So you’ve got an animation audition, congratulations! But how can you best prepare for that audition to make sure you impress the casting team? Should you be creating an original character, or should you record your best Gollum impersonation? In this four-week long class, animation casting director Joanne Boreham will take you through the do’s and don’ts of how to best approach an animation audition, and how to develop original characters.
In this class, you will learn how to approach your audition material with a critical eye to determine the tone and approach to a scene according to the project’s target demographic. You’ll get the opportunity to practice sides live with Joanne, learn what is important in a self-taped audition, and practice live virtual auditions with re-directs. You’ll learn about walla, best practices for marking up scripts, and of course have some fun along the way!
In this class, students will:
- See how to differentiate between target demographics and adjust their characters accordingly.
- Learn about and get an opportunity to practice walla
- Explore a character’s ‘hidden dialogue’
- Learn about the importance of clarity and diction in the animation field
- Practice “Marking Up” their scripts to enhance performance
- Learn about the difference between on camera and animation auditions
- Find strategies on how to approach self-taped auditions
- Get the chance to do some mock auditions with redirects with casting director Joanne Boreham
- And of course, work on character voices!
After starting out as a recording assistant while going to university, Joanne gradually moved into casting and then voice directing. She’s cast and voice directed several hundreds of hours on animated series, including Franny’s Feet, Angela Anaconda, and Luna Petunia. She branched out to on-camera casting around 2000 and currently moves back and forth between animated and on-camera projects.
While she has done casting and voice directing for commercial voice over, her passion is in animated series and film. She has been coaching and teaching aspiring voice actors for over a decade.