Feedback Forum

• Creator
    Topic
    David Goldberg
    Edge Studio Staff

The Edge Studio Feedback Forum is the best place for you to post a recording and get feedback from the community! Record in your home studio, upload the file, and see what people think. This is a great place to get some advice on your technique, on your home studio, or to ask for people’s opinion on your reads. Remember, that this is a community forum, so please remain positive and encourage your peers in helpful ways. If Edge Studio feels that a user is too negative, or antagonizing other members of the community, they will have their posts deleted, and risk being banned from further communication. 

Stay positive, listen to each other, and have fun!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
    jessnh4
    Participant

Hi all!

I’m creating a profile on an audition website that asks for a sample recording using this script:

Introducing SerenityApp, the mobile game that helps you sleep better and makes it easier to meditate. This app uses patent-pending meditation technology that combines the habit-forming aspects of playing video games and scientific sleep research insights. Curious to know more? Just stay tuned for our latest updates.

I thought I’d get some feedback and suggestions before I upload it. Does it have the right energy and tone? Any issues with pronunciation, pacing, or anything else that you notice?

Thanks!

Edit: Accidentally uploaded twice and couldn’t remove one. But FYI they’re both the same!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
      brucem
      Participant

Hi Jess, I liked your tone and the pace was nice and relaxed. I have a couple of suggestions. In the first sentence, I hear an emphasis on the word “app” and I think it would be clearer to the listener to put more emphasis on “Serenity” the name of the app. Also at the five and fourteen second marks I hear the conjunction “and” getting emphasized more than items around it. “sleep better AND makes it easier to meditate”. I would put more emphasis on “easier” and less on “and”. I’ve been admonished for emphasizing “and” a few times so I’ve become more conscious when I hear others do it. Overall, a good job.

jessnh4
        Participant

Thank you! This is really helpful.

Shmuel
      Participant

Hi Jess,
      Technically, the sound is good, I heard no background noise. Your space sounds good to me.
      This is an app that helps people sleep, but your voice is so full of energy at the beginning, that I woke up. You need to calm this down a bit from your natural energy.
      BTW, your voice would work great with other things that need energy, like cutesy commercials for sports, family, pets, holidays, things like that.
      Wish you success!

jessnh4
        Participant

Thanks, Shmuel! I’ll keep these things in mind!

Alexandra Potocka
    Participant

Hello everyone!
    Some of these scripts were really challenging for me so I’d love to get some peer feedback. Any advice on where to improve would be awesome. Thx in advance.

Attachments:
      jphilippitheactor
      Participant

Hi Alexandra,
      Love the Sugar one, you can hear your excitement and emotions in the words, fantastic! The drugs one was ok, one-note, and just a suggestion: try it using a lower part of your register, and see how it feels.

I liked the Billionaire one, it came off as funny! Not sure if it was supposed to be funny, kind of like a sassy, fun, smart newsreporter.

jessnh4
      Participant

The Sugar recording actually did make me want dessert! I really love your voice and it was convincing in each script. The only note I have is about pacing. In the Sugar recording the pacing sounded good but when you list the different forms of sugar it seemed a bit too slow compared to the rest of the read. The other two recordings also sounded great overall but were a little fast in spots causing some words to run together.

Alexandra Potocka
        Participant

thank you so much for your feedback! I will definitely revise my pacing and pay more attention to it. THX!!
        A.

dvnblnt
    Participant

Hi everyone! I really appreciated the helpful feedback everyone gave last time and thought, maybe y’all could help me refine this one!

Acorns: This is you – rounding up your change. This is you – investing in stocks. And this is you – saving for your kiddo. With Acorns, invest your spare change. Use the app or your card to round up your transactions. Or invest whatever you have whenever you want – even as little as 5 bucks! This is Acorns, helping you save and invest for your future. Download the Acorns app today.

Thanks a million,
    Dee

Attachments:
      jessnh4
      Participant

Hi Dee! I co-sign with Alexandra, you have a great voice! The first few lines could sound more conversational–a challenge since the actual script is structured in a weird way with the hyphens. One other note is the overall volume of your recording is very quiet. I have a quiet voice and I’ve found that using the normalizing effect in my recording software (I use Audacity) really helps with this!

Alexandra Potocka
      Participant

Hi there! I really like your voice. You’re articulate and clear. Here are my thoughts.. the first few lines you could sound more conversational, and a little happier. Imagine your character doing different things for each version of you..
      I think my overall message is to sound a little happier/excited about what you’re selling!

TimDKietzman
    Participant

Hello everyone. It’s been awhile, but I’ve just joined some new pay-to-play sites. I need some new feedback on my performance skills and recording setup, especially regarding “auditioning.” What are your thoughts on these two Voiceovers? One is commercial, one is narration, would you say I nailed an audition? Any feedback is appreciated.

Montgomery Ward (commercial)
    This weekend at Montgomery Ward, it’s our Red Tag Sale and Clearance with great savings throughout the store! In “Electric Avenue” all appliances are on sale, plus save up to three hundred dollars on selected electronics. In “Rooms and More”, furniture is on sale, plus take an extra ten per cent off, even on sale prices. And in “Auto Express”, you’ll find great values during our Any-Size, One-Price Tire Sale.

Pan Am Interactive (narration)
    It’s always the right time to fly Pan Am. And to assure a perfect trip, Pan Am has prepared this program to offer you important facts and helpful information, along with tips for travelers. Just click “start” for practical information. 50 years have passed since Pan Am established itself as a national carrier, and Pan Am has come a long way since then. It has matured into an international airline, serving thousands of destinations. Since its inception, Pan Am has served as a steadfast air bridge between Asia and the world.

Attachments:
    CHRISTOPHER WHITING
    Participant

Hey gang,
    Here’s my latest practice for Commercial. I’d love to get your feedback.

Thanks,
    Chris

Freshii
    At Freshii you can customize your entree and be your own culinary master. So what’s in your custom bowl? Tex Mex with black beans and a little salsa fresca? Teriyaki twist with a pop of pineapple? Whatever your fresh idea, get any 2 bowls for just $12.99! Freshii – Eat. Energize!

Infiniti QX50
    The 2019 Infiniti QX50…luxury should be lived in…lease the all new Infiniti QX50 for 379 a month…Infiniti…Empower the Drive

Excedrin
    Headaches. We all get them. We all wish they would go away. There is a solution. Excedrin. I just take two and there’s no more tension, no more throbbing, no more pain. My headache is completely gone.

Attachments:
      Alexandra Potocka
      Participant

Hey! You sound great! I agree with Tim. I think that in the excedrin one (for example)… a little authenticity is lacking. I guess it’s kind of repeating the same thing. Try sounding genuinely relieved your headache is gone. Maybe even a little surprised and amazed in that last sentence!
      But overall you sound great! It’s just to set you apart from the crowd..

TimDKietzman
      Participant

Well man, you have a great voice and I think you hit all the right words for each of these recordings. What’s more you nailed the tone and spoke every word properly. However, your overall performance came out as “announcer” rather than conversational. Also, you were talking much too fast and sounded too eager to get through the script. I suggest you pretend you’re talking to one person instead of a crowd and just relax. I hope this helps.

CHRISTOPHER WHITING
        Participant

Thanks very much for taking the time to listen. I greatly appreciate the feedback and the tip about envisioning talking to one person. I’m trying to work on turning down the announcer-y-ness of my delivery and will continue to work on it.

touzet
    Participant

Sometimes…you just feel like doing a truck spot.

Attachments:
      TimDKietzman
      Participant

Your deep and powerful voice is a perfect fit for truck spots. You sound so confident and friendly, which I’m sure is what everyone would want to hear when considering a good truck. However, I’m not a big fan of how many times you paused. It almost sounded like you were doing it mid-sentence and that’s something we all ought to avoid in performing commercials. All in all though, stellar performance.

touzet
        Participant

Hi Tim, Thanks for giving this a listen. Much appreciated. Thought I would post the script as there were a lot of enforced pauses built in. (see the elipses). Perhaps I gave them a little too much time ?

The Chevy Silverado Trail Boss
        When you have a two inch lift…
        When you have Goodyear Duratrack tires…
        When you have Rancho shocks…and an integrated dual exhaust…
        When you have all that…
        The last thing you’ll need…is a road…
        The Chevy Silverado Trail Boss…
        Ready to off-road…right from the factory.
        Chevy….find new roads…

lucydeller
    Participant

Hello! this is my first time posting on the feedback forum!

I’m in sessions for Commercial/Narration and was instructed to post a couple recordings for feedback. I’ve been focusing on: pitch lift and flow, emphasis and de-emphasis, volume consistency and eliminating my slight accent in some words.

Always Multipax and Horror are from the script library, Google and Tampax are ones I’ve been working on in my sessions. Let me know what you think and thank you in advance 🙂

NARRATION – HORROR
    Take a trip back to a time when late night creature features were all the rage and the personalities that presented them were just as popular as the movies.
    Beginning in the 1950s, the horror fest was a staple of regional television. From ghouls to vampires – to werewolves and crypt keepers – every host had a persona to suit their unique personalities.

NARRATION – GOOGLE
    Every day, billions of people come here with questions. About all kinds of things.
    Sometimes we even get questions about Google Search itself. Like, how this whole
    thing actually works. And, while this is a subject entire books have been written about,
    there’s a good chance you’re in the market for something a little more concise.

COMMERCIAL – TAMPAX
    Looking for incredible protection on the go? Tampax Pocket Pearl tampons have got
    your back! Its built-in backup braid helps stop leaks by channeling them back into the
    core, protecting you in a way no other t****n does.

COMMERCIAL – ALWAYS MULTIPAX
    Listen. Your period comes every month. But it changes every day. That’s why ALWAYS designed new MULTIPAX. Three levels of protection in one smart box. So no matter what, you’ve got the right protection. ALWAYS MULTIPAX.

Attachments:
      TimDKietzman
      Participant

Your voice is delightful and I think you are definitely on the right track regarding pitch lift and flow, volume consistency, and I didn’t hear any accent. You also have a great recording setup. However, I do think each one fell short in some way so I will list them.
      HorrorFest – You’re talking much too fast. One thing to keep in mind regarding narration: People intently listen to these kinds of voiceovers so you need to speak in a tempo that allows them to take in the information.
      Google – You’re not talking quite as fast, but I would still slow down and relax.
      Tampax – Now this sounds like a commercial, your speed is very suitable and you hit all the right words. Even so, I would work on being more relaxed and casual, rushing through a script is often tempting, but it can be avoided.
      AlwaysMultipax – I got nothing… This was FANTASTIC!

Renita
      Participant

First, I’d like to commend you for the courage to put yourself out there. This is how we grow. 🙂

I like your friendly tone. I’m not sure of the order in which you recorded the VO’s, but as I listened to each recording, your voice sounded more natural and had more inflection that captured my attention more.

One recommendation I would offer is to emphasize the name of the product so it stands out a little from the rest of the text.

Keep up the good work!
      — Renita —

jackjacknovak
    Participant

Here’s some homework reads!

Upstart:
    Welcome back everyone. In this next segment, we’re going to be looking at the evolution of our selling methodology. Like we said before, UpStart’s target demographic is millennials, and how they want to be sold to is unlike any generation before them.
    In fact, many of you may be millennials, or be just like millennials yourselves – and that’s why you’re a good fit for this job. You’re the kind of consumer who is checking online reviews, looking at a company’s Instagram, Facebook and Snapchat, and really buying into a company’s branding and ethos before you’re ‘sold.’

California:
    It’s easy to understand why the United States went to war to get California. A land full of wonders, where one man’s chance discovery triggered a mad rush for gold. And where a new generation of marijuana growers is testing the limits of the law. Full of ancient forests and volcanic forms and a valley that’s also the hottest place on earth. Join us as we visit the Golden State of California.

Social Security:
    Whether you’re young or old, male or female, single or with a family – this video is for and about you. That’s because Social Security has programs that affect everybody. This presentation was prepared by the Social Security Administration and tells you what you need to know about Social Security while still working and what you need to know when it’s your turn to collect benefits. It also provides an overview of Medicare and Supplemental Security Income benefits.

Attachments:
      Renita
      Participant

Nice job!

I love the tone of your voice; rich and natural. I also like the inflection in your voice the nice steady pace of the read.

I have no recommendations for improvement. However, It would be nice to hear a read that shows a little variety in your presentation as these three reads sounded relatively the same.

Keep up the good work!
      — Renita —

Swkeys
    Participant

Hi All,

Here are my second takes on the two commercial I submitted previously for homework. I tried to take the advice given. Please offer feedback where you see fit.

Thanks,
    SWK

Invisalign
    Your smile says you’re happy, confident. But, if you’re uncomfortable with your teeth, your smile could be saying just the opposite. Fortunately, there’s Invisalign. The clear alternative to braces that’s comfortable and removable for eating and brushing. Straighten your teeth little by little until a new smile emerges. Join the millions at Invisalign.com and arrange a free, no obligation consultation with an experienced Invisalign provider and let the world see the real you. Invisalign. Learn how to smile again.

1-800-Collect
    Still dialing zero to call people collect? Stop! It’s expensive. Instead, dial 1-800-COLLECT. Dialing 1-800-COLLECT instead of zero, saves the people you call up to 44%. Just dial 1-800-COLLECT, follow the simple instructions, and your call will go through in seconds. Calling home? Save yourself money! 1-800-COLLECT. Dial it today.

Attachments:
      Renita
      Participant

I commend your perseverance. This is my first time hearing your recordings. So, unfortunately, I won’t be able to congratulate any improvements.

I’m here because Coach Goldberg recommended that I critique a few peer recordings to help me self-critique and edit my own recordings as if I were a director.

I like your friendly tone. I will pass on a tip I received in a coaching session a few years ago; “pretend you are talking to a friend”. This will allow you to sound more conversational, natural, and not like you are reading. I hope this helps.

To your success!
      — Renita —

Logan DFD
    Participant

Here I am again, with the last practice with these three scripts! I tried to implement the feedback I got, so hopefully things will be even better this time!

Atlanta Bread Company

When you think of Atlanta Bread Company, don’t just think ‘bread’.
    Think of an entire breakfast menu – fresh-baked pastries, hot breakfast sandwiches and specialty coffees.
    Think of our Cafe with savory sandwiches, daily soups and crisp salads.
    And don’t forget…we can cater your next special event or meeting!
    Atlanta Bread Company – more than just bread.

Special K Red Berries

Putting strawberries in cereal wasn’t our idea.
    Putting them in the box was.
    With slices of real strawberries and crunchy sweet flakes, looking good never tasted so good.
    Special K Red Berries.

A1 Steak Sauce

With steak, you want to make every bite count.
    That’s why we use A-1 Steak Sauce. A-1 brings out every single bite of steak, or even hamburger.
    Mmmmm, delicious.
    For me, there’s only one steak sauce, A-1.
    Because A-1 has all the taste that makes every bite count.

Attachments:
      Renita
      Participant

I like your tone of voice and you did a nice job emphasizing the brand names.

The recommendations I would make as you continue to perfect your skills:
      * Try to visualize the visuals that will accompany your read so you can add appropriate tones with the words, i.e. A1 – “Mmmm, delicious” was a little flat as opposed to how you would say it if you were imagining taking a bite of a big juicy burger 🙂
      The same applies to reading the menu items in the Atlanta Bread read.

* The read sounds a bit choppy. Try to read a few more words in your one breath to smooth out the read, while maintaining the nice slow pace you used.

* I’ll pass on a tip I received a few years ago, pay attention to how you talk with your friends/family (record it if necessary), then try to incorporate those elements in your read.

To your success!
      — Renita —

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.