Feedback Forum

• Creator
    Topic
    David Goldberg
    Edge Studio Staff

The Edge Studio Feedback Forum is the best place for you to post a recording and get feedback from the community! Record in your home studio, upload the file, and see what people think. This is a great place to get some advice on your technique, on your home studio, or to ask for people’s opinion on your reads. Remember, that this is a community forum, so please remain positive and encourage your peers in helpful ways. If Edge Studio feels that a user is too negative, or antagonizing other members of the community, they will have their posts deleted, and risk being banned from further communication. 

Stay positive, listen to each other, and have fun!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
    L.Renee
    Participant

Hello Fellow Edgers 🙂
    In preparation for my upcoming commercial demo, I need to get in as much practice as possible, with AS MUCH FEEDBACK:-) (See corresponding scripts below)
    I HUMBLY THANK YOU ALL for your support 🙂

Va-Va-Va-Voom
    Has your hair lost it’s luster? Missing it’s bounce? Need some Va-va-va-voom? Let me tell you about this new shampoo I’ve been using. It’s not like your ordinary, run of the mill, “I share this with my husband” shampoo – no, this one goes beyond the call of duty to tame frizzies, banish split ends and most importantly, it gives you the confidence you need ( and a little bit of va-va-va-voooom! ). Why use your old shampoo when you can experience the power and endurance of Va-Va-Va-Voom shampoo? Call or click for your free sample today.

MOTIVATION MEDITATION

I know that you’re scared, and it’s a good thing to be scared.
    Because with that fear, you realise that there is a strange adrenaline rush that takes over you,
    akin to most of the top athletes and singers right before they play and start their performance.
    As you feel scared, you can begin to you know…use this emotion for the better.
    Use the rush, use the adrenaline, use all of this nervous energy.
    You get scared because your mind pictures things not going in your favour, however the mind is creative.
    One of the scenarios it can create, can come from the space of courage.
    It’s all a picture in your head at the end of the day.
    So why don’t you take this opportunity to think of the outcome that you want, the one in which you’ll feel happy, satisfied and excited about this journey that you’re about to take.
    Yes, use all the nervous energy to imagine a level of euphoria unfathomable so far in your life. It’s bright and vivid.
    You put aside the negative images you were seeing with these new, beautiful and breathtaking ones.
    Yes, you can……NOW….BEGIN TO BELIEVE IN YOURSELF. (like a hypnotic order)

I am anxiety
    I’ve been expecting you. Why? Don’t tell me you don’t recognize me? Oh! You still don’t know who I am. Let me try and help you with that. I am the ill ease that you feel when you walk into a crowded room. You know. The hot and cold flushes that confuse you when you are already confused enough. I am the one that raises the whip to your already raising heart. I am the tightening of your chest. The s*********g worries that feel like they might become an avalanche and they can just bury you in an instant. My friend I am the obsessive and the compulsive. I’m the voice. You know the one. Always questioning, questioning, questioning, everything you do, everything you think. And I am every, single staring eye that watches you. So, now that we have become acquainted, what are you going to do about it?
    Tag: 1 in 4 people experience anxiety. And most don’t know about it. You need to know anxiety to be free from it.
    Visit beyondblue.org.au or call 1300 22 4636.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
      nettipo1
      Participant

Hi L.Renee,
      Nice reads overall.
      For the Va-va-va-voom read, I think you’ll be able to add more energy to it, and really talk to whoever you chose as the listener (your friend, or your salon client) with a bit more sassiness!
      For the meditation read, be mindful of the pausing in the middle of sentences, or pausing too long at commas. Even though it’s supposed to be a calming read, the pausing prevents it from flowing as well as it could.
      For the anxiety read, be aware of the glottal stops at the start of the sentences (“Oh” and “I am…” and “EVerything…” and “ALways…” ). The announcer tag at the end was free of glottal stops. You can still have that imposing personality in the first part of the read, but without hitting those vowels too much.

mkell755
      Participant

Hi LRenee, great job! Good variation between the 3 scripts.
      Script 1 – I think this script needs a little more variation in pitch, like more over the top and with more enthusiasm and energy. Your voice is deep and serious and sounded a little flat for this one.
      Script 2 – Really good work! Your voice sounds very well suited for this genre. Good pacing and emphasis on key words throughout
      Script 3 – Also really good! It sounded very authentic and believable. Keep it up!

Mary

ASHBYMAN
    Participant

Please take a listen to 3 scripts that I have practiced on as part of my coaching in preparation for my session later this week. They are each in vain of an explainer in some sort, two are travel based and one is biographical. All feedback is welcome feedback

Attachments:
      nettipo1
      Participant

Hello! You have nice vocal tone and clarity that is easy to listen to. I felt like all three reads had a similar feel, kind of like reciting an inspirational poem to a large audience, rather than talking to one person. You might want to strengthen your choice of who you’re talking to in each read, maybe even change who YOU are in each piece, to see if that changes your delivery. Keep on posting!

mkell755
      Participant

Hi Ashbyman, great work! I liked all 3 of these scripts for you.
      Script 1 – really took me away and gave me great visuals – great pacing and I liked your list of lists towards the end, really served to build the excitement about Martinique.
      Script 2 – sounded good also!
      Script 3 – This was my favorite for you – good enunciation and clarity. Good job!

Mary

L.Renee
      Participant

You’ve got a NICE Voice..keep up the great work

CHRISTOPHER WHITING
    Participant

Hi all I just finished my assignment from my first coaching session. The script is as follows:

Welcome to advance technology incorporated and to the excitement and challenges of a growing business. As a new employee your job is important to us. Your success is an important factor in the success of this company. This software is designed to offer you accurate information about company policies and procedures, benefit packages, performance reviews, training and education opportunities.

Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated. For reference I was specifically working on getting the list of items at the end of the script to sound natural but differentiated. Many thanks!

Attachments:
      mkell755
      Participant

Hi Christophe, great job! Your voice is direct and authoritative, really good for this script and corporate onboarding. Great clarity and pacing. The lists at the end sounded very natural and differentiated, so you achieved that in my opinion! Very good!

Mary

CHRISTOPHER WHITING
        Participant

Thank you for the feedback, Mary! It’s greatly appreciated.

mkell755
          Participant

Sure, you are welcome!

Mary

L.Renee
      Participant

You did very well 🙂

CHRISTOPHER WHITING
        Participant

Thank you, Renee! I appreciate the feedback and your taking the time to listen.

Mary Werntz
    Participant

Hello! I’m looking to get some feedback – specifically on tone in these two commercial pieces.Thank you!

It’s the end of the day. And you missed it. Where did those hours go? Get in the driver’s seat and capture your life with the iPhone 4s – the fastest, most powerful smartphone. Voice activation, video, and much more. In stores now.

Finally. Financial advice powered by relationships, not commissions. We don’t chase the market and our advisors don’t work on commissions. Decisions about your money are based on our strong and steady investment philosophy and with your best interests at heart. From buying your first home, saving for retirement, or taking a trip around the world, you’ve got this. Find out if Vanguard Personal Advisor Services is right for you.

Attachments:
      greta_j
      Participant

Hi Mary! I like your clear delivery and tone. You could try easing up on pronunciation in words with lots of “t” or “r” sounds to give it just a dash more of that casual/conversational style. All the best! Keep it up!

nettipo1
      Participant

Hi Mary, I enjoyed both reads, and I could tell the difference in their tone. I think you could even bring out more of each tone, especially in the iPhone read, where the last two sentences started to sound more like the tone of the Vanguard read. It may help to remember who you’ve chosen to talk to in the iPhone read, and imagine how excited they would be to know about the features and where to get them. Good job overall!

mkell755
      Participant

Hi Mary, great job on both! The difference in tone between the two scripts was noticeable and very effective. Both are good genres for you, and both scripts were very well done! Keep up the good work!

Mary

L.Renee
      Participant

Very Nice

Official81
    Participant

Hello all, I am looking for editing feedback, thank in advance for taking the time.
    Scripts
    Liquiband Flow
    Developed with the input of clinicians across the globe, Liquiband Flow Control’s innovative design ans insures precise adhesive placement. The winged applicator packaging facilitates safe and easy activation, along with accuracy and control.
    Liquiband Flow Control can be applied in 2 simple steps:
    Step 1: While holding the container upright squeeze the applicator wings until a cracking sound is heard.
    Step 2: Ensure that the wound is throughly clean and dry prior to closure. Invert the tip and gently squeeze the wings to prime the device. When the tip turns violet, Liquiband Flow Control is ready to use.
    Step 3: While holding the wound edges together, apply an even coat of liquiband over the length of the wound, and continue to hold wound edges together, apply an even coat of Liquiband over the length of the wound, and continue to hold the wound edges together for 30 seconds.

Visibiity, performance, and predictability are paramount to success.

But how do industry professionals in sewn products manufacturing meet the challenges of reducing cycle times, increasing productivity, and delivering greater quality at lower costs?

Attachments:
      suecat
      Participant

Hey Official81, I agree with Mary. I couldn’t hear a big difference between the Liquiband-flow performances. I could hear the distinction in the Visibility performances. Try making your performances more conversational. Find that one person and speak to him/her. You have a unique sound, a little raspy with s*x appeal. Great work! Thanks for sharing!

mkell755
      Participant

Hi Official81, good work! I listened to all 4 scripts twice. For the Liquiband flow, I did not notice a big difference in the editing or sound between one or the other; they sounded very similar to me. For the visibility scripts, I actually like the script called “Visibility” more than the one called “Visibility-edit. The sound was warmer / clearer in the unedited version to my ears, and sounded better. The edited version sounded raspier / rougher (?) You have a cool raspy voice so that’s not a bad thing, just sounded different to me. I hope that helps!

Mary

Official81
        Participant

Thank you so much Mary!

L.Renee
      Participant

Very Nice Sound, Keep up the Great work

Zhenee
      Participant

Wow, you have such a warm voice. My only suggestion would be a tip my teacher gave to me. When you read a list of items (ie. apples, oranges, pears, and bananas…), try to use different tones and pitches so that the listener can differentiate between the items. Oftentimes you would use the same tone when reading off a list. Changing pitch will keep your reads from sounding too monotone.

Official81
        Participant

Thank you so very much!

Zhenee
    Participant

Hello All,
    I would appreciate feedback concerning my narration homework. All criticism is welcome!

Motivation Meditation Script #1
    I know that you’re scared, and it’s a good thing to be scared. Because with that fear, you realise that there is a strange adrenaline rush that takes over you, akin to most of the top athletes and singers right before they play and start their performance. As you feel scared, you can begin to you know…use this emotion for the better. Use the rush, use the adrenaline, use all of this nervous energy. You get scared because your mind pictures things not going in your favour, however the mind is creative. One of the scenarios it can create, can come from the space of courage. It’s all a picture in your head at the end of the day.
    So why don’t you take this opportunity to think of the outcome that you want, the one in which you’ll feel happy, satisfied and excited about this journey that you’re about to take. Yes, use all the nervous energy to imagine a level of euphoria unfathomable so far in your life. It’s bright and vivid. You put aside the negative images you were seeing with these new, beautiful and breathtaking ones. Yes, you can……NOW….BEGIN TO BELIEVE IN YOURSELF. (like a hypnotic order)

Fish Boil Script #2
    Even people who don’t like fish, have been known to like this fish. That’s why a fish boil is a must-do experience when you visit Door County. It all starts with a blazing bonfire under a kettle of salted water. People circle around to warm themselves and take in the crisp smell. When the temperature is just right and the crackle of the fire is just loud enough, the boil master adds a basket of potatoes and onions to the kettle. A few crackles later, the mild whitefish steaks, fresh from Lake Michigan, are delicately lowered in. At just the right moment, kerosene is tossed into the fire, exciting the blaze and causing the water to boil over, dramatically carrying off the fish oil that has collected on top. The fish are pulled out and greeted with a generous drizzling of butter. Ladies and gentlemen, dinner is served.

Recycling Script #3
    I don’t know about you, but I like our planet a lot! And one of the easiest ways we can help protect the Earth is by recycling. That’s where instead of throwing things like plastic in the trash, you put them in a special bin so they go to a kind of factory to be reused. You’ve probably recycled things like plastic bottles before. There might even be a recycling bin in the room you’re in right now! Recycling is important because it helps keep the Earth clean, especially from trash made of plastic.

Attachments:
      Mary Werntz
      Participant

Hi Zhenee! You have a very kind, gentle sound. You did a great job with these and I think you’d be well-suited for anything geared towards children as well.

L.Renee
      Participant

I like the way you did this 🙂 Awesome Job

Official81
      Participant

Zhenee my love! ALl I am going to say is…. You got it girl you got it girl! In my Chris Brown voice! Very nice edits clear consise the dynamism in your voice is everything! Excellent Job.

Oktober10
    Participant

Hi all, a few more.

Attachments:
    Oktober10
    Participant

Hi everyone, more practice runs. I appreciate your comments. Thx!

Attachments:
    mkell755
    Participant

Hi all! Here is a recording for narration practice for my upcoming demo. Let me know what you think! Thank you, Mary

Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip, who were married for more than 70 years, can boast of the longest-enduring marriage in British royal history. Their love story, which first began when a 13-year-old Elizabeth developed a crush on her older third cousin, has lasted through Elizabeth’s duties as queen, as well as Philip’s need to adjust to life as her consort. Whether dealing with pushy royal courtiers, dynastic name squabbles or press scrutiny and scandal, they’ve managed to remain a united front.

Attachments:
      L.Renee
      Participant

Great Pacing, nice flow

mkell755
        Participant

Thanks for the feedback LRenee! I’ve been working on both pacing and flow, good to hear that it sounds ok. Thanks!

Mary

Official81
      Participant

Excellent Job Mary WOW! Very nice and clear even tone. Sounds like a beautifully narrated spot. Keep up the great work!

mkell755
        Participant

Thanks for the feedback Official81! Really appreciate the nice words! 🙂

Mary

Robert Broussard
    Participant

Just trying this out. Not sure if the background music is the best. Please leave any feedback. Thanks

Attachments:
      mkell755
      Participant

Hi Robert, good job! That is a really long list of beef items! 🙂 Because there are so many items, you might try to vary up pitch here and there to keep the listener’s interest, more so than you would typically need to do for a shorter list. I did not mind the background music, was not distracting. Good job!

Mary

Robert Broussard
        Participant

Thanks Mary, that was an old Sam Elliott commercial I thought would be fun to do.

mkell755
          Participant

Well cool! That sounds like something Sam Elliott would do! 🙂

Mary

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.