Feedback Forum

• Creator
    Topic
    David Goldberg
    Edge Studio Staff

The Edge Studio Feedback Forum is the best place for you to post a recording and get feedback from the community! Record in your home studio, upload the file, and see what people think. This is a great place to get some advice on your technique, on your home studio, or to ask for people’s opinion on your reads. Remember, that this is a community forum, so please remain positive and encourage your peers in helpful ways. If Edge Studio feels that a user is too negative, or antagonizing other members of the community, they will have their posts deleted, and risk being banned from further communication. 

Stay positive, listen to each other, and have fun!

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
    bevy
    Participant

Good Day,

I would appreciate your feedback on my final narration training assignment. I have been working on eliminating glottal noise. Any other suggestions on improving are also welcome. Thank you!

Scripts:

Relaxation:

To begin, make yourself comfortable, it’s best to lie on your back. Put your arms by your sides not touching your body. Put your feet slightly apart. With each exhalation let all the tension out of your body. Let the tension just dissolve and flow out.

American Airlines:

Welcome aboard American Airlines coast-to-coast service. We’ll be happy to do everything possible to make your flight with us a most pleasurable experience. We’ll provide you with all the information you need to know about your flight, your destination, and the equipment on which you are currently flying. In addition, we are proud to present our American Airlines feature film presentation, for our transcontinental passengers. We’d like you now to remove the plastic insert found directly in front of you in the seat back pocket. Please review the safety information during the flight for your own protection, in the unlikely event of an in-flight emergency.

Real Estate:

Would you like to buy a house?
    Maybe it’s your first house, or even your second and you just think that MAYBE you didn’t think hard enough about the last one.
    Listen, I love real estate. And in most cases, even a bad deal can work to your advantage in the very long run. But there are dumb things that people do without realizing it when they buy a house.
    Humor me for a short story before we get into the meat of this video.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Provocaleric
      Participant

Bevy,
      You have a pleasant, friendly sound! Your recording sounded a bit loud, perhaps the gain or compression was a bit hot, but I especially liked your American Airlines read

bevy
        Participant

Thank you so much for the feedback! I will look into my equipment and adjust the sound.

Anonymous
    Inactive

good

Bil-Bo
    Participant

Earthbound Farm

Here at Earthbound Farm, we don’t use any harmful chemical pesticides. All of our organic salads, fruits and vegetables are grown in harmony with nature. And while farming organically may cost more, we think you’ll find Earthbound Farm organic produce is an infinitely better value. Because with each crisp, delicious bite, you can take comfort in knowing you’re protecting your family’s health. Now and for years to come. Earthbound Farm. Food to live by.

Attachments:
      Provocaleric
      Participant

A great natural sounding read! The only thing is the recording sounded a bit loud. Good Job!

JustJohn
      Participant

Sounds like a keeper to me.

DillonP
    Participant

Here is some recordings this week, please give me your thoughts.

Attachments:
      Provocaleric
      Participant

Hey Dillon,
      I loved your enthusiasm on the Dominos ad and the political spot, your voice sounds wellsuited for these spots, however I’m hearing too much room reflection and clicks in your mic. Izotopes Voice denoiser is awesome!

DillonP
        Participant

Thanks for the input I’ll make sure to remember that and improve more.

HillOKeefe
    Participant

Hello everyone! I’d much appreciate a critique of this audition for performance and audio quality. No slate was requested and I thought this one take covered everything my gut told me to go with. I haven’t been practicing as much as I should so be honest – it’ll light a fire under my b**t. Thanks!

HillOKeefe
      Participant

Whoops! Acceptable file now attached.

Attachments:
        Provocaleric
        Participant

You have a nice clear sounding voice. You sound trustworthy and local. The only thing I can think of to critique would be to get even more connected to your copy by giving a adding a little more dynamics with your tone. I love those Wells Fargo ads, so emotional.

Watson
    Participant

Hi, everyone ~

First time poster, but I would love to have some feedback on my two reads below. Thank you in advance. 🙂

Attachments:
      HillOKeefe
      Participant

Hi Watson! I LUV these! Your energy and take on both is spot on for what I imagine is a Gen Z target audience. My only critique is some audible breaths and room noise in the first file. Other than that, you nailed both.

carynbell
    Participant

REPOST WITH SCRIPTS:

BOYS & GIRLS CLUB

PUT THIS CARD IN THE HANDS OF A CHILD AND THERE’LL BE NO ROOM FOR A GUN. A NEEDLE. OR A KNIFE. IT’S ONLY A PIECE OF PAPER, BUT THAT LITTLE MEMBERSHIP CARD HAS HELPED KEEP MILLIONS OF KIDS OFF DRUGS, OUT OF GANGS AND IN SCHOOL. TO LEARN HOW YOU CAN HELP THE BOYS & GIRLS CLUBS, CALL 1-800-854-CLUB. BOYS & GIRLS CLUBS OF AMERICA. THE POSITIVE PLACE FOR KIDS.

GEICO

THESE DAYS, IT SEEMS AS IF EVERY CAR INSURANCE COMPANY NEEDS A SYMBOL. THINGS LIKE A BLANKET OR A HAND. WELL, IF GEICO HAD A SYMBOL, IT WOULD SURELY BE THE FRONTAL LOBE OF THE CEREBRAL CORTEX. YOU SEE…IT’S HERE, DEEP WITHIN THE BRAIN, THAT NERVE IMPULSES FIGURE OUT, “HEY…IT’S SMARTER TO BUY CAR INSURANCE FROM GEICO.” OVER 10,000 DRIVERS SWITCH EACH WEEK! SO CALL FOR A FREE RATE QUOTE TODAY. YEP, THE BRAIN’S A GREAT SYMBOL. WE JUST CAN’T IMAGINE THE MEDULLA OBLONGATA ON OUR STATIONARY. CALL 1-800-4-GEICO. GEICO DIRECT, THE SENSIBLE ALTERNATIVE. NOT AVAILABLE IN
    NEW JERSEY OR MASSACHUSETTS.

Attachments:
      Under1VO
      Participant

Hi Carynbell, really fun reads- I like your voice and I believe you have talent! I’d suggest working a little on mic technique- try backing away from the mic just an inch or two and speaking off-axis a little bit and see how that sounds. That should help reduce some of the distortion and plosives. The only other thing that stands out is around halfway through your Geico read the recoding seems to get louder, like it’s a part where you cut two different takes together. Again though, really good reads!

SuperLuke
    Participant

Hello everyone on the Edge Studio Feedback Forum. Attached is my First Animation Voiceover Demo Reel that I created with Edge Studios last year. Special thanks to Jay Snyder for his excellent coaching and for helping me create this. I have been auditioning every day for voiceover work with this as my “calling card”, scoring 9 roles. Please feel free to have a listen and tell me what you think about it.

Thanks,
    -Luke Herbel

Attachments:
      michaelflemingvoice
      Participant

Animation demo – BOOM, right out the gate with your amazing tone in the 1st vignette. After hanging out with you on the AMAs, I wasn’t expecting such a deep, rich voice. Now vignettes 2-5, I was noticing some enunciation issues that made it hard for me to understand what I was listening to right away, but then in 6-8, I felt you were back in the saddle. Number 7 is hilarious! I would maybe make that your #2 instead of the old west, so that your listener hears your acting range right away. Again, it took too long to understand what you were saying in 2-5, and the British accent in 3 could either fit for a very specific character someone is looking for or turn off the listener. If you like it, I’d say maybe switch it with #6 or put it at the end.

June henchman number 3 – I’m not sure which voice was yours. The narrator/main character has some lazy mouth. The Japanese character was great. But because I’m not sure who you were, I’m not sure what to critique.

Isolated Speech – Around the :56 mark, I could hear the editing, which is the bane of my beginner existence. If I remember correctly, you have a disability that you are overcoming, right? So what you are able to do is impressive. I noticed that ‘s’ before ‘t’ as in ‘past’ and the non-sonorous ‘th’ sound in ‘through’ might be difficult for you, as well as the ‘r’ sound. I wonder what you can do to work on that…I would have no idea.

In the end, your tone is great, and your animation reel was very fun to listen to. Keep up the hard work!!

SuperLuke
        Participant

Thank you Michael for your critique of my First Animation Demo Reel! It was fun performing those characters. I put the most effort into my 1st character, with the weapons contracts. Speaking with the British Cockney dialect got rid of my speech problem. I enjoyed making the Mcfatty’s commercial to be funny. I’ll see if I can reorganize my Demo characters. Maybe add another character in my tonal range, perhaps?

In the performance of “Sound Stories June”, I am 1 or 2 Henchmen of the Japanese Yakuza mob. I use my Deeper register to swear, curse, and speak English as well as Japanese. That was me.

I was hired to perform, “The Isolated speech of N”, tired at midnight. As for my performance, yes, I struggle with something and I have lisps and stutters with the S and Th. My R’s are just fine though.

Thanks for the advice and positively honest critique.

SuperLuke
      Participant

Also, I would like an honest critique of how well I performed these 2 roles for clients.

Attachments:
    carynbell
    Participant

Hey all!

Still trying to figure out what type of reads feel the most natural for me voice and personality. Feedback is appreciated!!

Attachments:
      pharlin
      Participant

Caryn, Loved your voice quality. Very rich, warm, inviting, & conversational sounding. Both reads were well paced.
      The Boys & Girls Clubs script fit your voice very well!

Robert Broussard
    Participant

Just practicing, any feedback is appreciated. Thanks

Attachments:
      SuperLuke
      Participant

I enjoy hearing your voice in this performance. Good background music, giving the listener a feel for the kind of performance you are trying to go for. It sounds like you were cut off from your script sample at the very end though.

Marco Rigazio
      Participant

Great voice Robert! I would like to hear this read with a little more ‘authority’ and perhaps some changes of inflection throughout.

Robert Broussard
        Participant

Thanks those are good points. Appreciate it.

Viewing 3,148 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.