Feedback Forum

• Creator
    Topic
    David Goldberg
    Edge Studio Staff

The Edge Studio Feedback Forum is the best place for you to post a recording and get feedback from the community! Record in your home studio, upload the file, and see what people think. This is a great place to get some advice on your technique, on your home studio, or to ask for people’s opinion on your reads. Remember, that this is a community forum, so please remain positive and encourage your peers in helpful ways. If Edge Studio feels that a user is too negative, or antagonizing other members of the community, they will have their posts deleted, and risk being banned from further communication. 

Stay positive, listen to each other, and have fun!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
    iSynge
    Participant

Hi everyone! I’m uploading a couple of recordings I would like feedback on, especially as I had trouble getting any feedback last time. Thank you for any help your willing to give!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Ryan D.
      Participant

Hey iSynge,
      Nice demos. Ottos was spot on and clean. Lenders had good enunciation, but I didn’t buy your voice as New Yorker 😉 Also, Lenders was pretty noisy at the beginning. Good luck

Robertb
      Participant

Hi iSynge,

First of all, I like what I hear regarding the tone of your voice and your diction.

Regarding the Ottos piece the one thing I might suggest is that with the initial part you might dig into the frustration a little bit so it contrasts more with the satisfaction you feel after the experience of working with Ottos.

My thoughts about Lenders is similar, in that I would like to hear a little more NY attitude/confidence when you say that as a NY’er you know about bagels.

I hope this helps. I didn’t hear major problems at all.

iSynge
        Participant

Thank you for the feedback!

I will say regarding the Lenders one that I was actually second-guessing myself a little, because despite the content of the script…I’m not actually a New Yorker? So it was a little awkward to think about.

I did want to ask about something I’ve been hearing a lot about from my coach recently – did it sound like I was ‘reading’ too much, rather than talking? I’m trying to work on that.

Robertb
          Participant

I didn’t have the feeling that you were reading it as I listened.

Wes@1972
    Participant

Hey guys, just posting my homework! An area of improvement for me has been editing, so I’m hoping it sounds great! Any feedback is welcome! Thanks, Wes

Attachments:
      Robertb
      Participant

Hi Wes,

You certainly have a voice that can do this work. Your diction is good, and I think these are good pieces to work on. The one thing I would say is that you should have more fun as you read. I’d like to hear more variety from you. My coach gave me two pointers that I hope might help you.

1. A specific actor is a booking actor. ~ I would suggest working more contrasts into the readings. What excites or moves you more than another part? Who are you talking to, and when are you speaking to them?

2. Please think of the script as a short story with a beginning/middle/end. Look for the “beats” in the copy. ~ feel free to make this into a mini performance.

Keep looking up! I hope this helps.

Wes@1972
        Participant

Hi Robert, and thank you so much for the encouragement and the constructive criticism. I’m going to keep working hard.

These are great tips you shared!

chennianen
      Participant

Your reading is clear and precise! I think there could be more variation in the way you read sentences, however. It sounded like it was bordering on a monotone voice. But, I like it so far!

Wes@1972
        Participant

Thank you for your feedback! I’ll keep this in mind as a press forward!

SweetPickles
    Participant

Howdy! Got a few files done for homework and would love feedback. I feel like I was a little fast doing them.

Attachments:
      chennianen
      Participant

I really like the ziploc one! You have lots of energy. Maybe it was a little fast, and I think the energy you bring, while fun, doesn’t quite fit the Purina one. But maybe that’s just me!

Alexander
      Participant

Sesame-Place: Sounds really good and your tone seems to match with this type of genre, too, Disney, Nickelodeon, etc.

Robertb
    Participant

Ok, going to try this again. After my first attempt to upload it said that I wasn’t allowed to upload this type of file. Not sure what to do about that. I would appreciate your feedback on my reading of these pieces. Please note that I used my phone to do this. I have not created a home studio yet.

Robertb
      Participant

Ok, I got a file converter link from Kendra in the education department so I will try this again. I am uploading three examples of things I am working on in preparation for my demo. Each was recorded on my phone, as I have not yet created a studio at home. I welcome your feedback on what you hear. Thanks in advance.

Attachments:
        Ryan D.
        Participant

Robert, these demos are pretty good! Your enunciation is good, your voice calming, laid back. Love the playful energy in the volcano demo lol! Are you using any sound deadening material in your recording area? Sounds like there is some extra reverb that diminishes the natural quality of your voice.

Lawszvoice
      Participant

Robert, Sorry you are having a problem uploading your file. Call your education advisor on Monday. I tried to send a file from my phone which sent over as an m4a to my email. Searched around to see if I could save it to another format but it wouldn’t let me. Looking forward to hearing your reads.

Robertb
    Participant

Hello everyone. I’m Robert, and I would appreciate your feedback on these readings. I am working on them as I move towards making my demo. Please note that they were recorded with my phone. I am in the process of creating a studio but have not set that up yet. Thanks in advance for your input.

DillonP
    Participant

Hello everyone, I have both a Commercial and Narration piece. please feel free to provide any feedback, I would really apricate some inside, thank you.

Attachments:
      chennianen
      Participant

Not bad! I feel like you were slurring your words together, and could use a bit more energy in your reads. But, despite that, I felt like your reading was pretty clear!

Lawszvoice
      Participant

Building Management read. The pace was fast for me, missing some of the instructions. Imagine that you are in the building, and as part of your job you cannot leave until everyone else is evacuated. Try conveying the instructions with authority, with a sense of urgency but calm. The real goal is to be clear and concise. You need the people to understand the instructions so you can leave.

You took me to the Caribbean in the Sandals spot. Nice read.

Alexander
    Participant

..and one more. Thanks again ~Alex

Attachments:
    Alexander
    Participant

Hi, this is my first post. Any feedback would be appreciated on any of these 4 clips. (Was recorded on a iPad) Thanks so much! ~Alex

Attachments:
      Lawszvoice
      Participant

You connected and related to the Six Flags and Milk ads. Milk was the most conversational, Nice.

Six Flags The diversity in your list of “no” was nice and I laughed at your delivery of you cannot paint the cat. Think about the Yes and how it makes you feel to finally get what you want.

JC Penney…My right creative brain sounds different from My left analytical brain. May be fun to try a bit of characterization between them and see what happens.

Lawszvoice
    Participant

Interested in your feedback on “the History Channel who would you be” from a female voice.

Attachments:
      chennianen
      Participant

I really like this one! You sound like an all knowing oracle or genie coming to me about changing the past, haha. Very smooth and it drew me in!

SuperLuke
    Participant

I have attached a segment from the first Jack Reacher novel, “Killing Floor” by Lee Child. Please let me know what you think about my narration progress so far.

Attachments:
      DillonP
      Participant

You have a good way of using a different voice. But feels like your not leaving enough space between sentences.

Lawszvoice
      Participant

Really enjoyed the voice characterizations. Overall, the pace and delivery were fast for me, therefore I missed some dialogue. Cudos on reading multiple characters.

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.