Feedback Forum

• Creator
    Topic
    David Goldberg
    Edge Studio Staff

The Edge Studio Feedback Forum is the best place for you to post a recording and get feedback from the community! Record in your home studio, upload the file, and see what people think. This is a great place to get some advice on your technique, on your home studio, or to ask for people’s opinion on your reads. Remember, that this is a community forum, so please remain positive and encourage your peers in helpful ways. If Edge Studio feels that a user is too negative, or antagonizing other members of the community, they will have their posts deleted, and risk being banned from further communication. 

Stay positive, listen to each other, and have fun!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
    SuperLuke
    Participant

Hello all,
    I wanted to share a recording of my narrating the first chapter of Lee Child’s “Killing Floor” before I go ahead with working on an audiobook demo.

Gill
    Participant

Hi Everyone,
    I’m back with some more practice scripts! I’m working on flow and diction and would love your feedback! Thanks…

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
      gigihernandezdoesit
      Participant

Hi Gill! Your Airoptic take is so natural, i really like how it sounds. diction sounds clear and i’d say your flow is allllmost there; although i like how much real estate you’re taking up with the first sentence, there are some pauses near the end of the copy that sound like periods instead of commas. where ever it is that you start sentences with “and” and “because”, the sentence before does sound like a complete thought. maybe its a copy thing, because you do seem to pick it up with a lot of energy each time. either way, great work!
      Gigi

mikemcgann
      Participant

Hello Gill,

Airoptic: Overall a very well done read. I would watch for the included breaths and some minor background shuffling. I feel the overall read could slow down a little to be in the realm of comfort and bed time. Listen for a few key words the client may want specifically hit, there were a few key words that should have popped a little more.

Allstate: I would watch for breaths and the mouth noises that happen at the same time. I don’t think I heard any saliva noises during words, but I caught some at the end of a word or at the beginning of the next. Otherwise nicely done.

Both your reads have a nice friendly and relaxed voice, definitely the inviting voice both of these scripts would be looking for. Good Job.

TimberTykes
      Participant

Hello!

These were great takes, and you have very nice and clear voice! Your diction was clear and well-pronounced.

If I had anything to say regarding flow, it’d be to make sure you’re enhancing your words, and adding variation where it matters. I can’t really tell what the product is and its properties (at first listen) without a little enhancement, telling me what it is. I hope that makes sense!

Gill
        Participant

Thanks TimberTykes, I appreciate your feedback!

Tracy
    Participant

Good evening everyone –

I have two recordings and would welcome feedback on the attached. Thanks for your time.

Tracy

Attachments:
      nicolance
      Participant

How do you feel about steel drums? Would have liked to hear more perspective in your narration.

Gill
      Participant

Hi Tracy
      I would work on the flow and tone of both read and see how it sounds after.

JNMullett
    Participant

Just getting started with Commercial Demo training. I would greatly appreciate any feedback. Thanks in advance!!

Attachments:
      Gill
      Participant

Jeff,
      You picked a couple of scripts that really highlights your voice well. I liked your natural voice in advil, your pace and diction are good too but I sort of felt you were putting it on for the chevy script. I think your natural voice would work just fine for chevy.

maxspitz
    Participant

Hey Ya’ll!

Been trying to get some practice in. Let me know any comments, feedback, etc. on these two reads. Thanks so much!

– Max

Lowes:
    Living rooms become classrooms…
    Dining rooms become offices…
    Bathrooms become break rooms…
    Garages…become gyms…
    And backyards…become the great outdoors…
    Lowe’s…
    What home can become…

Website Greeting:
    Meet Bob. Like 95% of car shoppers, he uses his computer, smartphone and tablet to shop for his next car.A few years ago, you could have reached Bob through traditional means such as Direct mail, TV or radio, and newspaper ads.Today, that simply isn’t enough.
    According to Google – customers visit 18 websites on average – before stepping into a dealership.

Attachments:
      Gill
      Participant

Hi Max,
      For lowe’s a little variation with the first three lines would enhance your read and I would just be mindful of your diction on website greeting where you say could have sounds like could of overall nice pace and tone.

Nik
    Participant

Hi would appreciate any feedback on my homework assignment!!:)

Attachments:
      Joel
      Participant

Nik, during your recording, you seem to dip into an accent, though I can’t tell where it is from. You have an American accent for most of the voice over (which sounds good and natural), but a couple of words, like “ham” for instance seems slightly out of place.

Nik
        Participant

Hey Joel,
        You are spot on! I’m Indian by nationality but went to an American school my whole life..hence the accent :)) I live in Dubai (UAE) and here they would categorize my accent as “neutral.” Hoping that will help me secure some work in this region 🙂

Joel
          Participant

Nik, its funny, one of my former students, Niki K, lives in Dubai and works at The Platform Dubai. Good luck with getting work in that part of the world. I know my former student is certainly enjoying her time there and meeting a lot of good friends.

LFlynt
    Participant

hi everyone!

I’m inching closer to Demo Day – so, as always – your feedback is much appreciated. it’s been so helpful these past months and I appreciate you all, so much, for your time and candor. I usually don’t ask for specifics, but this time, I’d love to know how and what the read makes you feel, if anything. and, of course, any other notes are also welcomed.

my best to you all, fellow artists!

Attachments:
      Joel
      Participant

LFlynt, I would check your diction for some of your words, such as, “young adults,” “couches,” and “vulnerable.”

carynbell
    Participant

Hi All,

Been working on my pacing and diction. Feedback is appreciated.

Thanks!

BENZ 2020 E-CLASS

A car that can actually see like a human.
    Using stereoscopic cameras and even stopping itself if it has to.
    The technology may be hard to imagine — but why you would want it, is not.
    The 2020 E-class.
    It doesn’t just see the future…
    It is the future.

USPS PSA

The US Postal Service wants 2 remind everyone this year 2 protect themselves from becoming victims of identity theft. Promptly remove incoming mail from your mailbox – and don’t give out passwords, pin numbers, or account numbers. 2 learn more, visit consumer.gov/ncpw

Attachments:
      Nik
      Participant

Hi really soothing voice!! I agree with the other comment that it could be a bit faster.

carynbell
    Participant

Hi All,

Been working on my pacing and diction. Feedback is appreciated.

Thanks!

BENZ 2020 E-CLASS

A car that can actually see like a human.
    Using stereoscopic cameras and even stopping itself if it has to.
    The technology may be hard to imagine — but why you would want it, is not.
    The 2020 E-class.
    It doesn’t just see the future…
    It is the future.

USPS PSA

The US Postal Service wants 2 remind everyone this year 2 protect themselves from becoming victims of identity theft. Promptly remove incoming mail from your mailbox – and don’t give out passwords, pin numbers, or account numbers. 2 learn more, visit consumer.gov/ncpw

Attachments:
      Gill
      Participant

Caryn, your voice is very soothing. I agree with Joel’s comments on your diction, but wanted to add that it sounds like you sort of have an accent when you say “themselves” like selves drags on maybe southern so i would be aware of that if you’re trying to stay neutral.
      Your pace could slightly be a little faster

• This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by Gill.
      • This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by Gill.
      Joel
      Participant

Cary, very listenable voice. I would take a look at your diction for words like “promptly” and when you say, “to learn more.” You said, “t’ learn more.” Your focus on using clear diction at “vist consumer.gov/ncpw” was good. My coach noted that instead of saying “your,” I was say, “yer.” So I think we all sometimes shorten some words in our day to day language use. But for voice over work we have to more careful. Also, you only uploaded one mp3 file. I liked your pacing.

carynbell
        Participant

Thanks Joel!!! I’ll fix that other file.

rustylj63
    Participant

Only one read tonight… thank you, in advance for your feedback. It is really helping.

Please disregard the audio quality, I’m sitting at my desk instead of in my “studio.”

Thank you!

Rusty

Attachments:
      indexasp
      Participant

I’d make that opening question stronger and more confident.. have more of a POV! 🙂 And reduce the silence after the question by just a beat – it stretches out a beat too long imho.

Listenable voice for sure..

TimberTykes
      Participant

I want to say thay you have a great voice! Especially for this read. If I had any feedback, I think you could work on the enhancement of your words between commas, and as for the opening line to this script, I felt like there was hesitation when asking the question, leaving the line feeling a little awkward. Other than that, a great read!

• This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by TimberTykes.
Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.