Character

• Creator
    Topic
    David Goldberg
    Edge Studio Staff

A topic for discussing anything and everything regarding voice over for characters.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
    kchilds
    Participant

I’m looking to get into character and animation VO but would like to get some coaching to sharpen my skills.

Does anyone have recommendations or experiences with any animation or character coaches?

Sharon8569
    Participant

Your content helped me a lot to take my doubts, thank you very much.

Sharon8569
    Participant

I have an indistinguishable issue, I am other than looking for a reply.

hoadao3493
    Participant

KUBET999.Vip belongs to KUBET (https://kubet999.vip/) (also known as Thien Ha Bet – THABET), is one of the prestigious, top security and HIGHEST PAYING bookmakers run by Mr. Nguyen Phan Anh – CEO of KUBET 999. Tel: 0906390587. Head office: RCBC Plaza, Makati, Metro Manila, Philippines. Coming to KUBET 999, you will experience the pinnacle of entertainment technology because KUBET always applies new technology to the games, helping customers get the most authentic feeling!!

• This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by hoadao3493.
    Thomas134
    Participant

I profoundly like your dedicated abilities as the post you distributed has some incredible data which is very valuable for me.

Thomas134
      Participant

yes u r ight such a amazing platform
      upsers

• This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by Thomas134.
      • This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by Thomas134.
    JamesRJefferson
    Participant

Good!

JamesRJefferson
    Participant

Fraer’s educational model helps to better understand and decompose any topic into its constituent parts. In the center of the model (square) we write down the topic, concept, rule, etc. In the upper left rectangle we write down the main characteristics, in the upper right rectangle – auxiliary (and formulas). See below for examples and exceptions. When studying a topic, each block is a point in the plan. frayer model templates are provided on the site https://www.storyboardthat.com/articles/e/frayer-model. Students look at a word from different angles, filling in its mandatory and optional characteristics, examples and anti-examples.

wilddoktor
    Participant

I took the same class almost 2 years ago and got a very positive eval; if I had the money, I’d have signed up for the two-demo deal in a New York minute! I feel like Edge is a pretty professional outfit, and I’d trust them with my voice *and* my money (if I had any!).

Ask about their Black Friday sale…I’m drooling over the great prices…

rubasrosh47
    Participant

Hey there. So a few months back I attended Edge Studio’s intro class, called “Investigate Voice Over” in Atlanta. It lasted around three hours, your coach gives you a broad view of voiceover and its different genres/categories, then finishes with a short recording session where you do a cold reading of a provided script. A few days later you receive your evaluation, which tells how “marketable” they found you to be, and which genres of voice over you may be best suited for. They also provide you a list of additional courses they offer, as well as their prices, should you choose to move forward with them.

My evaluation was fairly positive, but of course I want to be wary of taking this at face value. While the whole experience felt very professional and gave me no bad vibes, they are of course a business, and the more money they get from me, the better.

To cut to the chase, I was wondering if anyone else who took this class from Edge could tell me about their own experience/evaluation? I’d love to pursue coaching and an eventual demo with them, but I just want to be sure they don’t tell every student the same thing to encourage them to come back, you know? I’d rather not post the eval in its entirety here, but if someone is in the same boat as me, I’d be happy to share mine so we could compare.

Amitofu
      Participant

My experience has been so-far that they definitely believe most people have the potential to be great voice over artists, not because they are trying to fatten up their ego to sell more stuff to them, but rather most people (not all) with reasonable direction can become good at VO in some capacity. I feel confident that if they thought a person had no potential, they wouldn’t string them along. That being said the bar is pretty low in that most people with a range of normative speech and moderate amount of directability CAN become succesful VOs. It takes work ofc, and I trust their qualifications for teaching the skills needed to improve, but to answer your sentiment, yeah from what I can tell, there is a short checklist they mark about three things you’re good at (tone, taking direction, cadence, etc) and also mark three things that you can improve upon that also happen to be skills they teach (elimintating glotal stops, fluidity, confidence, etc). In short, I think they use the rubric they do in the evaluation so it’s less subjective; not because they want to sell you something (though I’m sure it’s a more than welcome coincidence for them). I know at one point they claimed to only greenlight 50% (I think) of the people who participated in the evaluations. From the interactions I’ve had with the staff, they do seem to passionately care for the students well being as well as respect the art itself.

I signed up for doing two demos with them and the person I spoke to for managing my courses, when I told her I would like to do an animation demo, she (very politely) made sure I understood that it is a highly competitive genre. It was pretty clear she wanted me to set realistic expectations rather than trying to sell and build up salesman promises and I really respected that (and I’m keen wasn’t reverse psychology, haha). Course I kind of knew that from the start so it wasn’t news to me, but still.

The person who did my evauation, Art Bruder, gave me solid pro-con critisism. I feel they were accurate and I don’t feel like he was trying to fill a form quota, but every candidate might be a little different. Who’s to say?

tldr; Imho, I trust their intentions as honest. If they gave you the ‘green light’ it’s probably because they genuinely believe what they told you.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.