Performance anxiety, or stage fright, can really get in the way of giving our best performance, especially in high stress situations like your first demo recording, auditioning for a big client, or walking in to your first professional recording session. We all experience this, from those new to acting all the way up to the most seasoned pros. But there is nothing worse than being brought into a booth to do a record, or patching a client in for a remote home studio session, and suddenly you panic; your heart races, you have trouble breathing, and you lose control of your voice. Suddenly, the whole session is ruined.
Terrifying, right? Well, there are things that you can do as an actor to help combat stage fright. From breathing exercises to mindfulness techniques, you can learn why your body goes into a “flight or fight” panic, and how you can prevent this reaction for future records.
In this one hour webinar, we will review what stage fright is and why it happens, as well as how to counteract that stress response with mindfulness techniques so you can get out of your own way and give your very best vocal performance.
This class will cover:
- What is ‘Stage Fright, what effect does it have on your body, and why does it happen?
- Physiological and cognitive manifestations of stress
- Impact on performance; from your breathing, to your vocal control, to a tense body/posture
- Exploring the topic of “What is Mindfulness?” and how does it work to counteract the stress response of “stage fright?”
- Mindfulness techniques and resources that you can use in your voice over career to ensure you don’t let stage fight get in your way again.
Lara Hirner is a certified Speech Language Pathologist practicing in Boston, MA and Edge Vocal Care Coach. She also teaches Vocal Health – the basics of caring for your instrument, and works one-on-one with students to help keep their voices in tip-top shape to handle the demands of the voice over industry! If you want to work with Lara one-on-one, you can book your Private Coaching Session here.