Feedback Forum

• Creator
    Topic
    David Goldberg
    Edge Studio Staff

The Edge Studio Feedback Forum is the best place for you to post a recording and get feedback from the community! Record in your home studio, upload the file, and see what people think. This is a great place to get some advice on your technique, on your home studio, or to ask for people’s opinion on your reads. Remember, that this is a community forum, so please remain positive and encourage your peers in helpful ways. If Edge Studio feels that a user is too negative, or antagonizing other members of the community, they will have their posts deleted, and risk being banned from further communication. 

Stay positive, listen to each other, and have fun!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
    bnielsen15
    Participant

Hi everyone! I’ve got a couple scripts here for my last session before demo prep. I’ve loved the feedback that I’ve received on past posts, and would greatly appreciate any more you all have to give.

With these scripts, my coach and I wanted to experiment with adding some small phrases to add my own flair to it. That’s why there are some phrases you’ll hear that aren’t in the verbatim script.

Church’s Chicken:
    “Here’s the deal. At this time of year, you’re probably craving seafood. And if you are, you’re probably not thinking about Church’s Chicken, right? Well, think again, because Churchs has it covered. Try our Butterfly Shrimp Platter. That’s Eight tender butterfly prawns, fried until golden, your choice of TWO sides – YEAH, that’s right – TWO sides, and a honey butter cookie for only 5 dollars.”

WAAAY Imaging
    “… These three and many other WAAAY Better Hits coming up, right after this product information especially for you! In 60 seconds, the most requested Hit of the week!”

Thanks again, everyone!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Ems412
      Participant

Hello,

I really liked the Church’s Chicken read. It felt like a voice-over that could be a radio commercial. I think the pace is good and your voice is clear but it seems to lack excitement. I do like the addition of the last line as well. And maybe a little more emphasis on TWO sides.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by Ems412.
      KMcClintock
      Participant

Hi bnielsen15,

For Churches Chicken I liked that you added some flair to the end, I think at the beginning you can come in more with a point of view. Maybe you’re talking to someone who always knows what to do, but now they don’t know what to do and you do.
      I like the waay copy, I feel for this one as well you can start more as if you are in mid conversation. People could have just been saying you have played great music and you wanna share that you got more hits on the way.
      Hope this helps!

edixon310
    Participant

Hi guys. I’m working on a bio to add to my page. What do you guys think?

Attachments:
    Joel
    Participant

Folks, it would be so helpful if I could receive some feedback to these two uploads. How is my pacing? Does it sound conversational?

Attachments:
      edixon310
      Participant

Joel. Your readings are both technically sound. As you continue to perfect your craft, I would begin to think about how to raise the listeners level of emotional engagement. Picture yourself talking to a group of your friends about how you found your first pet at the SPCA, or your recent vacation to the Baseball Hall of Fame. I even go so far as to use their names to get a sense of a natural sounding conversation.

Also, be mindful of the background noise, like a chair creaking or banging a table. A good mic will pick that up.

Great job.

Lawszvoice
    Participant

Hey VO Gang,

So I noticed myself getting a bit uptight behind the mic. Maybe a bit of performance anxiety. So I recorded a character voice first to work out the nerves. Then did my best to make it as real and conversational as possible. Let me know what you think. All feedback is appreciated.

Attachments:
      edixon310
      Participant

Hi, Lawszvoice. I think you’re off to a good start. Great tone and diction. I used to get a little uptight behind the mic as well, especially if I knew others were in the house.

To work that out, I would wait until I was home alone and shout my lines or be as silly as I could. Once you’ve done that enough, you will become more relaxed. Either that, or the men in the white coats will come for you.

With the Olive recording, I actually thought the straight one sounded more natural.

Good job though.

Lawszvoice
        Participant

LOL…the men in the white coats know my address well! I really appreciate the tip. It was so much fun to just get silly.

Ems412
    Participant

Hello,

Below I have three scripts that are similar to the copy I want to use for my demo. I am looking for feedback regarding pacing( too fast, too slow?) and overall critiques. Thank you.

Attachments:
      Gill
      Participant

Hi,
      You have a nice clear voice. Your projection could be less, just think of speaking to someone right in front of you, you wouldn’t yell at them because they’re right in front of you. Your pace is fast in study abroad, focus on where you can slow it down to showcase your voice and what you’re saying.

Ems412
        Participant

Thank you Gill.

Lawszvoice
      Participant

You have a nice clear almost authoritative sound to your voice. All three takes sounded more like you were reading, some of the sentences were choppy at the end like the last few words seemed to catch you off guard instead of a complete thought. Relax, have fun and tell us a story. Love the tone of your voice.

Ems412
        Participant

THANK YOU FOR THE FEEDBACK. IT HELPS ALOT.

Lawszvoice
    Participant

Hi everyone,

Would love any and all feedback, especially if it seems conversational and real. Don’t think I captured the humor at the beginning of the hallmark piece, but hopefully, I captured the real by the end.

Attachments:
      Joel
      Participant

You have a delightful tone to your voice. For the Tic-Tac recording, you might want to just give a slight more pause after you said, “…so funny” into “but the truth…” We need just a bit more time to absorb how great things were going on the date, give a slight pause and then go into the “but the truth…” maybe even in a slightly lower tone too.

indexasp
      Participant

You have a really warm, relatable, friendly voice. You varied your pitch nicely, keeping things moving and interesting. I think the things that jumped out as something to look at are: 1: sibilance… heard a number of sibilant SSSS sounds. 2. The last line kind of trailed off in a wistful, soft way… maybe intentional, but I’d like to hear you end it more intentionally and try it a few different ways.

Lawszvoice
        Participant

Thank you so much. I will definitely work on those points.

Swkeys
    Participant

A

chennianen
    Participant

Back at it again with some more readings~ Enjoy!

Attachments:
      Lawszvoice
      Participant

Good energy on Mr. Coffee read. Seemed a little over-enunciated especially on the “t’s” in the script. Hot P*t threw my ear a little bit.

Staples I really felt the emotion of good to bad in the first line of the script. It is so hard when the same word repeats in the script. The rest of the “Goods” didn’t feel as connected and had the same value. Hope that helps.

Gill
      Participant

Hi Chennianen,
      Can you please verify what you would like feedback on in your script reads. Thanks

Roman Saienni
    Participant

Hi all.. Here a couple of my latest spots that I’ve been working on.
    As always your feedback is appreciated.

Roman

Attachments:
      Lawszvoice
      Participant

Nice voice and tone overall.

The National Ad has so many “Backs” within the script that they all seemed to take center stage if that makes sense. I was not sure if it was intentional but made my ear stop. The first “back” being a body part may not need to be as strong as others. It might be fun to “rev” up your “backs”. Have fun with the word and the varied meanings within the script. Hope that helps.

The Subway read I really felt connected like you were talking to me. I imagined my choices and was excited about lunch. YUM

Gill
      Participant

Hi Roman,
      Nice reads overall. I think for the national car rental I hear “Back” and the Subway with “You” since you’re repeating them both could use some variation so it doesn’t all sound the same.

chloeblackstone
      Participant

I would try adding a little smile to the “National” read to bring it to life. And picture someone you’re speaking directly to.

chloeblackstone
      Participant

Hi Roman! You have a really nice, clear voice. Well done!

I have the same notes for both samples. It sounds a bit like you’re reading, and I think that’s because each sentence ends on the same “note.” If you vary the ends of each sentence, so it goes “up and down,” it should sound more natural and spontaneous. Also don’t forget to emphasize the brand name in “Subway restaurants.”

iSynge
      Participant

Hm…I know that this isn’t going to be very helpful feedback, but the first recording’s missing…something. It’s something that the second recording ISN’T missing, but I can’t quite put my finger on it. Apologies.

Mike Reddy
    Participant

Greetings everyone!

Hope you’re all having a great weekend.

Recordings and scripts attached.

Attachments:
      Gill
      Participant

Hello,
      Phytophotodermatitis is a handful good job with the script. I would focus on your diction with it there’s some areas where it’s hard to hear you clearly.

chloeblackstone
      Participant

Hi pmuller, I agree with the other commenter that your enunciation and articulation is great. I don’t know much about the genre for Phyto, so I have no notes on that one.

For the “Back to Life Journal” recording, I’m hearing a repeating rhythmic pattern in this read. As a listener, that was distracting me from the meaning of the words you are saying, and I started to just hear words. I would recommend visualizing an individual and speaking directly to them. Remember you are trying to convince someone to read this journal. You wanna embody this copy and give this text a little more enthusiasm to engage the listener. Hope that helps! Keep going, well done!

RYoung
      Participant

Good articulation on this technical narration! My only comment would be that your throat sounds a little dry, make sure to hydrate prior to recording, an easy fix.

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.