Feedback Forum

• Creator
    Topic
    David Goldberg
    Edge Studio Staff

The Edge Studio Feedback Forum is the best place for you to post a recording and get feedback from the community! Record in your home studio, upload the file, and see what people think. This is a great place to get some advice on your technique, on your home studio, or to ask for people’s opinion on your reads. Remember, that this is a community forum, so please remain positive and encourage your peers in helpful ways. If Edge Studio feels that a user is too negative, or antagonizing other members of the community, they will have their posts deleted, and risk being banned from further communication. 

Stay positive, listen to each other, and have fun!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
    greta_j
    Participant

Hello! Working on some commercial reads, particularly levels, pacing, and “telling the story” – don’t need audio advice as these are recorded on my phone 🙂 Thanks as always for your time! /Greta

• This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by greta_j.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
      kristianwithakay
      Participant

I agree pampers read b was better! Also, that ben and jerry’s one was fun! I really liked the character you were getting into. It was fun to listen to! ^_^

greta_j
        Participant

Hi! Thanks Kristian!

taylorn.quinn
      Participant

I like how soothing your voice is. The pampers read B was definitely better. It flowed more, had a better pitch and wasn’t as monotone. Also watch how close you are to your microphone I kept hearing a popping noise. If you don’t have a pop filter it will definitely be worth the investment as I had similar issues when I was starting out as well. Keep up the great work!

greta_j
        Participant

Thanks Taylor! These were just iphone reads 😛 My condenser mic has a pop filter, gotta have it! <3 Thanks again!

Bil-Bo
    Participant

Wrangler Cool Vantage
    No matter what time of year it is,
    hard work comes with a lot of sweat.
    That’s why there’s new Wrangler Cool Vantage jeans.
    They keep you cool by wickin’ sweat five times faster.
    They keep you dry by pullin’ moisture to the outside where it dries faster. They keep you comfortable, so you’re less restricted.
    All day long. New Wrangler Premium Performance Cool Vantage Jeans. The newest innovation in comfort.

Attachments:
      greta_j
      Participant

I like this a lot Bil-Bo! Very fitting and convincing read for this product.

JLivingston
    Participant

Hello everyone – I’ve been with EdgeStudio for a few months now but I’m new to the forums.
    I’m working towards a narration demo at this point.
    Would be greatly appreciative of any feedback on the files below.

Also – what is the etiquette for giving others feedback? Would it be inappropriate for me to give any feedback since I’m so new?

Looking forward to being a part of this community and working with all of you!

Cheers – Jorge

Attachments:
      greta_j
      Participant

Hello Jorge! Great work! Love your tone and range. One thing you could practice is watching for choppiness or unneeded pauses between words or syllables. As to your question, feel free to give feedback on anything, everyone’s advice is valuable 🙂 Best, Greta

twiegers
    Participant

Hi everyone!

I would love to get some feedback from you all. Below are the scripts I’ve created with files attached. I know there are some technical difficulties this time around, but I would love feedback more focused on the acting and connection with the script. Let me know what you all think. I’d really appreciate it!

Lucky Plus Dog – harnesses for dogs

Handmade dog gear made in small batches. Try our new no-pull harness for your pet. It has adjustable size, a durable nylon buckle, and mesh lining for easy breathing.

Strayer University

At Strayer University, we strive for you to get an affordable education that fits your busy schedule. We are designed for the way you live. With our online learning program, you can begin your degree with a new laptop preloaded with Microsoft software. Attend classes from anywhere. Begin your degree today.

Patagonia Austin- outdoor clothing store

This is Austin, TX. Mostly every day. Nothing but sunshine. Every. Single. Day. Patagonia Austin has a great selection of gear for climbing, trail running, mountain biking, travel, and the day to day.

Attachments:
    Don Sack
    Participant

HEY ALL!
    PICKING UP ON SOME MAJOR SLACK!
    PUTTING THESE TWO OUT FOR YOUR CONSIDERATIONS!
    MORE TO COME AS I AM GIVING MYSELF A SWIFT KICK IN THE REAR!
    THANKS.

Attachments:
      nettipo1
      Participant

Hi Don,
      Your voice is so nice to listen to. It has a warm, slightly gravelly, down-to-earth feel. Just a couple things I noticed:
      The “t” and “d” at the end of certain words may not be distinct enough for the listener (such as in “Amstel LighT,” and “functionally you wanT” in the First Bank read).
      You may also want to try different ways of saying the beginning and end of the copy to see if it expresses any other emotions. For instance, in the Amstel Light piece, maybe try a gentle and consoling “Heyy..” or a surly, know-it-all roommate “Hey.” I can tell that you have the ability to bring out the comedy and the flavors of the copy with your voice.
      Good stuff overall. Thank you for posting!

Don Sack
        Participant

Hey Nettipo1 !
        Wow, thanks for the feedback! I listened to the spots and you are so right!! Well, that’s what I get for slacking off for almost two months; details like these! A raspy voice is usually not my deal, but that’s what I get for doing these when tired! LOL
        Rock On!

Cbrown865
    Participant

Hi everyone!

I recently finished my second coaching session and would love to get some feedback from you all. Heard this was the best place for that! Below are the scripts I’ve chosen from the library with mp3 files attached. Let me know what you all think. I’d greatly appreciate it! Thank you!

Mercedes – 2014 E Class

A car that can actually see like a human using stereoscopic cameras and even stop itself if it has to.
    The technology may be hard to imagine but why YOU would want it..is not.
    The 2014 E-class.. it doesn’t just see the future..it IS the future

Citibank

I’m a T-shirt and jeans guy. Never spent a lot on clothes.
    So I meet a girl. She doesn’t mind that I’m a T-shirt and jeans guy.
    We decide to get married. Now I need a tuxedo. I go big time.
    I decide not to rent. I buy. It’s worth it. I look great!..Then I get this call. it’s not my best man. Not my mom. Its Citibank. They just wanted to make sure someone else wasn’t using my card. Imagine a T-shirt and jeans guy finding happiness with a girl, a tuxedo and a bank all at the same time. What a year!

Attachments:
      greta_j
      Participant

Hi Cbrown865! Nice fresh tone and personality in your reads. I agree, just slow it down and adjust pacing so each phrase and word can be heard in your message. Keep it up!

Don Sack
      Participant

Hey Cb!
      Slow it down; enunciate (slowing down will help with that?). Acoustics where you record. Rock On!!

Sylvanie
    Participant

Hello All, I am beginner and would appreciate all feedback for my narration homework. It will be very much appreciated. Thank you!

Aetna/US Healthcare – Script #1

No matter where we live–when it comes to something as important as health care–we all want the best. That’s why AETNA and US HEALTHCARE have joined forces to create a partnership that will set a new standard for quality and caring. AETNA and US HEALTHCARE. Raising a standard for your town, for your family, and for you.

One Vanderbuilt Observation Deck Audio Simulation (Announcement) Script#2

Hello, and welcome to the audio simulation of the One Vanderbilt Observation Deck.
    Please adjust your audio volume to a level that best represents my voice at a normal speaking volume to a person standing next to you.
    This will calibrate your headphone level. Please do not adjust your audio volume again over the course of the simulation.

Attachments:
    Troy C
    Participant

Hi there! I recorded a couple scripts for my narration lessons. Any feedback is much appreciated!

Edison and Tesla Biography
    “Obsessed with his work and known to be an exacting boss, Edison had an ego as incandescent as his light bulbs, a sense of his own greatness that was undoubtedly justified. He was also incredibly competitive, willing to do whatever was required to ensure that his idea won out.
    Born in Serbia, Tesla was a different kind of genius. Whereas Edison was an eternal experimenter and tinkerer, Tesla was a human calculator, and his ability to work out complex math and physics equations in his mind helped him achieve early career success in Europe.”

Inside Halo Infinite
    “Welcome back to the latest edition of Inside Infinite. If you’re a longtime viewer, you know first-hand that this is the place where we sit down with the teams building Halo Infinite, to learn more about them and their processes than we ever have before.
    If you’re just joining us, welcome! We’re glad to have you – but before diving into today, we’d highly recommend checking out previous editions. So far, we’ve had the chance to chat with quite a few teams around 343 Industries, including Graphics, Sandbox, Campaign, Audio, and PC- so be sure to get caught up and hear from them in their own words before we dive into today’s edition of Inside Infinite.”

Attachments:
      nettipo1
      Participant

Hi TroyC,
      You speak with ease, and your reads have a conversational feel to it. I noticed that you read many of the words differently than what was written, added words that were not there, and said some of the key words incorrectly, all of which can throw off the listener…so please be mindful of those things.
      Thanks, and keep on posting!

suecat
      Participant

Hey TroyC! Your voice is so silky smooth–two great performances. EXCEPT the volume was pretty low. Otherwise, great job!

Jayburglar
    Participant

Still working on my narration. These are 3 scripts that I recorded as homework for my coach.

BEAVERS:
    The b****r builds its lodge out of intertangled twigs and sticks; as freezing weather nears, they plaster their lodge with mud, making a concrete layer that no predator can break through. During the early nineteenth century, the b****r pelt was the single most valuable commodity; the pelt being used for robes, coats, clothing trims, and top hats.

DATATECH:
    All of us here at DataPlex welcome you to our website in which we attempt to distill the essence of what we are all about …
    helping our customers improve their use of disparate, complex and ever-changing technologies.In a nutshell, we increase their “tech worth” by evolving,
    integrating or expanding their existing systems and by strategically deploying new, state-of-the-art platforms.

SUPERMAN MUSEUM:
    Welcome to the Metropolis Superman Museum. Throughout the museum you will find numerous examples of Superman merchandise and memorabilia, illustrating the long and grand history of the world’s most beloved superhero.
    To begin your tour, please proceed to the right.
    Superman began as a series of daily comic strips created by writer Jerry Siegel and artist Joe Shuster. The first adaptation of the comic was a radio drama starring Bud Collyer as Superman.

Attachments:
      nettipo1
      Participant

Hi Jay,
      Your voice is very robust, upbeat, and clear! I did notice a slight difference in tone or emotion that you applied to each read, but I still noticed a hint of announcer or sales quality. For instance, when you read the “robes, coats, clothing trims, and top hats,” it felt like a description of an array of products, and “state of the art platforms” also ended with a similar inflection. I’m not a coach so hopefully I’m not conflicting with what your coach says, but it seems like for narration, it’s important to see which words are important to emphasize, and focus less on making it sound appealing, so perhaps consider slightly decreasing the “oomph” of the read and settle down into a more factual, person-standing-next-to-you read. If you were actually near the actual beavers in the first read, consider what volume you would need to have without disturbing the animals! I enjoyed all three reads overall, though! Thanks for posting.

suecat
      Participant

Hey Jay, you have the perfect voice for this genre. On all 3 performances, your voice was crisp and clear. Just perfect! Thank you for sharing.

mkell755
    Participant

Hello all! Here is a do-over recording for any and all feedback. I was trying to keep it flowing and not to pause unnecessarily. Let me know if you think I succeeded and or you hear other things to work on. Thank you!

Mary

Gertrude Käsebier was an American photographer who was known for her images of motherhood and her portraits of Native Americans; her portraits of the Sioux focused more on the expression and individuality of the person than their costumes and customs. She helped establish the Women’s Professional Photographers Association of America and promoted photography as a career for women.

Attachments:
      Mary Werntz
      Participant

Hi Mary! This piece flowed nicely without a lot of those pauses that you’re trying to avoid. The only pause I caught was at the very beginning after “Gertrude Kasebier”. It’s very slight, though, so great job overall.

mkell755
        Participant

Thanks for the feedback Mary! Yes I hear the pause after her name now, not sure why I did that. Thanks for listening!

Mary

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.