Feedback Forum

• Creator
    Topic
    David Goldberg
    Edge Studio Staff

The Edge Studio Feedback Forum is the best place for you to post a recording and get feedback from the community! Record in your home studio, upload the file, and see what people think. This is a great place to get some advice on your technique, on your home studio, or to ask for people’s opinion on your reads. Remember, that this is a community forum, so please remain positive and encourage your peers in helpful ways. If Edge Studio feels that a user is too negative, or antagonizing other members of the community, they will have their posts deleted, and risk being banned from further communication. 

Stay positive, listen to each other, and have fun!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
    Don Sack
    Participant

Greetings!
    Two spots for your considerations and critique?
    Thanks and…Rock On!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
      nettipo1
      Participant

Hi Don,
      Your manly voice is wonderful for these kinds of spots – but I think you probably knew that! 🙂 Both spots had great energy, and I would suggest slowing down the pace in certain parts, so that words you emphasize aren’t rushed or blended together. For Royal Purple Max, make sure to clarify the product name a teensy bit more so that “Max” doesn’t blend in with the word right after it “atomizer.” Try not to rush through the next few words, “high-performance,” “high-concentrated.” Since this copy has so many descriptive words, you may want to be more selective of which words you actually emphasize so that they stand out more. Make sure the tag line doesn’t get mixed into the list of benefits mentioned before it, by changing how you say the start of that sentence as well as removing the pause in the middle of it.

Don Sack
        Participant

Nettipo1;
        Thanks so much for very constructive feedback! You are very right in that I have to be constantly mindful of slowing things down.

Tamanitw1
    Participant

Hi All- I’m just starting my VO Training with Johnny H. who’s fantastic. I would love to hear your feedback on these reads. We’re working on me not being too loud and connecting with the listener. Thanks so much! Tamani

Attachments:
      Brandon Bell
      Participant

Hi Tamanitw1, I have some feedback for your reads. You have a welcoming voice overall between both. In Hallmark it starts off pretty inviting with high pitch combined with a feminine straight tone. It has LifeTime channel charm with the personality you’ve added! Some improvement is after “countdown to Christmas”, your vibe seems to shifts to newscaster, a faster pace than the first half, the words rush together.

Pandora-Charm-Bracelet has newcaster formal tone throughout—-almost educational. You have an excellent tone voice for front-line news! Ask your coach about these recordings. What’s missing in the Pandora one is the “magic” of buying one of these bracelets—like it gives you superpowers. Check out the “magic” upbeat vibe from this Macy’s parody commercial:

opti
      Participant

Hi, you have a nice voice. I would add some more color to the read and emphasize some important things: “its never too early” “holiday spirit” (make us feel it), you are putting more stress in the word “countdown” but then you drop with “to Christmas”.

Same with “you can watch YOUR favorite Christmas movies”… make us remember about our “favorite Christmas movies” with some more inflections and colors. Think of a promo that talks about a crispy delicious chicken, you should make it sound crispy and delicious to make us imagine that chicken.

Also, its a promo, and you are giving us the great news that we can watch our favorite x-mas movies 24/7… so make it sound like its an amazing news. you don’t need to be loud to make emphasis.
      Hope this helps!

Don Sack
      Participant

Tamanitw1;
      Very very nice! A real smooth, inviting voice that grabs attention! I’m sure that Johnny H. will be coaching your talent for huge success!
      Rock On!

edward
    Blocked

Awesome article. Great Job. Edge Studio is Really a nice Product to be used in Music Industry.

How To Setup HP Envy 7855 Wireless Printer

Cbrown865
    Participant

Hi All,

I’ve attached a couple of recordings for my homework. I’m trying to work on my speed by not flying through the entire read. If you all have any feedback, please let me know!

Thanks!

Cam

Attachments:
      Brandon Bell
      Participant

@CBrown865, I have some feedback for your Premiere-League. Your voice tone and pace are consistent throughout. But try to vary the pitch like you’d hear in a toy commercial so I can feel the excitement. The “it’s wow, it’s whoa, and what-the?!…three points, exclusive live matches” should come off like a mega-fan of the game is saying it. Those lines can be full of wonder and excitement, then down a casual wind-down pitch when saying ‘three points, exclusive live matches’. Maybe add a pause between the exciting lines and more conclusive half of the sentence.

Look at these Bop-it commercials. YouTube Bop-it commercial playlist
      The same way a kid narrates these with surprise, excitement and build-up, would be the same way a grown man might express those wows and whoa’s from the Premiere League.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by Brandon Bell.
        Cbrown865
        Participant

Thanks for your feedback, Brandon! Really good notes here. I’ll take another swing and try to apply what you’ve mentioned!

Don Sack
      Participant

Cb!
      Nice stuff! The Premier League spot: ya, slow it down; delineate the items you’re listing by inflections, they are all the same tone now….boring. Premier League is just that and THE hottest football (soccer) league on the planet with literally Billions of rabid fans, so look into that and pump up the passion!
      Rock On!

Cbrown865
        Participant

Thanks, Don! Appreciate the feedback!

brucem
      Participant

Hi Cam,
      My feedback, for the HIMS spot, overall I liked the pace and delivery. I would have put more of an emphasis on the product name HIMS in the second sentence by waiting a beat before finishing the sentence. “HIMS… makes it simple”. Also the phrase “get your relationship back on track”; I’m hearing an emphasis on the word “back”, I would probably want to emphasize “relationship”. Also for the Peacock spot, I had to go back and listen a second time to hear the product name “Peacock” at the beginning. I would start by saying Peacock clearly and waiting a beat to let it sink in before finishing the sentence. If nothing else, I would want the listener to walk away clearly hearing and remembering the product name. The spot has good energy and flow, about half way through I started to feel that I was listening to a list of indistinguishable items; I think there should be more variety in the delivery of each item on the list.

Cbrown865
        Participant

Thanks, Bruce! I really appreciate the thoroughness! This is will definitely help moving forward.

CatgirlMSU
    Participant

Hi, everyone! Here are my latest homework recordings for my sessions with Danielle. These are recorded on my iPad since I’m still working on getting my home studio space set up, so the sound quality isn’t studio perfect on these recordings. I just need feedback on my readings. I have uploaded three recordings. I am attaching three recordings from the student script library.

Thank you for your feedback!

• This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by CatgirlMSU. Reason: Files not attaching properly
    Attachments:
      Brandon Bell
      Participant

Hi CatGirlMSU, I have some feedback on your “A-Haunting Tale” read. In your About Horror read, your tone is very educational and informative, like a historical eBook. It works there! I think you’ve carried that tone over to your Haunting Tale read which makes it seem like you’re a school teacher educating us about evil—instead of a haunting show or sinister narration, like a Halloween X-files opening.

You could add a lingering whisper with each of your pauses. Add heavier breaths on core words like “REAL evil” “DARKEST shadows” “things we FEAR” “NIGHTMARES…” Slow down the pace in the second half, “there are doors. When they are opened…nightmares”, leave room for suspense after each line. You zip through them quickly like a single sentence. Maybe try them as separate. As you read “there are doors…”, imagine the sound & image of a glowing red door creaking open along with a whispery pause—to help feel suspense before then next line. As an example.

Check out this piece from haunting actor Vincent Prince:

A Haunting title

A Haunting Title
      In this world, there is real evil.
      In the darkest shadows and in the most ordinary places.
      These are the true stories of the innocent and the unimaginable, Between the world we see, and the things we fear.
      There are doors.
      When they are opened.
      Nightmares become reality.

Cbrown865
      Participant

Hey CatgirlMSU!

I loved the reads! For the Horror scripts, the only thing I would say is to try to make them sound more menacing! I think if you slow down a tad you’ll be able to find a good pocket to play around in and add a more horror/scary feel.

I like the Jazz one as well. Would just say slow down just slightly!

Good luck on your VO journey!

Cam

CatgirlMSU
        Participant

Thanks, Cam! I will definitely work on that more. I’m still working on slowing down some of my script reads.

Susan, aka CatgirlMSU

Brandon Bell
          Participant

Hi CatGirlMSU, I have some feedback on your “A-Haunting Tale” read. In your About Horror read, your tone is very educational and informative, like a historical eBook. It works there! I think you’ve carried that tone over to your Haunting Tale read which makes it seem like you’re a school teacher educating us about evil—instead of a haunting show or sinister narration, like a Halloween X-files opening.

You could add a lingering whisper with each of your pauses. Add heavier breaths on core words like “REAL evil” “DARKEST shadows” “things we FEAR” “NIGHTMARES…” Slow down the pace in the second half, “there are doors. When they are opened…nightmares”, leave room for suspense after each line. You zip through them quickly like a single sentence. Maybe try them as separate. As you read “there are doors…”, imagine the sound & image of a glowing red door creaking open along with a whispery pause—to help feel suspense before then next line. As an example.

Check out this haunting narration by Vincent Prince (used in MJ’s Thriller opening)

Tylwoo519
    Participant

Mishmash of samples

Attachments:
      Don Sack
      Participant

Tylwoo; Very entertaining!! Are you working on “breakthrough”? Otherwise some of the bed music is a tad distracting. #2, I could not understand most of what you said; the prospector voice was great! Fegettaboutit!
      Rock On!

Bill Mahoney
    Participant

Thanks in advance. Just looking for thoughts on this VO. Anything you can add, is much appreciated.

Attachments:
      nettipo1
      Participant

Hi Bill, I also liked your tone and delivery. It’s very good already, but my main observation is that it could be even more conversational, starting with the first sentence. Since it’s a significant question, one that will require the listener to self-reflect, you may want to deliver this script with more “directness,” certainty, and intimacy, to an individual listener. Right now it kind of feels like it’s being spoken to a general audience. Perhaps think of yourself as the person’s inner conscience, and see if that changes the emotional quality of your read. You’re already at a good level, so this is just a minor adjustment.

brucem
      Participant

Hi Bill,
      I liked your tone of voice and delivery. There was a nice pause after the first sentence, letting the initial question sink in before proceeding. I think you should have a similar pause before the the sentence “Now is time”. That sentence shifts the tone of the piece to a call-to-action which would stand out better if there was a longer pause between it and the previous sentence.

JoseTaveras88
    Participant

Greetings:

Another script from the library, I chose for practice.

This one is About Horror, in the Documentary category.

Any Feedback is much appreciated!

All the best,

José

Attachments:
      Don Sack
      Participant

Jose!
      Nice voice guy! Kind of choppy maybe? Smoother and no pauses? Look into setting up your recording, kind of hollow sounding and extraneous noise.
      Rock On!

Jayburglar
    Participant

Hi everyone, getting ready for my narration demo prep and have 3 new samples I’ve been working on.

DUBLIN 2
    Home over the centuries to great writers like Johnathan Swift, George Bernard Shaw and James Joyce. Dublin has always been a center of the arts. Now, with the still roaring Celtic Tiger economy to support it, Ireland’s Capital City is the bustling home of ever-burgeoning business, important cultural institutions, lively nightlife and a youthful energetic population of both natives and newcomers.

TEXICON FAMILY
    “Hey there new employee, or should we say, new family member. As a member of the Texicon family, we want to formally introduce you to your new home, but too formal because that’s just not our style. Now you’ve already got your new uniforms and met with our incredible CEO, or head of the family as we like to call him. Now it’s time for me to bring you up to speed on what your days are going to be filled in with. Make sure you grab some of the complimentary cake you have in front of you, we love cake here so you’re going to have to get used to that, and see what the rest of your time at the Texicon household has in store for you!”

VOICE FOR THE CITY OF TORONTO
    You know that term “We’re all in this together?” Well, it’s true.
    While some of us might be working in government and others not, we’re actually all in the same boat. You see, we’re citizens as well.
    We all want the same thing. A city that works for everyone. As fast and efficient and as relevant as can be. Thriving, accessible, and inclusive.

Attachments:
      BONKmk
      Participant

Hey Jay, really nice work on all three of these. Very solid tonal contrast!

Dublin 2
      ———
      I’d like to hear a little bit more of the “T” in “writers” come out at the beginning. It sounded slightly too soft and I thought you said “riders” the first time listening. Could’ve just been your mic, but it stuck out to me. Aside from that, I liked this one a lot. Good pivots throughout the sentences, and you listed off the writers and attractions very well too.

Texicon Family
      —————
      I thought your delivery throughout all of this was totally fine. Very friendly and good-humored which works well for corporate explainer stuff like this.

Voice For the City of Toronto
      ——————————
      I think you should refer to “We’re all in this together” as a “phrase” instead of a “term” for starters. I think that’s just the more correct term to use for it. Aside from that I really like this one. You lift up all the relevant words super well and it just flows and makes sense.

BONKmk
    Participant

Hey guys! Just dropping off some samples before an upcoming narration demo prep. I’d love to hear any feedback!

Attachments:
      opti
      Participant

Hey man, I believe the year in the narration about Bill Gates sounds weird… like “niketeen”…
      Also, some things to take in count:
      – I still feel that you are reading, probably this is the reason Salma felt it a little bit monotone.
      – Try to add some more prosody to the reads, every read, speech, narration, promo, etc… requires some of it to make it appealing to the ear (and the brain). Also, the Anaconda narration shouldn’t have the same intentions and prosody as the Bill Gates one or the AT one.
      – When narrating a documentary, you must sound sure of what you are saying, we have to feel that you are the owner of the truth about that topic (even if you’re wrong).

There’s some others, but this will be a good starting point for you to work with. Keep the good job!

salmaperez001
      Participant

Hi, great job on these! I could tell that you have really good, solid breath support throughout. And good pronunciation as well as clear, concise reads.

Anaconda – It sounded very professional. However, I’d say that it could perhaps use a bit more of friendliness and like you’re actually talking to a friend, perhaps. If that makes sense. Because it also sounded a bit monotone, I could hear slight changes in intention, but maybe lean a bit more into this being something you’re interested in. (please feel free to take what works, and leave what doesn’t as I’m obviously not a professional.)

Advance Technologies – I really liked this read. I could hear the enthusiasm, and you sounded invested in what you were talking about, which was nice. I could also hear nice, clear tonal changes, while still maintaining that professional, authoritative quality.

Bill Gates – I could hear a good balance between professional and friendly qualities. It was really nice. Your voice is very clear and concise!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.