Home Studio Troubleshooting

• Creator
    Topic
    David Goldberg
    Edge Studio Staff

Need a little help with your home studio? Ask the Edge Studio community! Someone may be able to help point you in the right direction. This is a great place to discuss equipment, software, acoustics, and soundproofing.

Remember, this is a community forum that is centered around positive reinforcement – it’s not a place to criticize other peoples’ setups. Also, please do not negatively review any product or service on this forum.

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
    BrianWigginsVO
    Participant

Starting to spec out the new recording booth so I can finally get out of my converted closet and into something a little larger, cooler, and quieter. Anyone have any suggestions around the carpet for the walls to help deaden the sound? I’m going to have double-layers of drywall inside and out with Green Glue in between, and insulation in the walls with offset studs to help really isolate the sound, but want to make sure I’m taking the room sound out. I’ll be hanging 2’x4′ panels of 2″ mineral wool in there to really get things squared away, but really want to make sure the sheetrock isn’t causing any issues.

Official81
    Participant

Hello my name is Lexi and I am brand new to the industry. I am having difficulty calibrating my recording levels from my audio input to -6 to -18 range. Any suggestions? My audio chain: PVC booth w/ moving blankets, Rode NT1-A w/ pop filter, PC, DAW is Audacity, Interface Scarlett 2i2. After I record and edit audio (noise profile>noise reduction>normalization) playback levels are always 0 to -6 peak range.

James
      Participant

I am also new to the game, but not so net to computers and sound editing. These are my settings I use in audacity and they are readily available online as well.

On my setup, the mic input stays at about 75% to 80%, this keeps the noise floor low. My current “booth” isn’t fully sound insulated just yet so my noise floor stays about 55db, my aim is 60db.

-Sample rate:
      Set the sample rate to 44100 Hz or 48000 Hz. These are the standard
      sample rates for most voice over work, and they provide a good
      balance between audio quality and file size.

-Bit depth:
      Choose a 16-bit or 24-bit depth. A higher bit depth provides a
      more accurate representation of the audio signal but also increases
      the file size. For most voice over projects, 16-bit depth is sufficient.

-Channels:
      Select the “Mono” option. Voice over recordings are typically in
      mono, as it results in smaller file sizes and is easier to work
      with in post-production.

-Use a pop filter:
      A pop filter will help reduce plosive sounds (such as “p” and “b”
      sounds) and improve the overall clarity of your voice over recordings.

-Proper microphone technique:
      Make sure to maintain a consistent distance of about 6-8 inches
      from the microphone and speak at a slight angle to avoid direct
      breath noise.

-Normalize:
      Normalize all your audio to -3.

-Noise removal:
      You can get the noise profile from a non speaking part of the audio.
      Open noise reduction again and …
      Set -Noise reduction DB is 12. or for more agressive, 29
      Set -Sensitivity is 6
      Set -Frequency Smoothing is 3

-Equalization
      Applying equalization (EQ) can help enhance the clarity
      and presence of your voice over recordings. Here’s a
      simple EQ technique in Audacity:

-Select the entire recording (Ctrl + A).
      -Go to Effect > Filter Curve EQ.
      -Choose a preset like “AM Radio” or “Bass Cut,” or create
      your own custom curve by adding points and adjusting their
      position on the graph.
      -Click “Preview” to listen to the effect and make
      adjustments if necessary. Click “OK” when you’re satisfied
      with the results.

-Compression
      Compression is another important tool in voice over
      production, as it helps to balance the volume levels and
      gives your voice a more consistent and polished sound.
      Follow these steps to apply compression in Audacity:

Select the entire recording (Ctrl + A).
      Go to Effect > Compressor.
      Adjust the settings as needed. A good starting point is
      to set the
      “Threshold” to -18 dB
      “Ratio” to 4:1 or 3:1
      “Attack Time” to 0.10 or .20 seconds
      “Release Time” to 1.0 seconds
      Check the “Make-up gain for 0 dB after compressing” option
      to automatically increase the overall volume after compression.
      Click “Preview” to listen to the effect and make adjustments
      if necessary. Click “OK” when you’re satisfied with the results.

Earthbul
      Participant

Did you ever figure it out ? I’m having a similar problem with pretty much the same equipment. I’d love a perfect routine for Audacity. What’s yours ? Noise removal, eq settings etc. Thanks so much

AdrianMM95
    Participant

Hi All,
    This is my first time on the forums!
    I’m recording in a bedroom corner with acoustic foam, currently using the Austrian Audio OC818 Condenser microphone to record my audio through adobe audition. The interface it’s connected to is the TC-Helicon GoXLR. The only thing I worry about is if background noise is being introduced into the recording.
    Is there an optimal gain or EQ setting when setting up a microphone to be “Perfect” if there’s ever such a thing?

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by AdrianMM95.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    joshtaylor
    Participant

My question is for my people just starting out with the humble beginnings of a studio. I need some advice (and honestly some encouragement) around getting audition-worth worthy recordings in less-than-ideal scenarios. I made an insulated box built around my condenser mic since I don’t have a workable closet. I’m still getting quite a bit of background noise and dealing with cars and planes and whatnot living in a suburban area. I also live with three family members and finding a good workflow is so frustrating sometimes while all of us are stuck at home. There’s so much noise! I have been using Izotope RX7 in order to help with the noise control. I’m just feeling pretty discouraged about being able to begin landing jobs so I can invest in a better space and equipment and actually be able to compete with the vo artists that have the “perfect room” and such and can turnaround auditions quick. (i.e.- being able to move out lol). I lost my job due to covid and have been at ground zero trying to build this business since July. What solutions have you found if you’re in a situation like mine?

Attachments:
      opti
      Participant

Sorry I think I’m reading this very late. Hope you managed to improve everything. But if not, here are a few things to take in mind.
      The mic is too far away from where your mouth will be. You should place the mic between 3 to 5 inches away from your mouth, depending on the kind of read you are working on.
      The box you built might not work as you would want, but I would add a heavy moving blanket and this should cover you too when you are recording.
      Hope this helps.

SuperLuke
    Participant

Do basements make a good recording studio, in a cubicle?

SuperLuke
    Participant

I have been trying to perform scripts with my home studio setup that I have so far. But there is always a hissing sound or something in the background. Every time I send a recording to the feedback forum, or to the engineer, there’s something that isn’t quite finished that makes me sound echoed, or my voice bounces, or something like that. Anyone have advice on what to do? I’ve tried sound reduction. But it makes my voice go in and out, not sounding the best. Any advice is welcome. Here’s a sample recording of my magician character, featured in my demo I’m working on with my coach.

Attachments:
      mravenel
      Participant

Hey superLuke, need more info about your studio to really try and diagnose the problem. Basements can be great spaces to work in, but like any space they need acoustic treatment. That might be what’s needed some thick moving blankets what ever can deaden the room. Also in the recording there is some clipping distortion when you are at your loudest part of the script. Setting your levels a little lower and or adding a little compression to even out the dynamics can help. Great performance though. Hope this may help.

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.