Feedback Forum

• Creator
    Topic
    David Goldberg
    Edge Studio Staff

The Edge Studio Feedback Forum is the best place for you to post a recording and get feedback from the community! Record in your home studio, upload the file, and see what people think. This is a great place to get some advice on your technique, on your home studio, or to ask for people’s opinion on your reads. Remember, that this is a community forum, so please remain positive and encourage your peers in helpful ways. If Edge Studio feels that a user is too negative, or antagonizing other members of the community, they will have their posts deleted, and risk being banned from further communication. 

Stay positive, listen to each other, and have fun!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
    suecat
    Participant

Hey Community, I’m here again hoping you’ll be so gracious and kind and critique my readings. I am preparing for my commercial demo and I need all the help I can get. Thank you all for taking time to listen and make comments.

Aetna/US Healthcare
    No matter where we live–when it comes to something as important as health care–we all want the best. That’s why AETNA and US HEALTHCARE have joined forces to create a partnership that will set a new standard for quality and caring. AETNA and US HEALTHCARE. Raising a standard for your town, for your family, and for you

Mailboxes Etcetera
    Everybody can use a little help when they’re out on the road- and that’s where MailBoxes Etcetera comes in. We get it done, and we get it done right. Mailboxes Etcetera.

• This reply was modified 3 years ago by suecat.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Sylvanie
      Participant

Nice read SueCat. The Mailboxes read, you can slow down just a tad bit..it was almost like a run-on sentence. Overall nice job.

Evette75
      Participant

Nice job, SueCat. You have a calming, granny voice ( hope that’s not offensive). Like when you’re sick and grandma is there to make everything all better. I do feel the Aetna read was a little rushed – sounded like every word was running together.

suecat
        Participant

Thanks — I like the compliment! It’s true — I rush through for some crazy reason. I’ll work on that! Thank you for listening and sharing feedback!

TimberTykes
    Participant

Good Afternoon!

Uploading a couple more of my recordings in hopes of feedback and critique.

Thank you for your time! It is much appreciated.

Attachments:
    rogue1
    Participant

Happy Friday, everyone! Took some welcome advise from Nettipo1 and upped the tempo on my “Disaffected” read. Again, the “Upbeat” and original “Disaffected” reads are posted for comparison. All comments welcome, my thanks for taking the time to listen!

Attachments:
      suecat
      Participant

Rogue1, the upbeat, sounds exciting and playful, like you really enjoy Jimmy Johns. The disaffected, is so perfect! You sound laid back and aloof! Well done!

rogue1
        Participant

Hi suecat! Thank you for the positive feedback. Always a pleasure to hear your thoughts and input—-appreciate your taking the time to listen!

salmaperez001
      Participant

You have a really nice, soothing voice. I can definitely hear a huge difference from the original Disaffected reads to the Upbeat one. Not only is the pacing much better, which allows the read to feel more natural. But also, you’re able to sort of switch tonalities much better. It sounds much more conversational and it almost feels like you’re bringing so much more life to the piece.
      I could hear a bit more of vocal fry in the original, slower reads. While in the upbeat version, the breathing felt much more, again natural. And it felt more inviting as well. But at the same time, there was still this balanced sense between professionalism and conversational qualities. Great job!

rogue1
        Participant

Thank you, salmaperez001! Appreciate your insightful feedback and am glad you hear the (upbeat) read as more natural/conversation—-certainly something I always strive for! And I agree that the “disaffected” read sounds a bit more labored and less natural/flowing. Again, thank you for taking the time to listen and weigh in with your thoughts!

Ksmack
    Participant

Hello everyone,

Homework assignment # 1 for Art Bruder. Please feel free to listen and critique. Thank

Attachments:
      rogue1
      Participant

Hello Ksmack, Love the wry quality of your voice, it’s very real and inviting—-and well-suited for this narration. I agree with JustJohn that it seems like you’re speeding through the read. As the subject matter is Seinfeld, there’s a lot of built in asides that might benefit from a little more relaxed timing (for example, the quip about “Massapequa”—-which is unfortunately too garbled to make out by my ear—-seems to beg for a beat before continuing). Slowing down a bit and continuing to build upon the (obvious) enjoyment you’re expressing in the subject matter should add more polish for an even more accomplished read. Keep up the great work!

JustJohn
      Participant

Your voice has a good timbre. The whole read, I would say, sounds rushed. Much of it is hard to understand, partly because of the high speed, partly because of insufficiently articulate pronunciation, and partly because your voice frequently drops off to a less audible low range. I would slow the whole thing down, even out the range a little (maybe don’t let your pitch get too low), and put a little more care into pronunciation.

DLeeVO
    Participant

Hello All. Posting 2 new narration reads. Looking forward to any and all input, thank you!

Attachments:
      Shmuel
      Participant

Hi DLeeVO,
      Technical quality sounds good.
      Animal planet sounds almost like your are yelling, not just excited. I would tone it down just a little bit, and make the read smoother.
      Motivation started to get monotonous pretty quickly, and yes you do sound like another person, but I did not hear the “cold or allergy ” affect that JustJohn said. But hey, a lot of this is subjective. Sounding like another person in this case is very very good in my opinion. It shows you can do different reads. Some of the words were not clear “… again to the top athletes …” is what I heard. Act out some of the words, just a little bit.
      Wish you success.

JustJohn
      Participant

Good energy at the opening of the Animal Planet Welcome read. The read sounds a little halting, and at times, even a bit over-pronounced (“top puppy players from all over the country,” for instance. You don’t need that many P’s or glottal stops). The read isn’t quite at the point of a natural-sounding flow. I would suggest keeping the friendly energy while smoothing out the delivery.

In the motivation meditation read, your voice sounds like that of another person — and it sounds a little like you have a cold, or allergies, or just need a glass of water. (I found myself reflexively clearing my throat while listening.) Again, I’d say the energy for the read is about right. Maybe ease up on the consonants just a little (for example, the “s” at the end of “yes” gets prolonged almost into a hiss).

In both reads, you sound friendly and accessible.

DLeeVO
        Participant

Hi JustJohn. Your input is much appreciated! Yesssss, i will pay attention to s’s, and over pronouncing consonants. And do find “Top Puppy Players” tricky to treat casually. I will keep working on them!

salmaperez001
    Participant

Hi everyone!

I’ve attached a couple of my narration recordings below. I would really appreciate some feedback. Thank you!

Attachments:
      rogue1
      Participant

Hello salmaperez001, There is a very charming, reassuring quality to your voice. Your reads are all very crisp, clear and pleasant to the ear.

“Type to Learn” – Your read seems the perfect tempo and clarity for little listeners to follow along. Again, the inviting quality of your voice seems perfectly suited to a learning tutorial.

“American Express Telephony” – Your instructional read is spot on, but I might suggest you modulate to a more conversational tone when you start up-selling (“Did you know…”). Be both the voice of authority and the trusted friend.

“Hershey Tours” – Here’s where I think you might also experiment a bit as, while your read is crisp and clear and your voice is naturally inviting, the performance sounds a touch too “telephony” when the script seems to suggest a more of “tell a friend” approach. Perhaps try a version where you lean into a more conversational quality as you imagine that you’re telling someone sitting next to you all about the wonders of Hershey, PA. Right now it sounds a bit like you’re reading a script (Which is something I have to work on, myself).

“Pre-Boarding Announcements” – Again, very crisp, clear, and above all, warm and welcoming—exactly what passengers would want to hear during the stressful confines of a crowded air terminal.

Well done! Keep up the great work!

salmaperez001
        Participant

Thank you so much rogue1! I really appreciate you taking the time to listen to my recordings and sharing such insightful, specific feedback!

whataboutsmee
    Participant

Hey all – here’s a narration script I would like to get some feedback on if possible. Below is the script. They’re looking for a “bold and deep voice”.

Great flavor starts with a perfectly trim cut of meat.
    It’s born from a well-balanced brine – one with real sugar.
    It’s nurtured by a slow cook in a small batch. We’re talking very slow. 12 hours slow.
    It thrives in smoke – real smoke, from real hardwood chips.
    And that smoke better be timed just right.

Flavor is an experience that comes from experience,
    5 generations worth.
    You get it from passionate people who know a lot, and who want to know a lot more.
    And when dedicated folks make mouthwateringly great flavored meat, it’s something we just have to share.

Flavor for family,
    Flavor for friends,
    From us.

Tastes good, right?

Attachments:
      nettipo1
      Participant

Hello,
      I think your voice is very good for this type of script and the “bold and deep voice they’re looking for! Your read is clear, too. But I think the energy and the pace need to be brought up more and kept consistent throughout the read. Nice job overall!

SandyBeach
        Participant

Hello there, Your voice definitely fits the requested description–a nice rich tone–and I like your expression, too, eg for phrases such as “it’s born from …” and “tastes good, right?” The reading sounded thoughtful, and I’m wondering if you’d rather it be more enthusiastic? Very nice job!

edixon310
    Participant

Hi guys. I would enjoy some feedback on a couple of recordings. I’m trying to become a character voice actor.

Attachments:
      SandyBeach
      Participant

Hello, I enjoyed listening to these! Wonderful how you were able to convey a bitter edge in Memories, and you had me smiling in Handsome-Jack: Jack’s was conversational but had (to my ear) enough “crazy” that I would stay away from the character in real life (!). The Edgar Allen Poe reading was moody and brooded, but a few words were not clear. All three readings were natural and flowed and conveyed a distinct character from the scripts that I could picture.

nettipo1
      Participant

Hello!
      I enjoyed all three reads. I think you do show a knack for character voicing. They were all fairly distinctive from one another. I think the Edgar Allen Poe read was the least like a character to me; it seemed like the character was trying to tell the story in a haunting way, so I wasn’t sure if the character himself was a haunting person or ghost. You seem the most natural and most conversational in the Handsome Jack read. Good stuff – keep going!

rogue1
    Participant

Good evening, all! Trying some new things as I close in on my demo record date. My coach suggested a “flat, disaffected” variation for this script, so I gave it a go. Take one is more upbeat, take two is a stab at getting in touch with my inner Millennial. 🙂 All comments are very welcome. Thank you for taking the time to listen!

Attachments:
      nettipo1
      Participant

Hi rogue1, I think it’s interesting what you did with the two different takes. I think the disaffected version could have been a little bit quicker, as monotone and flat doesn’t need to be slower. It did sound Millennial-esque to me–sounds like people I know, sadly…I think it’s definitely worth adding that type of read into your VO arsenal. In the Upbeat version, I think it’s interesting how you emphasized the key words. You seemed to employ the same kind of “slow and cool” style of emphasis on “freaky-fast” and “freaky-fresh” and then “five minutes” and “no further.” Perhaps you could try emphasizing with a different emotion behind it and see if that helps it from slowing down too much. Good job.

rogue1
        Participant

Hi nettipo1, Thank you for your insightful feedback (self-directing is challenging, so your notes are greatly appreciated!) Excellent point that a monotone/flat read doesn’t necessarily mean a slower pace, I’ll try a version where I ease off the brakes a bit more and see where that gets me. Will also change up the emotional emphases on what words I hit on the more upbeat read as you suggest. Always room for experimentation and improvement. Thanks again for taking the time to listen and comment!

nettipo1
    Participant

Hi Everyone,
    I appreciate any comments or things you notice, good or bad, in my reads, and any suggestions for improvement.
    Thanks!

Ziploc
    Only Ziploc brand bags have a unique interlocking zipper to lock in freshness in a way no other bag can. When it comes out this fresh, you know it went in a Ziploc bag. Ziploc. We’ve got a lock on freshness.

Jaguar
    I was born fast. Faster than those who would challenge me. I was born strong. Quiet in confidence. And blessed with might. I was born with instinctive quickness. Quick to recognize. To adapt. To respond. Quick to be quick. I was born to be seen by everything but the wind. I was born at the beginning of the last century, but I am undoubtedly of the next century. I am Jaguar. Born to perform.

Attachments:
      rogue1
      Participant

Hi Nettipo1, As always, such polished reads—-always a pleasure to listen to.

“Ziploc” is on point—-a natural, conversational vibe throughout brimming with inviting energy.

“Jaguar” is very unexpected. The brand is traditionally given over to haughty British accents and a rather superior tone, while your read brings an entirely different stance–a refreshing, more youthful (though equally assured) egalitarian quality. Shades of “This is not your pater’s Jaguar”.

Wonderfully done!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.