A Personal Evaluation - the first step in becoming a voice actor.
An opportunity to be assessed. And if you have potential, get a plan.
You have the interest, but is your voice marketable? How well do you pick up skills?
Before committing to voiceover training and a voice acting career, it makes sense to really find out if it’s for you.
You have the opportunity to work with an Edge Studio coach, to see if you have potential. Our coaches are recognized as among the best in the business — experienced directors and trainers. They’re also full-time working voice actors who collectively have a comprehensive view and understanding of current VO industry dynamics. And this evaluation is recognized among agents, casting teams, and production clients as “The place to begin your voiceover work.”
1. You’ll read real scripts, and receive personal direction and feedback.
2. By the end of your evaluation, the Edge Studio instructor will determine which areas of voiceover you should pursue professionally, which voice acting auditions will be most relevant to you, and what training path is best suited to you. And they will answer any questions you may have.
3. Afterward, we’ll follow up to review the instructor’s recommendations with you, and we’ll help you map out the steps to take for the best training path and voice acting classes for your skills and voice.
Choose the Version You Want
1-hour Private Evaluation Session
Appropriate For: Casual Learner/Aspiring Professional
Private evaluation sessions take place via Zoom.
Spend an hour working one-to-one with an Edge Studio coach – one who knows the VO industry inside and out, and is experienced at judging potential.
After you signup, we’ll get in touch to discuss your preferred schedule.
SKU: 01t3x000008nfrZAAQ Category: Private Coaching Session
Why a 1-hour Private Evaluation?
- Some people just feel more comfortable working alone, especially when starting out.
- It’s efficient and easier to fit into your personal schedule.
- It replicates the classic VO scenario, where the voice actor/narrator works one-to-one with a director in a commercial studio.
- We can accommodate most special needs.
3-hour Group Evaluation Class
Appropriate For: Casual Learner/Aspiring Professional
In this interactive, three-hour class, you will work in a small group setting, via webinar or in person at our studio, with one of our Edge Studio Instructors.
You’ll read voiceover scripts, be directed, have Q&A time, and have a private discussion with our team (the next day or so) to review your assessment.
Group evaluation classes are offered:
- Via zoom-webinar – with a live instructor
- In New York City, at the Edge Studio voiceover casting and production studios in Midtown Manhattan
- In Los Angeles, at our partner studio, Voice Trax West
SKU: 01t3x000008nfrVAAQ Category: Class
Why a 3-hour Group Evaluation Class?
- It’s a realistic representation of the voiceover environment; In which the voice actor reads scripts at their own home studio, and the client listens, directs, and gives feedback remotely.
- Observing other students helps you develop your “ear.” Voiceover performance is approached in various ways, depending on each student’s personal nature, ability, and other factors — as you’ll see when other members of the class read.
- More than that, you will learn by observing the other students’ response to direction. You learn by taking direction yourself, but you learn even more by hearing the changes other people make.
- Ultimately, you’ll learn how to incorporate that insight into your own delivery.
- The group class is economical, longer, and just as productive.
Benefits of learning voiceover – for beginners at Edge Studio
The benefits are real, important, and many …
In both types of evaluations, you’ll be assessed by a VO professional, experienced in assessing the marketability of your natural voice, your performance, your vocal control, and your directability.
Your coach will select a variety of actual scripts, and you’ll have the opportunity to read them. And in both types, you’ll get straightforward feedback.
This evaluation is a great way to explore voiceover for beginners, but there’s no such thing as a “beginner script.” The scripts you’ll read from will be fully professional – actual scripts used in the respective genres, with real vocal challenges and opportunities. (More on that last part, below.)
You will also explore other potential VO material that you may not have considered. That’s an important component in voiceover training for beginners. Consider: When someone asks a prospective voice actor what kind of voiceover they want to do, many people typically answer one or two of the most visible genres (such as, “commercials,” or “narration” or “audiobooks” or “animation”). But there are more than two dozen distinct VO genres, and many subgenres and other ways of specializing.
After the evaluation, you will have a follow-up review with an Edge Studio Education Advisor to discuss the areas of voiceover where we think you would be most marketable. Our guidance advisor will recommend the best training path and voice acting classes for your skills and voice.
During the evaluation and your follow-up review, find out:
- In what genres is your voice marketable?
- What is your vocal range?
- How directable are you?
- Should you specialize in acting or no-acting genres? For example, if your interest is audiobooks, should you focus on fiction or non-fiction books?
- Where is your voice on the “formality” spectrum? Are you more suited to narration and education? Or instead, should you target commercials and character work?
Some of these answers depend on you. What genres interest you? Your preference will help determine what skills you need to pursue in voiceover classes. For beginners, we also describe what type of coach(es) to work with, and other factors.
- Our voiceover training for beginners helps people make informed choices from the very start.
- In some cases, a person will have factors they’ll need to correct or overcome. If so, we will also mention those, privately and candidly, including the possibility that voiceover work is not for you.
- After all, not everyone is suited for this. And people need to know that. Edge Studio’s excellent reputation is based on training VO professionals and people with professional voice-acting potential; we never string someone along.
Why Edge Studio?
Edge Studio has launched successful voiceover careers for more than 30 years. Our training program and demo reel production are considered to be the best in the voiceover industry, for both beginners and seasoned professionals. If you are interested in launching your part-time or full-time voiceover career, Edge Studio is the perfect place to start.
Here’s why we have a helped launch thousands of people as working professional voice actors:
- Live training. We believe that live interaction with coaches and instructors is the best way to learn a new skill.
- Classes allot for Q&A time.
- Support – lots of it.
- Our team is comprised of numerous, fulltime working professional voice actors, who collectively create the feel of a university.
- Dedicated Education Advisors guide you through every step of the learning process, including which voice acting classes to take … and when.
As well as…
- Train from anywhere. We specialize in training students remotely. Remote recording has become a standard practice in the industry.
- Important peripheral education opportunities. Including a wide array of continuing education classes that will teach you how to market yourself, create a home studio, develop your business plan, and hone your vocal technique.
- Private one-to-one training with working professionals.
- A flexible schedule based on your availability.
- The most marketable demos in the voiceover market today.