Feedback Forum

• Creator
    Topic
    David Goldberg
    Edge Studio Staff

The Edge Studio Feedback Forum is the best place for you to post a recording and get feedback from the community! Record in your home studio, upload the file, and see what people think. This is a great place to get some advice on your technique, on your home studio, or to ask for people’s opinion on your reads. Remember, that this is a community forum, so please remain positive and encourage your peers in helpful ways. If Edge Studio feels that a user is too negative, or antagonizing other members of the community, they will have their posts deleted, and risk being banned from further communication. 

Stay positive, listen to each other, and have fun!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
    BethanScreen
    Participant

Hello!

I’m in a new recording space so I’m mostly looking for feedback on recording sound and quality.

Let me know what you think.

Thank you so much for your help!

Bethan

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
      irvj
      Participant

Loved your voice! I thought the recording sounded clean. I wish I could have heard something from your previous recording space as a comparison.

Beckolin
      Participant

Hi Bethan! I’m very new to this field (these are, in fact, my first words written in this forum) but thought I would chime in. I don’t know what your previous space sounded like–it would be interesting to hear a recording from your old set-up–but this sounds very clean and clear to me. I hear nothing in the spaces when you are not speaking that would be a distraction, and you have a lovely speaking voice. I imagine that to get the most effective feedback, somebody would need to be able to do a before/after comparison and run your recording through an equalizer to make sure all registers are well represented. But to my ear, you sound great 😉

SuperLuke
        Participant

Hi there BethanScreen, I really enjoyed the recording quality and the performance was great. The accent made the commercial very interesting to listen to. Although there was no script to follow along with. I listened to it 4 times, to hear what you were saying and because I liked what I heard. Very nice voice.

whataboutsmee
    Participant

Practicing sounding calmer, more inviting, and retrospective. Mostly just trying to focus on more effectively conveying non-humor emotions in my voice. Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Script:

Things that never get old; enjoying the warm crackle of a fire under a clear sky full of stars. Stepping out of your tent in the morning and taking a deep breath of fresh cool, air. And that first sip of the perfect cup of coffee to start your day. Gevalia Coffee – Discover your perfect cup.

Attachments:
      kfvoice
      Participant

You do sound calm and retrospective here. Make sure the ‘s’ on stars is pronounced clearer. I do hear a little background noise, however, I am sure you have that solved by now.

SuperLuke
      Participant

Great performance regarding the coffee. But I hear a humming sound in the background when you’re not speaking. Please look into that and you’ll be all set

• This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by SuperLuke.
    SuperLuke
    Participant

So far, it sounds like a good commercial. Your voice sounded serious for a serious cause. Good recording quality and performance.

CYeschenko
    Participant

Continued practice! Working on a more serious PSA than my usual humor filled copy, so any comments focused on performance would be especially appreciated. Thanks!

National Flood Insurance Program

Wherever it can rain, it can flood. And where it can flood, damage to homes and businesses is a serious risk. Last year, flooding was reported in all 50 states, including many areas not usually considered to be prone to flooding. More than a third of all flood insurance claims came from those lower-risk areas. The best way to keep a heavy rain from becoming a financial disaster is to get flood insurance backed by FEMAS’s National Flood Insurance Program. Visit FloodSmart.gov/info to assess your level of flood risk, estimate your premium, learn about low-cost policy options, and find an agent in your area.

Attachments:
    isabrandon30
    Participant

<h5 class=”title”>A Philosophy of Life</h5>
    <div class=”content”>

A man with one watch knows what time it is;
    a man with two watches is never quite sure.

Don’t look where you fall,
    but where you slipped.

Look at life through the windshield,
    not the rear view mirror.

Nothing brings you peace but yourself.

People may doubt what you say
    but they will believe what you do.

Bee nice to people on your way up
    because you’ll need them on your way down.

The time you enjoyed wasting
    was not wasted.

Never explain.
    Your friends do not need it
    and your enemies will not believe it.

While seeking revenge,
    dig two graves – one for yourself.

Courage is not the lack of fear,
    but the ability to act while facing fear.

You’ve got to do your own growing
    no matter how tall your father was.

The best way to predict your future
    is to create it.

It is better to be hated for what you are
    than to be loved for what you are not.

Don’t worry about the people in your past
    there’s a reason they didn’t make it to your future.

Happiness has one advantage over wealth;
    no one can borrow it.

Everything happens for a reason.

Forgiveness is not something we do for other people
    We do it for ourselves-to get well and move on.

What’s different in you makes you beautiful.

Contributed by Richurd

</div>

Attachments:
      SuperLuke
      Participant

Great performance and recording quality! I say that you nailed it right on the money! It really meant a lot to me as I read along and listened to your performance delivery. It’s very touching, I could tell you were giving it your all “being in the moment”

SuperLuke
    Participant

Hi Katelyn,

I really enjoyed your performance, you have a great voice. Good recording quality too. As a commercial read, it may be important when you say, “We prefer a glass”, to emphasize the importance of a glass of wine. But other than that, you did an excellent job!

katelyndawnvo
    Participant

<div class=”container”>

Beringer Wine

Some might choose a lecture or a documentary film to tell the story of 125 years of winemaking. We prefer a glass. At Beringer, we are proud to be the only winery ever to win Wine Spectator’s “Number-1 Wine of the Year” for both a cabernet and a chardonnay. But our greatest achievement lies in knowing that everything we’ve learned is yours to enjoy – each time you pour a glass of our wine. Beringer…All we are in every bottle.

</div>

Attachments:
      kfvoice
      Participant

Really nice! Sounds great! A warm and calm delivery — that’s how wine makes us feel! Right!?

My only critique is the “gasp” at the beginning of your opening line. Other than that, good job!

bergtravis
      Participant

Only critique I would have would be when saying hundred it comes out a little bit like hunderd. I definitely have that problem a lot. Sounds great!

katelyndawnvo
        Participant

Lol you’re so right… HUNDERED!!!

GJS
      Participant

Sounds really good! Actually, I would echo Superluke on the “We prefer a glass,” line. Very nice, I’m ready for some Beringer!

JDonaldson
        Participant

Be careful with are and our. Can k**l the ownership tag.

SuperLuke
    Participant

JTLeyba, good afternoon. I really enjoyed the commercial ad for the Caribou coffee. I enjoyed the background music as well. Your beginning was perfect as you gave a convincing “ah coffee, the drink of life” made the audience get the feel for how good coffee is. Very relatable as the commercial read continued. Keep up the great work

SuperLuke
    Participant

I have two computers. This is my Mac. I was using Audacity when I made this. Feedback is appreciated.

Attachments:
      isabrandon30
      Participant

Great job getting into character!  I was worried at first when I heard the voice because I thought it might not be clear; but each word was nice and clear.  I really like that breathy quality to the voice initially.  Maybe see if you can hold on to it all the way to the last words?  Keep doing great things!

JTLeyba
    Participant

Looking to make a realistic sounding ad spot for my Demo Reel. I’ve been told I have a young sounding voice so maybe college student products might be the way to go for me. Any feedback or constructive criticism is helpful and appreciated.

Attachments:
      CYeschenko
      Participant

Very nice! The casual, conversational feel and subtle humor shines through, and you’re right on track with branding in my opinion- college aged roles would suit your voice well. One note to keep in mind- it came in at around 36 seconds, so if you were submitting for a 30 second commercial you would have to pace it a bit quicker than on your current read. Great job overall though!

JTLeyba
        Participant

Thanks a lot! Will keep that in mind!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.