Feedback Forum

• Creator
    Topic
    David Goldberg
    Edge Studio Staff

The Edge Studio Feedback Forum is the best place for you to post a recording and get feedback from the community! Record in your home studio, upload the file, and see what people think. This is a great place to get some advice on your technique, on your home studio, or to ask for people’s opinion on your reads. Remember, that this is a community forum, so please remain positive and encourage your peers in helpful ways. If Edge Studio feels that a user is too negative, or antagonizing other members of the community, they will have their posts deleted, and risk being banned from further communication. 

Stay positive, listen to each other, and have fun!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
    maxspitz
    Participant

Hey Y’all!

Below are 2 reads for my 1st session HW. Comments and feedback of any kind would be awesome and super appreciated! Would love to hear what you have to say.

Thank you!
    Max

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
      maxspitz
      Participant

Thanks so much for your feedback!! Listening again I definitely hear what both of you are saying about Mr. Coffee needing more smile and warmth. I’ll be sure to work on that!

Hi Max,

On Mr. Coffee, I think your timing is great and as Alexandra said, adding a smile is in the right direction. It needs a little warmth. That just-up-in-the-morning-and-here’s-that-beautiful-cup-of-coffee-that-is-going-to-be-your-salvation-for-the-day kind of warmth.

Staples sounds pretty spot on.

Alexandra Potocka
      Participant

I think you’re on the right track! I personally would add a little “smile” to my reads.

bnielsen15
    Participant

Hi everyone! Below is my second session’s homework. Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated!

American Express:
    Do you know me? Probably not. In my business, recognition is always important, but when I’m buying goods online I prefer a little privacy. With Private Payments from American Express, I get the security of a unique number created for each business transaction I make. Because my private information is my business.

Special K: Putting strawberries in cereal wasn’t our idea. Putting them in the box was. With slices of real strawberries and crunchy sweet flakes, looking good never tasted so good. Special K Red Berries.

IPhone 4: It’s the end of the day. And you missed it. Where did those hours go? Get in the driver’s seat and capture your life with the iPhone 4s – the fastest, most powerful smartphone on the market. Voice activation, video, and much more. In stores now.

Attachments:
      Alexandra Potocka
      Participant

Hi there! So you have a great voice, with lots of potential. My advice to you, which I got when I first started..is that you really have to feel the script, rather than just read it. It was your idea to put the strawberries in the box.. Be proud of that!! Crunchy flakes…imagine you’re eating them right now and they’re the best thing you’ve ever tasted… Keep going with it! You’ll get there!

Esandyii
    Participant

VO Homework for Art Bruder.
    Many thanks to those that have left previous comments.
    ES

Attachments:
    Don Sack
    Participant

Greetings!
    Submitting three scripts for my fifth and last(?) coaching session with Art.

Attachments:
      Alexandra Potocka
      Participant

Hi there!
      What an amazing voice you have!! For the Nike commerical, try slowing it down. Imagine visuals between each thing you say reinforcing your statement..

ColtonJLong
    Participant

Howdy everyone!

Another homework set for Mr. Bruder!
    Three scripts this time!

BUTTERBALL
    Butterball brings you the joys of turkey day. Friends and family drop in to bask in the warmth of the season. Celebrate this summer with Butterball turkey on the grill. Tender, juicy, surprisingly simple. HAPPY THANKSGRILLING from Butterball.

GEICO DIRECT
    These days, it seems as if every car insurance company needs a symbol. Things like a blanket or a hand. Well, if Geico had a symbol, it would surely be the frontal lobe of the cerebral cortex. You see…it’s here, deep within the brain, that nerve impulses figure out, “Hey…it’s smarter to buy car insurance from GEICO.” Over 10,000 drivers switch each week! So call for a free rate quote today. Yep, the brain’s a great symbol. We just can’t imagine the medulla oblongata on our stationary. Call 1-800-4-GEICO. GEICO Direct, the sensible alternative. Not available in
    New Jersey or Massachusetts.

CARNATION
    Kids can change minds. They can even change the world around us. Packed with protein plus 21 vitamins and minerals, we nourish them with Carnation Breakfast Essentials. Because today could change everything.

Attachments:
      Don Sack
      Participant

Hey Colton!
      I like these! Other than the oops pronunciations at the end of Geico, I do really like them. At first I thought you could sound a bit more excited but then I thought that this is your style and it works for me!
      Rock On!

ColtonJLong
        Participant

Oh dang, I knew I had an “oops” at the end of Geico, but I rerecorded the line! I must have clipped the wrong part! Shoot. Well, thank you very much for your feedback!

naderaliamer
    Participant

This is going to be the third time I’m trying to post in this forum. Let’s hope it works out this time.

Hello again everyone. Officially posting my full homework assignment. There’s natural, slight monotony to my voice that I’m trying to train out. Otherwise, I’m looking for any an all feedback.

I did try to post yesterday. Hopefully, this doesn’t become double posted.

Thanks in advance for helping this newbie out!

Attachments:

I love that each read sounded different – especially between the Cosmos and Financial Engines. Great job, I think you have a very pleasant voice and a nice timbre. One thing I am told frequently and I think I am starting to hear it in others is try with a little more smile and energy – warm it up some. On Planet Earth, perhaps a little faster as well. It feels more relaxing than I would expect.

Don Sack
      Participant

Hey Nader!
      Outstanding! Great voice and great variations in each script! Edit breath sounds?
      Rock On!

naderaliamer
        Participant

Thanks Don! I’m still new to editing and I’m learning as I go.

Shaun Cruz
    Participant

Hello All! This is my second submission on here, I appreciate all feedback. Thanks!

PLANET EARTH: Welcome to the planet earth. A place of blue nitrogen skies, oceans of liquid water, cool forests, soft meadows; A world positively rippling with life. From the cosmic perspective, it is, for the moment, unique. The only world on which we know with certainty that the matter of the cosmos has become alive, and aware. There must be many such worlds scattered through space, but our search for them begins here, with the accumulated wisdom of the men and women of our species, acquired at great cost, over a million years.

PROSPECTOR: Howdy folks, Clem the old prospector here to tell you how you can strike it rich, and you don’t even need a pick and shovel, all you need is a new Quick Pick from the Nebraska Lottery. With 6 chances to win, odds are you’ll do better than me diggin’ in this old mountain here.
    The new Quick Pick, from the Nebraska Lottery.

SOLAR SYSTEM: Today we’re going to explore all of the planets in our solar system and some other places as well. We’ll travel into the future when astronauts live throughout the solar system. On each world we’ll see what the weather is like, what we would wear, and what we would do to have fun! Grab your oxygen, put on your seatbelt, and let’s blast off!

Attachments:
      suecat
      Participant

Hey, Loved your rendition of prospector and solar! I was ready to get that quick pick, grab my oxygen, put on my seatbelt and blast off! Yeah! But planet earth, had me scared! If that was the intent, Great Job! Keep it up!

Shaun Cruz
        Participant

Hi Sue,

Thanks so much for the feedback I appreciate it… Thank you for listening!!

Alexandra Potocka
        Participant

Hi! For the Solar narration…
        Try putting emphasis on the word ” explore” instead of “we’re” and “system” in “solar system”. So it’s not SOLAR system but rather “solar SYSTEM”. Sorry, kinda hard to explain through writing. I think you nailed it on the 2nd half of the script. Great job!

Shaun Cruz
          Participant

Hi Alexandra,

Thanks for the great feedback, definitely taking notes on it.

Thank You for listening!

smith_voice
    Participant

Greetings- Just completed recording my first commercial scripts…any feedback would be welcome…

• This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by smith_voice.
    Attachments:
      suecat
      Participant

Hey, I thought your tone, pitch and volume were spot on — your tempo went just a tad too fast. I didn’t get the feeling that you were speaking directly to one person. As my coach says, find the person, and why you’re giving them the information. Overall, good job!

suecat
    Participant

Hello,
    Still looking for feedback on narration reads. Thanks!

J**k the hero Dog
    When the littlest dog in the litter
    Takes the biggest journey in Africa
    He will make new friends
    Face new challenges
    And find his destiny.

Congaree National Park narration
    IT IS A PLACE OF CONSTANT CHANGE. OF WOOD AND WATER, SUNLIGHT AND SHADE. THIS IS CONGAREE NATIONAL PARK.
    NOT FAR FROM SOUTH CAROLINA’S STATE CAPITOL, THIS MAJESTIC WILDERNESS OF TOWERING TREES IS A SANCTUARY. FOR WILDLIFE… FOR CHAMPION TREES… FOR VISITORS FROM AROUND THE WORLD.
    DAY BY DAY, SEASON BY SEASON, THIS FLOODPLAIN FOREST CHANGES–SHAPED AND RESHAPED BY WATER. A NEW PLACE TO EXPLORE…EACH TIME YOU RETURN..

Attachments:
      Alexandra Potocka
      Participant

Hi there!
      Great job! Try focusing on different words in your script to get different emphasis. Play around with the script and see how when you accent different words, it sounds completely different. For example, for the hero dog.. Try emphasizing the words littlest, biggest, and new.. So BIGGEST journey, and NEW friends, face NEW challenges etc…… Hope this helps!

suecat
        Participant

Alexandra, thank you so much for listening and giving feedback. Yes! All suggestions are a great help! I will play with emphasizing different words in other reads. Much appreciated.

Don Sack
      Participant

Hey Sue!
      Great pipes! Very Soothing! Thinking…..pop filter? back off the mic? I don’t know, I just here a lot of “mouth noises” if you know what I mean; I have a same issue in that if one slows down a bit the clarity of enunciation is better?
      Rock On!

suecat
        Participant

Oh Don!!! Thank you so much! I will certainly back off the mic, because I used the pop filter, so I must have been just too close! I’ll work on slowing it down! I appreciate you listening and giving feedback!

RoxyMel
    Participant

I would appreciate any feedback. Thank you!

Attachments:
      1stassi
      Participant

Hi Roxy!!

On Hello User I kind of wanted your voice to be a little bit more upbeat but soothing at the same time. Not sure if that makes sense. The recording sounded a little too sleepy but it could’ve just used a little more tune to get me more interested into wanting to reset my password. Hope this makes sense.

RoxyMel
        Participant

Thank you so much, I will try it out. Much appreciated! 😉

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.