words)
      Paws Up – This was nice too. Make sure to emphasize both words in the tagline “Paws up’. Those 2 words ran together for me and sounded like “pauseup”. I tend to smash words together too, I have found that just slowing down for the key spots really helps.

I agree with Jloz in that your voice would sound really nice in a romance novel, or maybe a Sandals commercial where you are describing a dream vacation on a beach. You have a nice smooth voice, definitely try that!

Mary

JLoz19
      Participant

Hi twiegers!

Right away, I enjoyed the calm, soft tones of your voice; however, I’m not sure if the voice style was the best fit for these commercials. I’m definitely not an expert, but that is just my take.

Also, the audio was a bit distanced sounding and a little more tinny than base. Since I’m pretty new to all of this, I don’t know the exact fix for that. I usually just go through and use a type of compression, normalize, and of course noise reduction and silence all areas where nothing is spoken. I’m currently using Audacity, so I couldn’t tell you the specifics for those areas, if you happen to use a different program.

I would love to hear your take on a romance novel or something similar due to your calm, soft tones in your voice. Very nice!

taylorn.quinn
    Participant

Hi all,

Just doing some readings to see what will and won’t fit for a narration demo.
    Any feedback would be much appreciated!
    Thank you!

TQ

SCRIPT: Carbon is an extremely versatile atom, capable of forming single, double, and even triple bonds.
    This kind of flexibility allows for carbon to form chains, branched chains, and rings when connected to other carbon atoms…
    kind of like a super LEGO kit.

Attachments:
      TimDKietzman
      Participant

Your voice is fantastic and very fitting for these types of commercials. I love your tone, pitch, and volume, but I’m with Andrea in that I think you were talking too fast. I know from experience that any effort to finish the “task” quickly will get you nowhere. Remember that voice acting is an “art” so don’t try so hard to “finish” the script. Also, work on making your voice conversational, you sound more like an announcer.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by TimDKietzman.
      Andrea
      Participant

Hi Taylorn,
      I really liked your voice and tone on this, but I feel that you could slow down just a little bit.

mkell755
      Participant

Hi Taylorn, nice! You have a nice smooth tone and it was fitting for this script. Good variation in the lists too! The last word was cut off, you might try not stopping the recoding immediately after you record to make sure all of the recording is caught. I typically leave a second or two in front of and after the recordings to help with that. Good job!

Mary

JLoz19
      Participant

Hello taylorn.quinn!

Great read! I enjoyed the informative tone you used as well and thought it sounded perfect for the piece you chose. I was a bit distracted since it was the unedited version, but the voice choice for this was spot on!

twiegers
      Participant

Hello! The thing that stuck out to me most was the overall pace. Due to the fast pace, a few words were slurred. I love the informative tone you used!

Alaya_R
    Participant

Hello everyone,

Looking for some constructive criticism on these audio files. Heading into my last few classes before my narration demo is recorded. Thanks!

Children’s Educational Space Game
    Today we’re going to explore all of the planets in our solar system and some other places as well. We’ll travel into the future when astronauts live throughout the solar system. On each world we’ll see what the weather is like, what we would wear, and what we would do to have fun! Grab your oxygen, put on your seatbelt, and let’s blast off!
    Claude Debussey

The notes you are hearing…changed the way we listen to music…not only classical…but contemporary as well. Claude Debussy, he heard things differently. He wasn’t very fond of rules and had no respect for the musical status quo. His influences still linger in the jazz music of today.

TLC-VH1-Behind the Music
    Sickness, arson, and bankruptcy threatened to silence TLC forever. But when faced with the type of adversity that has ripped other groups apart, Tionne, Lisa, and Chili closed ranks. It seems as if the odds have been stacked against the members of TLC their entire lives. Long before they ever shared a stage, each endured poverty, the pain of a broken home, and the resolve to rise above it.

Attachments:
      JLoz19
      Participant

Hi Alaya_R!

Really great take on all these! I like how each one was slightly different in your voice tone. The one that stuck with me the most was Claude Debussy. I wasn’t sure if it was just my headphones/computer, but the last line of that, “His influences still linger in the jazz music of today,” sounded a bit different than the rest. It wasn’t very noticeable but just a bit. Otherwise, nice job with your intonations and voice range for three fairly different scripts!

Bill Mahoney
    Participant

Hello all.. Took a little time off from voice overs, to reassess. Basically, I let pride get the best of me. Well, I’m back. If you can, just give me any thoughts you may have on my sound. I didn’t go in and edit it, so there will be some noise. I built a rudimentary studio, so i can clean most of the noise. Do I sound professional? Or forced? You get the idea. Thank you so much. I hope I can return the favor to you all in the future.

Attachments:
      TimDKietzman
      Participant

You do NOT sound forced Bill. Your tone and tempo are well applied and sound super-professional as if you are speaking and not reading. I can really envision your voice accompanying a corporate video for this company’s website or employee training program. Have you really been out of the game for a while? Aside from your recording setup, it hardly shows. WELL DONE!

Bill Mahoney
        Participant

Thank you Tim for the kind words, they are much appreciated. I was out for awhile — 4 months to be exact.

JLoz19
      Participant

Hi Bill!

I really enjoyed your voice tone and take on that script! Fantastic timing of words being read and overall feeling like you’re not quite reading but informing listeners. The quality of the audio was great too and as you said, would just need a bit of a clean-up. Other than that, I could totally hear that on the radio!

Bill Mahoney
        Participant

Thank you Jloz for the nice words.

mkell755
    Participant

Hello all! Here is a script for my upcoming narration demo prep. I’ve been to this museum (now closed) and it was really great. I’m hoping the enthusiasm portrayed comes off as authentic, let me know what you think. Thanks for listening! Mary

At the Newseum, visitors experienced the story of news, the role of a free press in major events in history, and how the core freedoms of the First Amendment — religion, speech, press, assembly and petition — apply to their lives.

Located halfway between the White House and the U.S. Capitol, the building made a powerful statement, the 45 words of the First Amendment etched into a 75-foot tall tablet of Tennessee marble facing Pennsylvania Avenue. With 15 galleries and 15 theaters, the Newseum opened April 11, 2008, to great fanfare. It had two state-of-the-art television studios and was a sought-after spot for conferences, weddings, movie premieres and other special events.

Attachments:
    Mike
    Participant

I’m struggling big time with trying to get this Kia read right and I’d love notes.

Attachments:
      nettipo1
      Participant

Hello! The pacing of this read needs to be a bit more balanced. There’s quite a dramatic difference between the beginning (extremely fast) to the very slow “gravel pounding ambition of youth” that might throw off the listener. Instead of pacing, consider other ways of showing the contrast between the two concepts you are talking about. For instance, you could try different emotions with lead-ins like: 1st emotion: clever-“bet you didn’t know this about us, but…” to 2nd emotion: enthusiastic “you’re going to enjoy how cool this car is…” or something like that. Your voice has a nice base tone to it, so take advantage of that and make the last sentence smooth and assured, rather than rushed. Keep on posting!

mkell755
      Participant

Hi m822! It sounded like the recording got cut off at the end, I think it was missing a few words. I typically leave a second or two of silence at the beginning and the end just to make sure the entire thing is recorded before exporting as an mp3 file.

Your voice is very deep and it is interesting! “Age” sounded stretched out like it was 2 syllables which made it a little hard to understand the word. You might try “Kia” accented in a positive way as the tagline / focus of the script. Keep it up!

Mary

GJS
    Participant

Just a quickie: Quality Inn
    Quality Inn
    When he checked in, he was Mr. Simmons. When he checked out, he was just plain Bob. Quality Inn. We’ll see you there.

Attachments:
      nettipo1
      Participant

Hello! I think your voice is well suited for this type of script! I could also hear the humor within it, but I think the emotions could be brought out even more to show the transformation of the character checking in (formal, maybe uptight) to checking out (relaxed, refreshed, just a normal person again). I’d also try different versions of the last sentence to see if it can capture a bit of a “wink and a smile” feeling. Nice job!

mkell755
      Participant

Hi GJS! Very nice! I like the tone in your voice and the pace of the script that you delivered. It was very appropriate for the script, and I could hear the humor behind it. The last word “there” got cut off. I usually leave a second or two of silence at the beginning and the end – always easier to chop off excess than to add back words later and have it sound natural (without having to do a retake, at least for me). Good job!

Mary

GJS
    Participant

Hi Folks! Just getting back after a long absence and trying out a Corporate Explainer for my coaching session:
    OneCall Global
    Since the beginning of the Covid-19 pandemic, corporations around the world were forced to shut down their offices and allow wireless to become the new workplace. Business operations are being conducted via smartphones, tablets, laptops and other mobile devices. Now more than ever corporations are in need of finding wireless cost saving solutions. OneCall Global is the best choice for the solutions and services you need to keep wireless costs low, well managed and well-aligned with your actual needs. Nobody delivers better results faster and with less work on your part. Contact OneCall Global and start saving on your corporate wireless expenses.

Attachments:
      mkell755
      Participant

Hi GJS, very nice! Your voice is well-suited for this genre! Great pacing, clarity and variation in tone throughout. I was listening with an interest to understand who has been able to make sense of Covid-19; it was very believable. Very good!

Mary

JAE Factor
    Participant

Hello All,

Please let me know what you think of my recordings. I appreciate your feedback. Thanks!

Attachments:
      taylorn.quinn
      Participant

Hi Joseph! I agree with what nettipo1 said in terms of patterns. Also, the percussionist I am was very excited to hear a drum lesson demo! Just be careful of pronunciation of words-a search engine is your friend on that one! Keep up the great work!

nettipo1
      Participant

Hi Joseph – You have a pleasant tone of voice. My main suggestion would be for you to be mindful of any overall patterns in your speaking, which, if it is evident enough to the listener, it might distract them from listening to what you are saying. For instance, there is kind of a up/down or rising/falling pattern that’s noticeable (to me) in the Nine Planets read. I think as you become more selective of which words to emphasize and find ways to emphasize them differently, then you will be less likely to fall into any pattern. Keep up the good work!

Official81
      Participant

Nice Job Joseph you sound wonderful! Nice editing as well. The volume could have been a bit amplified other than that you are on point!

mkell755
    Participant

Hello all! I’m back after a short break! Please let me know what you think – I’m working on recording my narration demo soon. Any and all feedback is welcome. Thanks! Mary

Janet Jackson
    Born on May 16, 1966, in Gary, Indiana, Janet Jackson is an award-winning recording artist and actress who’s the youngest child of the Jackson family of musicians. She is best known for hit singles like “Nasty,” “Love Will Never Do (Without You),” “That’s the Way Love Goes,” “Together Again” and “All for You.” Jackson is ranked as one of the best-selling artists in contemporary music, having released an array of multi-platinum albums like Control, Rhythm Nation 1814 and Janet, in collaboration with Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis. In 2015 she reunited with the two producers for Unbreakable, which became her seventh No. 1 album.

Attachments:
      Official81
      Participant

Very nice Mary! Nice and clear your audio sounds excellent!

mkell755
        Participant

Thank you! Official81!!! It has taken a bit to get here, appreciate it! 🙂

Mary

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.