Feedback Forum

• Creator
    Topic
    David Goldberg
    Edge Studio Staff

The Edge Studio Feedback Forum is the best place for you to post a recording and get feedback from the community! Record in your home studio, upload the file, and see what people think. This is a great place to get some advice on your technique, on your home studio, or to ask for people’s opinion on your reads. Remember, that this is a community forum, so please remain positive and encourage your peers in helpful ways. If Edge Studio feels that a user is too negative, or antagonizing other members of the community, they will have their posts deleted, and risk being banned from further communication. 

Stay positive, listen to each other, and have fun!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
    JNardecchia
    Participant

Hello Forum!

Here are a couple reads, I’ve been working on warm/intimate/dry/raspy reads.

Thanks!

1.) When I was experiencing depression, I couldn’t get out of bed or focus on anything. My goals and dreams drifted away. I got my life back with the help of a support group of people who had been where I was. They helped me see that my life wasn’t limited. Visit support-helps-dot-org to learn more. We’ve been there. We can help.

2.) Bose home theater systems customize their sound to fit your room. Choosing anything less just doesn’t make sense.
    BOSE … better sound through research.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    jr.roop
    Participant

Hi Everyone, I’m uploading two commercial pieces. I chose them because I like the products. Although I’m not sure I came off very natural in them. Any feedback is appreciated. Thank you!

Attachments:
      Cheechman
      Participant

Need more excitement for Crayola.
      Sounds like you are reading right from the script.
      I don;t know if you read this a couple times to memorize but might want to try.

TimberTykes
    Participant

Good Evening!

Working on yet another recording. I have a feeling I’ve done this one already, but… I like DQ, and my birthday’s next week, so hey, lol.

I don’t have a specific focus tonight, other than the usual- beginning/middle/end, conversational feeling (I kinda have the feeling that the ending doesn’t mesh well with this, but merely my opinion), etc.

Feedback and criticisms of any kind are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Attachments:
    Gill
    Participant

Hi Everyone!
    Would love your feedback I’m working on pauses. Thanks!

Attachments:
      Elise Duke
      Participant

Hi Gill! I agree with Lance in that I didn’t hear any odd or out of place pauses – great job! I loved the overall tone of Clorox – informative, playful and convinces me to want to buy some Clorox wipes!

I also echo Lance’s comment about the Harvey read. I think you can add some changes in your tone to give it a more playful vibe (like the Clorox read). Great work!

nicolance
      Participant

Hi Gill – wonderful friendly and conversational reads – but I am not sure what you mean about pauses . . .do you mean in the editing? Otherwise, pauses all seemed natural and not out of place. I think the Harvey spot might have benefited from a little more attitude, especially with the line “now if only he could work the microwave” – Keep up the good work. Lance

Gill
        Participant

Thanks Lance 🙂

smarlowe
    Participant

Hello everyone,

Here are two samples for feedback. I’m specifically concerned about sound quality and pacing, but I’d be appreciative of any feedback on any aspect of the samples. Thanks! 🙂

Attachments:
      JoyceVOA
      Participant

HOP – Hi. I thought you started off well but then got choppy towards the middle. You started to sound more robotic and less conversational. After another listen, I heard emotion in the beginning then you lost it around “This unique”. You seemed to drag out read and reading. Overall I really like your voice. Perfect for the genre.

JAE Factor
      Participant

Hello smarlowe, my feedback for your reads is below:

1. Hooked on Phonics – The pacing here was pretty good and the sound quality was clear as well. The only feedback on this one I have is editing out the breaths such as the part, “a few times a week.” Also, at the end when you said “read,” I would emphasize it, but stress it less (seems like you dragged it out a bit). Otherwise, I liked this read!

2. Anxiety PSA – I wasn’t clear what angle you were going for, but I got the impression this was an ominous internal conversation. Is this one supposed to be narration or a commercial? Sorry, I might be missing something here.

JAE Factor
    Participant

This is a practice sample that I recorded this morning. Please let me know what you think: the good, the bad, and the u**y!

Attachments:
      Cheechman
      Participant

Integral was pronounced great. I say it that way too.
      Great voice.
      Would work on hiliting the correct words a little.
      Maybe try to read it several different ways and listen to all to find the right one.

Overall great read!

smarlowe
      Participant

I thought it sounded great! Side note- I think “integral” was mispronounced –IN tuh grahl as opposed to in TAY grahl. Your “our” was spot on though (I always have trouble with that one) Otherwise I really enjoyed it. Your voice and cadence was clear, warm, and engaging.

nicolance
    Participant

Hi again – Real Estate explainer – did it sound like I was having a conversation with you specifically? Please provide any and all feedback – Thanks! Lance

Attachments:
      JoyceVOA
      Participant

Yes! I want to go on this journey with you. You sounded very conversational. You sound like you care about me. Very warm and inviting.

smarlowe
      Participant

nice! You had a nice down to earth kind of sound, and I liked that you varied your pace at the end.

JoyceVOA
    Participant

Hi everyone! I would really appreciate your feedback on these samples. If you could please provide feedback on any/all of these items, that would be very helpful: my overall tone, cadence, pronunciations, pace and if my readings sound conversational. Hopefully this recording is glitch free. Thank you!!

Attachments:
      smarlowe
      Participant

I appreciated the variation of your vocal pitch. That’s something I struggle with. I thought the overall tone was pretty natural, like someone I’d like to shoot the breeze with.

DillonP
      Participant

Good it still sounds good, although I believe that hear a little studder in the middle, and should keep your words consistent and put more emotion into your read. other than that I think you did a pretty good job. Keep at it.

JAE Factor
      Participant

Hello Joyce, you have a great voice for commercials! As you continue training you’ll hone and sharpen the style of your voice; you sound amazing.

That said, I do agree that you want to sound more conversational. What I do is try to imagine who I would be sharing this with and keep that in mind as I deliver to make it sound more conversational. Also, you have some breaths at the beginning of each sentence and the ends that you’ll want to edit out to ensure the audio is cleaner.

Otherwise, keep working at it and you’ll do great!

nicolance
      Participant

Hi Joyce – your tone is so friendly and warm. To sound more conversational, perhaps think of someone you are telling this wonderful info to . . .and picture them and talk to them while you read the copy. I do this a lot – you could even have a lead-in (that you would edit out, of course) . . .perhaps you are talking to your daughter about her dry skin. “Sharon, your skin is so dry, have you heard about Dove?”

JAE Factor
    Participant

Hello All,

Just looking for some feedback on this practice read. Thanks! The script is below for reference.

2012 Extinction – 2

The Maya, an ancient South American culture, predicted that time would end in a violent apocalypse on December 21, 2012. They created an elaborate astronomical calendar called “The Long Count,” which stops abruptly in 2012. This date, which is also the winter equinox, coincides with an incredibly rare galactic alignment that happens once every 26,000 years. What did the Mayans think would happen when their calendar ended? And were they joined by other cultures–from different parts of the world and in different centuries–all pointing to 2012 as a calamitous end time?

The Hopi Indians and Eastern Hindu share similar calendars, which are remarkably synchronous. One counter-culture mystic even uses an Ancient Chinese philosophy to unlock the key to a 2012 prophecy. Nostradamus himself suggests the world is headed toward a coming cataclysm. What can we do to head the warning of the Mayan apocalypse?

Attachments:
    Unity
    Participant

Appreciate the feedback SuperLuke. Many Thanks.

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.