Feedback Forum

• Creator
    Topic
    David Goldberg
    Edge Studio Staff

The Edge Studio Feedback Forum is the best place for you to post a recording and get feedback from the community! Record in your home studio, upload the file, and see what people think. This is a great place to get some advice on your technique, on your home studio, or to ask for people’s opinion on your reads. Remember, that this is a community forum, so please remain positive and encourage your peers in helpful ways. If Edge Studio feels that a user is too negative, or antagonizing other members of the community, they will have their posts deleted, and risk being banned from further communication. 

Stay positive, listen to each other, and have fun!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
    HeatherDT
    Participant

Good Evening Everyone! I have more homework and would greatly appreciate your critiques please. I greatly appreciate all of your feedback as I work to improve. Thank you in advance for your time.

Evolution at Bayer
    We live in an unprecedented time. Beijing’s remarkable transformation is the perfect example of dramatic worldwide progress.
    We are also living in the year of the dragon. This powerful symbol represents optimism, entrepreneurship, and the drive for something new.
    In 2005, Bayer Consumer Care boldly acquired Roche, which transformed our company into a global contender at a time when pharma growth rates were higher than OTC. China, Russia and Brazil were not even in the top 10.

Nuclear
    “Your attention please. This is an emergency message. This is not a drill. This is a warning that multiple reactors within the facility have been compromised. We repeat, multiple reactors have been compromised. The facility must be evacuated immediately as a lockdown is now in place. Will all workers make their way to the nearest emergency exit. Please leave all your belongings where they are and make your way to the exits immediately. This is not a drill.”

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
      manchilda
      Participant

I would probably buy ice from you during a snowstorm, but I LOVED the nuclear read. It was a perfect balance of urgent and professional.

ashleymitchel
      Participant

You have such a credible sound in both recordings. I felt engaged while listening to both, especially the nuclear recording.

Earthbul
      Participant

I enjoyed your interpretation of the Nuclear script. Nice sense of urgency. As for the Bayer spot it felt you found your voice late in the read. You’ve got a wonderful sound. Love your accent.

IlikeGlen
    Participant

Hi Everyone! My name is Glen Ross I am new to the school as well as the forum
    Please do me the honor of listening to my attachment and don’t hold back on the feedback
    thanks community

• This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by IlikeGlen.
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by IlikeGlen.
    Attachments:
      IlikeGlen
      Participant

Thank you so much Ashley😁

ashleymitchel
      Participant

Oh my gosh, the last line is so ominous. Well-delivered!

RBenesVO
      Participant

Glen, welcome to the forum and getting into this. I like the voice, it fits and you have good inflections. Recommend you check the gain as you may be clipping. Normalize to -3db with your DAW as it’s coming out pretty high. There are some breaths where you could dial down the amplitude in editing or possibly remove some of the more apparent pre-breathes like at 29.5 seconds.

IlikeGlen
        Participant

Hi Rbenes,
        Thank you for the quick feedback especially when you said it fit,that means so much. thanks as well for the -3dp tip because I was stuck on doing it at -1dp
        When I get back to home studio I will adjust it.
        Thanks again I wish you much success with your voice acting career

RBenesVO
    Participant

Tonight’s homework:
    Cactus Pepper Sauce
    I serve Cactus Pepper Sauce to the trail hands ever day, cause they like their chow spicy! Believe me, that sauce keeps those cowboys boisterous and motivated. Oh, I just stir up Cactus Pepper Sauce from ingredients I find in the dessert, then I let it cure out in the chuck wagon. It’s a secret recipe, locked away in my mind.

AEC Foundation narration
    Every child deserves to grow up with opportunities to learn and thrive. With his skills, her talents, each is a potential leader, a contributor, a productive citizen. How kids grow up will determine their success as adults. But sadly, more than one in five children in America are growing up in poor families and poor neighborhoods, where the chance to thrive is anything but a given. The Annie E. Casey Foundation is dedicated to changing that.

Attachments:
      edixon310
      Participant

Great read. You have a nice quality to your voice. I also liked that you were able to add a character to you Pepper Sauce read, that’s something that I am working on.

IlikeGlen
      Participant

Hey Rbenes
      I like the tone of your voice
      I feel maybe a little more inflection as well as hitting the product line harder overall nice job

ashleymitchel
      Participant

Wow, listening to these two recordings back-to-back shows just how varied your vocal range is. Nice!

Great choices on how you say “spicy” and “Oh, I just stir up..”

The space you take with the first line of the AEC recording sounds excellent. You really let it breathe and it fits perfectly with the content.

bnielsen15
    Participant

Hi everyone! These files are for my week 4 homework. I had some issues with normalizing these, so they may sound a tad quiet. Apologies in advance! Any feedback is welcome and appreciated more than you know.

Ziplock: Only Ziploc brand bags have a unique interlocking zipper to lock in freshness in a way no other bag can. When it comes out this fresh, you know it went in a Ziploc bag. Ziploc. We’ve got a lock on freshness.

Cleaner Elections: Smear campaigns… mud slinging… twisting the truth. Why do politicians resort to such underhanded tactics? Do they think it really helps their campaign? It’s u**y, uncalled for, and deceitful. So why do we allow them to continue?

Amtrak: So much beauty in one place! America is a great country, and we’ve got the best way to see it. Amtrak “Explore America” fares. Round trips from one hundred and seventy nine dollars all across America. It’s a great country, at a great price. Call 1-800-USA-RAIL now about Amtrak “Explore America” fares.

Attachments:
      michaelflemingvoice
      Participant

Hello, sir.

Your voice is definitely friendly! I feel like you’re almost there in nailing the ziplock and amtrack. I’m thinking a little more variation in inflections through each piece would nail it.

For instance: “when it comes out this fresh, you know it went in a ziplock bag”…I see the words ‘this,’ ‘know,’ and ‘ziplock’ like hurdles on the track, and I would raise my entire body each time I said them.

The way you read Cleaner Elections, I felt like I was at the funeral for political ads. Like there was actually no way to change them. Rile up your audience with the first three phrases. Get them on your side with the next two questions. See them in your mind agreeing with you on the adjectives, while you hit each one fairly hard. And make them anticipate the answer to the last question, emphasizing almost every word. See how that might change the read.

On Amtrak, imagine those places in your mind that you agree make America a great and beautiful country to travel. Take it all in in you mind and savor it, maybe even imagine those inspirational cello string instrumentals that run over time lapsed clouds to give the inspirational feel, and that’ll help inform the pace, I think. And slow it down on the phone number, I didn’t get a pen in time! 🙂

Each file was cut off at the end, and I see what you mean about quiet, but it didn’t seem horrible. Like I says, you’re almost there, and you have the talent. Keep up the hard work!

chennianen
    Participant

I actually have two more!

Motel 6
    Whether you live for a good ride or ride to live a little more. Everyone can agree on Motel 6 where you always save more for whatever you travel for. Like the open road.
    Book online at motel6.com.

Purina
    When you have a pet…life is better, because pets enrich our lives in immeasurable ways, Purina shares your passion for pets, it’s why we continue to do all we can to help pet owners make the world a better place for pets. Purina, your pet, our passion.

Attachments:
    chennianen
    Participant

Hi everyone — here are some reads that I completed! Feedback is welcome 🙂

Go Daddy
    This report is brought to you by Go Daddy! Running your own business running you ragged? Go Daddy can help. With memorable domains, website design, online marketing and 24-7 expert advice. You can do it…correction…you can k**l it. Go you. Go Daddy.

Invisalign
    Your smile says a lot about you. If you let it. When you’re uncomfortable about your teeth, it’s easy to hold back your smile. Invisalign’s advanced technology now lets you straighten your teeth invisibly – so you can express yourself fully. And because they’re invisible, no one has to know about it. Hundreds of thousands of people already have discovered Invisalign. Maybe it’s time you were one of them.

Ziploc
    Only Ziploc brand bags have a unique interlocking zipper to lock in freshness in a way no other bag can. When it comes out this fresh, you know it went in a Ziploc bag.
    Ziploc. We’ve got a lock on freshness.

Attachments:
      ashleymitchel
      Participant

I love how you chose to say “if you let it” and “maybe it’s time you’re one of them” in the Invisalign recording. It sounded how a friend would say it. It really felt like you were implying I try Invisalign and that if I didn’t, I’d be sorry. But still in a friendly, almost sly, way. I could feel a little wink behind the words, if that makes sense.

Logan DFD
    Participant

Hope to get some feedback on my natural delivery. How does it sound? Thanks!

Earthbound Farm

Here at Earthbound Farm, we don’t use any harmful chemical pesticides.
    All of our organic salads, fruits and vegetables are grown in harmony with nature.
    And while farming organically may cost more, we think you’ll find Earthbound Farm organic produce is an infinitely better value.
    Because with each crisp, delicious bite, you can take comfort in knowing you’re protecting your family’s health.
    Now and for years to come.
    Earthbound Farm.
    Food to live by.

Attachments:
      chennianen
      Participant

Hi Logan,

I think it sounds really nice! Your voice is well suited for this kind of commercial, I think! In addition to the other feedback you received, there were some points where you were trying to emphasize a certain word, but I think you ended up forcing the word out with too much air. For example, “HARMony” and “COst” come to mind. But still, great read!

Kim_Lomax
      Participant

Hi Logan! Thanks for the feedback on my read:). Great to hear you! I love the tone/timbre of your voice. I think if the goal is a natural delivery, you may want to speak with a bit more fluidity/connective tissue between words. There are several places where the delivery seemed a bit choppy.

Kim_Lomax
    Participant

Dear Forum, any feedback on my video game internet script would be much appreciated!

“As I’m sitting here on this Main Menu looking at this beautiful artwork, I’m just thinking about how far the video game industry has come. And a lot of you guys know this, but the Legend of Zelda is hands down – by far – my most favorite and treasured video game franchise of all time. And it’s probably because it’s the very first video game I ever played… It kind of set me on my path to being a gamer.”

Attachments:
      Sylvanie
      Participant

Hi Kim, My only feedback, I believe in the sentence. “And alot of you… “you” sounded like “ya” and your pace picked up a bit at the end. Just a little slower, all in all..nice read!

Logan DFD
      Participant

Great read! Really enjoyed it (especially since I have an affinity for The Legend of Zelda myself). The only feedback I could recommend is you might want to play with variation in the pitch, including the end of your sentences. It’ll make it sound more varied, like you’re talking to someone. Keep up the great work!

manchilda
    Participant

In advance of my coaching tomorrow. All feedback is welcome and appreciated!

Attachments:
      chennianen
      Participant

These sound wonderful! I think if you speak more clearly and with more passion, it would really shine. Right now, I feel like the AMEX and Invesco ones were just being read to yourself. Speaking up out and loud with more energy would really promote this to the next level!

manchilda
        Participant

thank you! I’m still getting over feeling self conscious when I do this. I appreciate the feedback!

Kim_Lomax
      Participant

What a resonant and beautiful instrument! Two things, given that you have a read both for a late night jazz radio station and for Goodnight Moon, I immediately thought of my own experience teaching jazz to very young children. We used to sing the text of Goodnight Moon to the tune of Naima by John Coltrane. Maybe try speaking the text while listening to that recording and see what, if anything, it does to change the pacing and/or melodic delivery? I also think there may be opportunities to create more interest in the list of things that the author is saying goodnight to. The word “goodnight” is repeated over and over which makes the things being said “goodnight” TO inherently more interesting. Perhaps try stretching out some of the text and adding a bit more space between the “goodnights?” Great work!

manchilda
        Participant

I love these ideas, thanks much! I honestly recorded Goodnight Moon for fun and wasn’t planning to post it. But then I shared it with some friends and figured, why not?

Earthbul
    Participant

Any and all feedback welcomed and appreciated.

Attachments:
      RBenesVO
      Participant

I like that a lot. I imported it into Adobe Audition so I could get a better look at the waveform. I’m curious, did you normalize it? The whole thing reads really well, and at my level can’t offer much in feedback except that the voice, pacing, etc., were all spot on for this.

Earthbul
        Participant

Thanks. Yeah, I just do noise reduction and than I normalize at 3.0 DB. I use Audacity. Basic I know but it gets the job done. Been playing around with Mix Pad as well.

Kim_Lomax
      Participant

Wow! There is so much great stuff happening here! I also love the pacing and the space between phrases. …”the true story of [space] Algona”… so good:). I have one observation and it may not even be a bad thing, but I notice that your ends of phrases tend to finish at approximately the same pitch. There’s great variety in the beginnings and middle sections of your phrases, particularly “and put to work in farms and factories and even in private homes..”

manchilda
      Participant

It’s terrific, love the music bed. Pacing, pauses, well enunciated, all great…you have a terrific tone to your voice as well!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.