Feedback Forum

• Creator
    Topic
    David Goldberg
    Edge Studio Staff

The Edge Studio Feedback Forum is the best place for you to post a recording and get feedback from the community! Record in your home studio, upload the file, and see what people think. This is a great place to get some advice on your technique, on your home studio, or to ask for people’s opinion on your reads. Remember, that this is a community forum, so please remain positive and encourage your peers in helpful ways. If Edge Studio feels that a user is too negative, or antagonizing other members of the community, they will have their posts deleted, and risk being banned from further communication. 

Stay positive, listen to each other, and have fun!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
    sarahlukens1
    Participant

Just a newbie working on her voiceover stuff.
    any feedback is apprecoated

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
      nettipo1
      Participant

Hi Sarah, I like the energy of your voice! I think if you eliminate the pauses after “waffles” and “takes” and “home,” it will be smoother. Be mindful of the up inflection on “waffles”, which tends to make it sound more like a question. Nice job.

mkell755
    Participant

Hi all! I’m looking for some feedback for my upcoming narration demo. I was going for a friend teaching a friend knitting vibe here. Let me know what you think. Thanks! Mary

The important thing to remember is that every knitter is different, and what works well for one might not suit another. There are also many styles of knitting, with different ways of holding the needles and working with the yarn to create knitted fabric. We’ll show you the most commonly used methods, but you should do whatever feels most natural for you. Just experiment until you find a comfortable way of performing each technique, and don’t worry if your preferred way is slightly different from ours, as long as the result is the same.

Attachments:
      JustJohn
      Participant

This is very good. I sometimes feel like your careful pronunciation causes the read to feel just a little less natural. The phrase “…with different ways of holding the needles and working with the yarn to create knitted fabric” sounds a little breathless or nervous to me. I wonder if a little more pitch variation and maybe slowing down a little at that point would make it flow a little more freely. Overall, though, it sounds friendly and comfortable.

radioguy
        Participant

Very good overall but I think you could make it more natural sounding and less like a lesson. Keep up the good work.

mkell755
        Participant

Hi John, thanks for the feedback! I will work on keeping the breaths natural sounding and slowing it a little to be more conversational. Thanks for taking the time to listen!

Mary

LSlagle519
    Participant

I wanted to try my voice at a few commercials in the script library: One for Advil and one for Honey Bunches of Oats. I believe I took the right steps to make the reads conversational, but I would be grateful if I could get some feedback. These were the first recorded takes of each copy since I also want to try to worry less about getting the “right take” and more about getting a believable take.

Attachments:
      mkell755
      Participant

Hi LSlagle, good job for both scripts! Of the 2 scripts I felt that Advil was more believable and conversational for you, just seemed to flow better. The cereal ad had good inflection and enthusiasm, and there was a nice difference in tone between the two. Keep it up!

Mary

Evette75
    Participant

Hi Community,
    As I try to gauge my direction in the voiceover biz, attempted an audio read… please provide feedback.

Excerpt from To K**l A Mockingbird

Chapter 1, paragraph 1
    When he was nearly thirteen, my brother Jem got his arm badly broken at the elbow. When it healed, and Jem’s fears of never being able to play football were assuaged, he was seldom self-conscious about his injury. His left arm was somewhat shorter than his right; when he stood or walked, the back of his hand wsa at right angles to his body, his thumb parallel to his thigh. He couldn’t have cared less, so long as he could pass and punt.

Attachments:
      mkell755
      Participant

Hi Evette, very nice! I like your nice soft tone, it’s very pleasant for an audio book. The pacing was good and I could really visualize the images. The only thing I noticed was that “stood” sounded a little smushed, like “sood” (no ‘t’ sound). but that’s minor and can easily be fixed. Good job!

Mary

Evette75
        Participant

Thanks so much for your feedback, Mary!

brucem
    Participant

Hi,
    I attached a demo script reading; any and all feedback welcomed

Bruce

Attachments:
      Sylvanie
      Participant

Hi Bruce, Enjoyable read indeed. Nice deep voice and pace was great. Nice job!

mkell755
      Participant

Hi Bruce, good job! Your voice is well-suited for this genre. You have a nice deep and clear voice that cuts through and works well in a college tour like this where you are trying to get and keep college kids’ attention. Nice work!

Mary

Evette75
      Participant

Hi Steve,
      You have a baritone type voice and I enjoyed your read. It was descriptive and to the point. I did detect a little stumble but recovered well. Nice job!

jwreickel
    Participant

Hey all!

Uploading a few more scripts as part of my homework! Any feedback would be appreciated!

Jimmy

Attachments:
      nettipo1
      Participant

Hi Jimmy, this is a nice and pleasant-sounding read. I could kind of hear an up-down inflection pattern throughout, so maybe be more selective with the words you choose to emphasize. You have good personality throughout, but perhaps it could be a little more conversational. All in all, you’re going in a good direction. Nice job!

jwreickel
        Participant

Thanks nettipo! This is very helpful and I know I naturally come off as sounding like I’m reading so I’ll keep working!

Brandon Bell
    Participant

Hey Everyone,

Feedback is welcome. I’m new to the community, under coaching with Issa Deas.
    Attached is 1) A Haunting Tale and 2) HLC Tech Physics

Attachments:
      Evette75
      Participant

Hi Brandon
      The Haunting Tale read is just in time for the season – clinging to my blanket at a sleepover, hanging on to the “what’s next” is the vibe your read gave me, love it. I agree with nettipo1 with it influencing your second read.

Brandon Bell
        Participant

Thanks Evette for your feedback and taking time to listen. I like horror series so this was a fun take. The “What’s next” vibe is cool to hear :). I was an X-Files fan and Don’t Be Afraid of the Dark, Tales from the Krypte and ID Channel Haunted Mansions series.

nettipo1
      Participant

Hi Brandon – I was thoroughly scared by the Haunting Tale read – your voice was consistently in character. I think the Speed Velocity read was influenced by your Haunting read, in that the way you emphasized the words in Speed Velocity almost came across kind of scary. You might want to try different ways to emphasize or clarify words, or a different emotion. I think you have great depth in your voice naturally that doesn’t need much effort to bring it out.

Brandon Bell
        Participant

Thanks for your feedback nettipo1. I’ll work on ways to emphasize words and prevent tone bleed-over between reads. It’s something I noticed in other posts too! 🙂 Have to turn off previous character for sure.

nettipo1
    Participant

Hi All,

Thanks for any feedback you are willing to provide! Hopefully this won’t be cut off at the end, like all my other postings.

Betty Crocker
    Time flies when you’re a kid. Take a minute to savor the days of swing sets and sandboxes with fudgy, homemade Betty Crocker chocolate chunk brownies. Her childhood won’t last but her memories of the way you made it special will. Betty Crocker… what a great idea.

Attachments:
      nettipo1
      Participant

Hi Jimmy, thank you so much for pointing that out, that’s very helpful feedback! I appreciate it!

jwreickel
      Participant

Hi Nettipo,

Very much enjoyed the read, sounded very soothing and warm which I’m assuming was the goal! My only note would be to maybe add a pause or a tone shift between ‘sandboxes’ and ‘fudgy’ as it almost sounds like you’re saying ‘fudgy’ as a noun.

Keep it up!

Jimmy

Don Sack
    Participant

Greetings!
    Here are two spots for you to listen to and critique please. On a roll here after a bit of a layoff.

Attachments:
      LSlagle519
      Participant

Hi, Don!

First of all, your voice is great! It has a certain gravitas that gets the audience’s attention and it works wonderfully for both of these reads! I could understand what you were saying clearly during the Aetna read! The pacing of the Pilot Shop read was great, too!

One thing that will help you with the reads is to ask who you would have these conversations with. Say, for Aetna, you’re talking to someone who’s uncertain about their healthcare options or maybe they’re lost trying to find what works for them. Perhaps you’re talking to a younger person who wants to be a pilot and needs the right teacher or simply wants to know what it’s like to fly one! Identifying who you’re speaking with and why you would bring either of these topics up will make your delivery sound more conversational. As it is now, it IS a bit robotic. However, you laid down a solid foundation to build on with these pieces of copy!

nettipo1
      Participant

Hi Don,

I like the certainty of the Aetna read, but I would eliminate the pauses so that it doesn’t get too choppy. The first part of the first sentence had a downward inflection at the comma plus a pause.
      I liked the Sports Pilot Shop a lot. It really flowed, with no obvious pauses. I think you may have said “aromatics” instead of “aeronautics”? I could totally hear this announcement over the PA system in a store… while I shop for pilot stuff (just kidding!) Good stuff. Keep it coming.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by nettipo1.
    nettipo1
    Participant

Hello! Thanks for your feedback!

McDonald’s Salads
    Me. Myself. My salad. Okay. This is it. This is the salad for me. The Grilled Chicken Caesar at McDonald’s. I am so into all the different kinds of lettuce and the cute little tomatoes. But what really shouts my name is all that warm grilled chicken. I drizzle on the low fat Newman’s Own all natural Balsamic Vinaigrette and I am one happy woman. Want to hear me go on and on about the crispy cobb or bacon ranch salad too? I’m lovin’ it.

Attachments:
      Sylvanie
      Participant

Hi Nettipo, Nice voice indeed! Agree with Don on a pause, but overall very very good!

Don Sack
      Participant

Nettipo!
      With your voice…you’re hired! Listen, a pause and different inflection before “drizzle”; as well, the recording cut off the finish.

nettipo1
        Participant

Thanks Don! I appreciate it!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.