Feedback Forum

• Creator
    Topic
    David Goldberg
    Edge Studio Staff

The Edge Studio Feedback Forum is the best place for you to post a recording and get feedback from the community! Record in your home studio, upload the file, and see what people think. This is a great place to get some advice on your technique, on your home studio, or to ask for people’s opinion on your reads. Remember, that this is a community forum, so please remain positive and encourage your peers in helpful ways. If Edge Studio feels that a user is too negative, or antagonizing other members of the community, they will have their posts deleted, and risk being banned from further communication. 

Stay positive, listen to each other, and have fun!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
    Earthbul
    Participant

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
      TIm Sullivan
      Participant

I loved that read!

One thing that did stick our for me was your final “s” sounds. The “s” is held a little long (“made from fresh ingredients” “expert chefs”) for example.

But, the tone is great. I don’t even have a dog, and I’m thinking about ordering some of this food!

Angela Doyle
      Participant

That was awesome! My one nit was re: “Here’s how it works”. “Here’s” wasn’t quite as clear as I personally would have liked; it was dragged out a bit, but otherwise, I REALLY liked this!

TIm Sullivan
    Participant

Hi.

Here are a couple potential audition reads. I’d appreciate some feedback.

The “Thirst” piece is looking for a middle aged masculine, husky voice.

The GNH spot wants a friendly but authoritative voice.

Thanks in advance,

Tim

Attachments:
      Earthbul
      Participant

I think you hit it out of tbe part on both these reads. Both are very distinct types of reads which you managed to convey to this listener wonderfully.

Angela Doyle
      Participant

Thirst–I was expecting to hear a more lighthearted approach during “you’re not thinking about it at all”–just minding your own business, la dee dah, and then suddenly desperation in “until it’s all you can think about…brain screams…”, and then maybe a change in tone to a more factual one halfway through as you begin to describe the list of effects of dehydration (after a bit more of a pause to emphasize the switch).

GNH–you definitely hit the friendly but authoritative mark!

Nicely done.

TIm Sullivan
        Participant

Thank you, Angela.

That’s great feedback. I’ll incorporate it into my read!

Angela Doyle
          Participant

I’d love to hear an updated version here!

Frantz
    Participant

Hey everyone, first time posting on here! I’m here looking for feedback with my recordings, mainly with diction, speed, and flow as I feel like those are my main issues whenever I play back my stuff. If there’s anything else that you think I can improve on, please let me know. I’m also working on editing my audios as well (making sure its audible and lowering peaks/breaths, etc.), so feedback from that department would also be much appreciated.

Attachments:
      Angela Doyle
      Participant

I usually try not to read other people’s feedback before I post mine, but somehow read Tim’s first, but I totally agree with him on all of his points aside from clicking (I didn’t notice it). I do love the different sounds for the 2!

TIm Sullivan
      Participant

Hi.

I liked the very different tones for the two pieces.

For GrammarlyGo, be careful with the product name. You might want to slow it down to make sure it’s understood (they’d be the ones paying for the spot…). And, I did hear some mouth noise (clicking). I’ve been told hydration will help with that.

I loved the pacing for the Niagara Falls piece. But, be careful with pitch. It felt a little roller coaster-y. Pitch went up and down and up and down. I tend to do this sometimes, too.

Good reads. Good variety!

Emily Gauthier
    Participant

Hey everyone!

Back again with another couple of samples! I have two from the same read, just wanting to know which people prefer. I think I like 2 overall more, but if you could let me know why which one sounds better than the other i’d appreciate it! Thank you!

Attachments:
      Angela Doyle
      Participant

I like both takes, but I prefer the beginning of take #1 more than #2 because #2 sounds SUPER annoyed. I know it’s supposed to sound annoyed and frustrated, but it turned me off a bit since it was VERY annoyed. There was a bit too much attitude for me, especially “there’s gotta be one near ya”. Aside from that (and that’s just me, of course), nice read!

TIm Sullivan
      Participant

Nice reads. I also preferred #2 – a little more attitude in that one.

I’m not sure if this was a regional spot, if it isn’t be careful with pronunciation. “Fire alarms” really stuck out for this New England boy’s ears.

Also, I did hear a bit of mouth noise (clicking) toward the end of your reads. I know I have trouble with that, too.

Frantz
      Participant

Hey Emily!

First off, I must say that your takes were great! I can definitely picture myself hearing this in the background with the TV on or YouTube playing somewhere. I do like how both of them sound conversational and overall friendly, but I’d say that you have to be careful with the vocalizations scattered throughout both audios. I’ve been told that it’s only natural for us to do so because we’d like to appear like we’re engaging with the listener, but we also have to be conscious about the editing process as well since some people are not a fan of them.

As for my pick on which take sounds better, I’d have to choose 2 as well. Though they both sound very similar to me, I like 2’s flow better, especially with the last part where you’re listing what 7-11 has and when they’re open. Also, I do like the beginning part of 2 with the starving part but the fire alarm situation of 1 sounds better, since both feel like they’re more natural to me. So yes, 2 is overall better, hope this helps!

Angela Doyle
    Participant

Hello everyone. Here’s my homework for my next coaching session. I’d love to hear from you specifically as to whether you felt like I connected with you sufficiently. Other feedback (besides technical) is definitely welcome as well! Thank you.

Also, I’d like to hear what adjectives you’d use to describe my voice. Thanks so much!

Attachments:
      Frantz
      Participant

Hey Angela! Both of these were great takes! With the meditation audio, I’d say that you have the perfect voice to get into this part of the industry. It’s very comforting and safe, personal and warm. With regard to feeling like you connected with me, I’d say yes to that, 100%.

As for the Chase audio, I can definitely see your voice also fitting into this part of the industry as it’s very calm and in control. I’m not too sure what type of feel you were going for here, but to me, it felt rather impersonal and that it doesn’t have that human feel to it. Maybe a smile can help with that, just something that helps with making it feel like you’re engaging with the listener a bit more.

Hopefully these help! Have a good one!

Angela Doyle
        Participant

Thank you! My coach said the same thing about the Chase read about being a bit impersonal =)

• This reply was modified 9 months, 3 weeks ago by Angela Doyle.
      Emily Gauthier
      Participant

Hi Angela!

The first read was fantastic, I had a double-take as it took me right back to the professional ones i’ve heard over the years! Your voice seems very natural for meditation videos and audio, I would definitely put this as something in your wheelhouse! I would describe your voice here as calm, collected, and reassuring.

Chase IVR was nice, but I feel it needed to be slowed down more. It also felt a bit more robotic, which I understood is for phone service, but it could have used just a slight shift of personal comfort, if that makes sense. Coupled with the faster dialogue it felt more like you were reading the script than trying to make a pleasant experience for the person on the other line. I would describe your voice here as crisp, quick, and just a little samey.

I hope these help!

Angela Doyle
        Participant

Thank you! I REALLY feel like meditation reads are in my wheelhouse, so I’m glad to hear it worked for you! The Chase read–my coach said the same thing about being robotic/not as personal as it could be. =)

• This reply was modified 9 months, 3 weeks ago by Angela Doyle.
    Alexander Wright
    Participant

Trying out this gardening spot for my demo. It’s one of a couple that i connect with the script some. Anyway, would love to get feedback on tone, speed, pace, and anything you would like to recommend improving. Thank you!!!

Attachments:
      Angela Doyle
      Participant

I feel like a bit more excitement was in order. Your articulation was great, and I like your voice.

Grace Lee
      Participant

There seems to be an inconsistency in speed, as if it was sped up in the middle and then slowed down towards the end. I’m not sure if this version was the one you wanted to upload. You have a pleasant voice though~

ierxyzz
    Participant

Hi all, uploading these 2 reads before my upcoming coaching session. This is my first time using the De-Clicker tool, and I think it went well. Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Attachments:
      Alexander Wright
      Participant

Hello there, ‘
      The freshii bit was clean. i think it flowed really well start to finish. The risewell had different tones or levels to it. It did sound a little choppy in the middle. The recording quality is excellent…sounds clean.

Joseph Thompson
    Participant

Hi there, and thanks for taking the time to give me some feedback. I’m working on pacing, flow, and enunciation, so I’d appreciate any constructive criticism that’ll help me improve my technique. Thanks in advance.

Attachments:
      Alexander Wright
      Participant

in terms of pacing, the story-teller was slower than the medical script, maybe the pause in between sentences could be a little shorter, but the flow was consistent. THe medical script was a livelier tone and was definitely faster. “Access your patient records”…Access came out a little higher pitched, otherwise, the tone was consistent throughout. Hope that makes sense.

ierxyzz
      Participant

I like your flow! And I can understand your enunciation well. For Medical-script, “patient records and appointments” ran together a little bit for me. Maybe either slowing that part down a hair or changing the pitch a little more between them would help me process the information better. Great stuff!

Barndi
    Participant

Hello everyone! Trying out the recording studio (hope the sound quality is up to s***f) and rerecorded PURINA based on the feedback to be brighter and peppier. Not sure if enough. Also uploading BIG CATS as a way different read. Would appreciate any and all feedback – thank you!

Attachments:
      Alexander Wright
      Participant

I liked the Purina recording, especially the end. You can hear the smile. :). The only thing i noticed were inhales…I have some difficulty figuring out when to breathe during a read. Lol.

Stephen Winburn
    Participant

Hi all,

I’ve finally gotten around to doing the homework for my next coaching session! I decided to do the same script twice rather than two different ones; one focusing on being conversational at what i feel is a natural pace, and the other focusing on pace and tone specifically.
    My usual headset was on the fritz today so please excuse the sound quality in the recordings! Thank you in advance!

EDIT: I accidentally uploaded it 3 different times and can’t remove them🙃 just the first two files friends, apologies!

• This reply was modified 10 months, 3 weeks ago by Stephen Winburn. Reason: wrong file type
    • This reply was modified 10 months, 3 weeks ago by Stephen Winburn. Reason: wrong file type
    • This reply was modified 10 months, 3 weeks ago by Stephen Winburn.
    Attachments:
      Alexander Wright
      Participant

I liked the recording quality of fish part 2 better than part 1. To me part 1 sounded a little muffled and part 2 was a brighter tone. The flow was good in both recordings. Part2 did pick up more sound and towards the end it wasn’t as clear as the part 1.

Barndi
      Participant

I thought the pacing was great on all of them. Tone wise, and I don’t know if this is bc of the recording quality, but I like FISH-part-1.mp3 the best. It sounded more authentic than FISH-part-2.mp3 and other recordings like it. Hope this helps!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.