Feedback Forum

• Creator
    Topic
    David Goldberg
    Edge Studio Staff

The Edge Studio Feedback Forum is the best place for you to post a recording and get feedback from the community! Record in your home studio, upload the file, and see what people think. This is a great place to get some advice on your technique, on your home studio, or to ask for people’s opinion on your reads. Remember, that this is a community forum, so please remain positive and encourage your peers in helpful ways. If Edge Studio feels that a user is too negative, or antagonizing other members of the community, they will have their posts deleted, and risk being banned from further communication. 

Stay positive, listen to each other, and have fun!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
    Joel
    Participant

Hi everyone, my coach suggested that I try uploading some “commercial” VO examples, as I have been focusing on narration. Your feedback always welcome and helpful.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Roman Saienni
      Participant

Hey Joel…
      Nice reads but I think your focus on narration is seeping into these spots. Both reads feel a bit stiff. Try relaxing more and focusing on your audience. You have a very strong authoritative voice but both these spots are calling for a relaxed fun delivery. Give it a shot.

Hope this helps…
      Best
      Roman

gikegami
    Participant

Here are two voice over samples of commercials from the script library that I would like feedback on. I’m looking for feedback focusing on pacing. Thank you.

Attachments:
      Gill
      Participant

Gikegami,
      You have a unique voice that has a lot of character to it. I sort of feel these two commercials scripts weren’t the best in elevating the character in your voice. You may have to be more attentive towards scripts that fits your unique voice when you go through them. As far as your pace goes for Freshii, I would go alittle slower to highlight whats in each bowl. Advil’s pace was better just be careful of where you’re pausing.

mikemcgann
    Participant

Hello everyone, attached are two samples if I could get some feedback on them whether it be processing or vocal delivery.

Thanks

Attachments:
      mikemcgann
      Participant

Thanks Gigi and gikegami for listening, I’ll listen back and see where those parts stand out.

gigihernandezdoesit
      Participant

Hey Mike, good work on the your e-learning delivery! your tone is lovely. the main thing that i noticed there is a bit of slush on your pronunciation “ST” sounds. i noticed it in the word ‘standard’ and in ‘question’. perhaps a bit of diction practice & tongue twisters can help keep those letters clear!

gikegami
      Participant

Vocal delivery seems to be on point. Based on your samples which sounded like tutorials, your slow and relaxed pace is good since you are taking your time to explain the steps! Though, the word “or” might have seemed slurred at some parts of the samples. Overall, the voice samples, in terms of vocal delivery, were excellently delivered.

Devin
    Participant

Hi, first submission, looking forward to feedback

• This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by Devin.
      Devin
      Participant

Sorry, figuring out how to download, newbie here

Devin
        Participant

My first submission, Equine nutrition

Attachments:
          mikemcgann
          Participant

Hello Devin,

– I wouldn’t use the music in the background. I would recommend listening to it a few times then starting without it, or play it through your headphones but make sure the volume is low enough that your mic doesn’t detect it.

– Your pacing wasn’t too fast, but I feel the music suggests it should be even slower and maybe some extra time in the breaks. The music to me suggests there would be nature visuals in between the sentences.

– Watch for occasional mouth noises. Nothing too bad, but a few stood out.

You still did very well, your voice works well for this piece, so nice job selecting it.

Wes@1972
    Participant

Hello Everyone! Last time I posted, the constructive feedback I received was great! An area of improvement is differentiation in pitch, and being conversational and less robotic. I can tell you I’ve put in some time and I’m hoping it shows. Thanks in advance for your feedback. Wes

Attachments:
      mikemcgann
      Participant

Hey Wes,

Looking at Wolves: Your voice is great, but watch for plosives on the Ps and mouth noises. I would drink a little more water and make sure not force the air out on the Ps. Sometimes rotating the mic a little so the air rolls off screen before it punches the diaphragm helps. Watch for choppines in the delivery or pacing, try changing the paragraph format in the script to something that feels natural to you. Sometimes changing the paragraph to bullet points will help with the pacing for both your vocal delivery as well as remembering where to take a breath.

Sun Life: Pacing was not as choppy, but a little fast. Same comment on plosives and mouth noises, mostly plosives. As I mentioned to someone else, try putting up something behind you while you read, it may help with some of that room echo you’re getting in the recording.

Still nice work Wes, you’re on the right path.

Teddpr
      Participant

Hi Wes,

You have a nice sounding deep voice. You are still sounding a bit staccato and robotic. Try adding some warmth to your narration.

Wes@1972
        Participant

Hi Ted! Thank you for your feedback! I’ll continue to work at that.

mir19800
    Participant

Hello, I am brand new to VO, please provide me with your positive feedback, thanking you in advance.

Attachments:
      mikemcgann
      Participant

Hello,

Trendi: Watch for overall speed and pacing. That 75% would probably want to be slower, while looking at that, think of other words the client may want to stand out as well. I also agree with making sure words are complete. One example would be “and everything ships free” the “and” is almost there but a little is missing.

Password reset: Watch for saliva noises, there are a few and the file starts with one. I think the friendliness the read is asking for is there, but if this is a “process” to follow, I would try going a little slower. Think of it as giving the person a chance to grab a pen and paper if they need, and then maintaining that so they can follow along.

Aetna: same comments on saliva and breaths. Pacing was a little inconsistent, it smoothed out better when you got to “That’s why Aetna” but you may still want to find a slightly slower speed and try it again for the whole piece.

Still a nice start to your VO career!

Gill
      Participant

Welcome!
      I agree with TimberTykes, but also wanted to add to be mindful of your diction when you say words like important and create just make sure they are clear and not cut short.

TimberTykes
      Participant

Hello! I really enjoy your voice! It’s comes off as sincere, and it really helps sell the ‘Aetna,’ and even the ‘Password-Reset’ recording flow-wise.

I really enjoyed the recordings, but I think the items you’re selling within the recordings could do with a little inflection- it helps us figure out what we’re supposed to be paying attention to! Also, with ‘Great style, great value…,’ try finding different ways to say ‘great,’ to keep things interesting.

JNMullett
    Participant

Hi Everyone, more practice reads for my demo training. Again, any feedback you would care to share is greatly appreciated.

Attachments:
      Teddpr
      Participant

The American Cancer Society sounded totally professional. You nailed it. I thought you were a little over the top with your emotion in describing the right side of the brain for the JC Penny commercial.

JNMullett
        Participant

Thank you for the feedback, I’ll watch out for that in the future!!

mir19800
      Participant

Great voice! I thought I was listening to a live TV commercial.

TimberTykes
    Participant

Good Evening!

I have another recording today. I wanted to record two times today, but there’s a lot of commotion outside. With that, the quality of this one may be a little… eh, so apologies in advance.

I’m trying to balance my cadence here, making sure my lines don’t sound too similar to another one, but I have a feeling I’m not quite getting it. If you have any feedback, it’s well appreciated!

Attachments:
    nicolance
    Participant

This is narration from non profit explainer – Guide Dogs for the Blind – do you feel spoken to or spoken at?
    Thanks for any feedback
    Lance

Attachments:
    nicolance
    Participant

Narration sample uploaded – DTS Tech medical explainer – how’s my diction?
    Thank you
    Lance

Attachments:
      Gill
      Participant

Hi Lance medical reads are tough. Your diction is great, proliferation sounded a little out of place .

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.